cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

vibogdan
Journeyman III

RX Vega 10 (Lenovo Ideapad 720S) update to 18.11 driver?

Hello! I have a Lenovo Ideapad 720s running a Ryzen 7 2700u processor and a RX Vega 10 display adapter. When I run the Lenovo System update it recommends me to keep my 17.7 driver for my Vega 10. But I see that currently we have 18.11 available. I tried installing 18.11 but after installation my Radeon Settings will not open anymore. So I had to revert back to 17.7. Is 18.11 update recommendable for me? Thank you!

0 Likes
2 Replies
jigzaw
Elite

This is a very tricky to answer. I have a HP 15 with Ryzen 7 2500U with Vega 8. You can install 18.11 by installing it from the Device Manager: update display driver and route it folder of your 18.11. However you lose all the overlay or have errors running it. This may affect power saving and thermal control features. I know how frustrating it is that the drivers are not up to date with current release. I was able to install 18.7.1 with Relive functioning with help from the HP forum:Solved: Re: Envy x360 Ryzen Crashes - HP Support Community - 6866127. This just to show what can be done. I find 18.7.1 stable and will stick to it as I hope a real update will be released for the mobile space. I do wish AMD can provide information when or will the mobile driver/chipset be updated to newer version soon. regards

Thank you for your reply. I've done a bit of research in the meantime. I wrote to AMD about this and they pass the 'blame' to Lenovo (or any other manufacturer):

"Please be informed that AMD Ryzen Mobile Processors with Radeon Graphics have been widely adopted by global notebook PC manufacturers, with each adopting individual customizations for each notebook design or series.  Due to the customization, which includes specific software feature support, the generic software driver package from AMD is not supported on those notebook PCs.

Hence, we request you to contact the laptop manufacturers (Lenovo) for the compatible drivers"

So I had to move over to the Lenovo forums to dig a bit deeper to see how I can solve this. At the moment some video issues were solved by updating the BIOS. I'll dig deeper to see if with the new BIOS I can update the video driver also.

0 Likes