cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Problems I Have With My AMD Software Version 18.11.1 And I Want Them Fixed

I have multiple problems and I know they are all software related. I have an XFX RS RX480 8G max clocks are 1288 core and 2000 Memory. here is my default wattman GPU-Z config

Untitled1414111.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem 1. I can't run my GPU at stock clocks in windows hdr mode on. my screen goes black and sometimes recovers for a short time. if it does not recover my pc hard locks no blue screen some time it will rarely restart with no blue screen. this only happens when I am running a game or tasking my GPU. temps are not a factor I can't even get to 75C having this problem at stock if windows hdr mode is off or at idle it is fine. the only crazy thing I noticed was before the screen goes black the voltage drops below 1 volt at the max clock the only. the workaround that I have is underclocking and I have to apply the configuration after every crash/ hangs or power outage. here is my wattman underclocking config. even after being underclocked the problem rarely occurs.

(This Problem has a few fixes but the black screen/ driver not responding may still happen so it is not a 100% fix until it has been fixed in softwere. disabling ULPS ULPS: How to disable and having the last 4 C states in wattman have the same voltage has stabilized the voltages so far.)

Untitled1414.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem 2. having my monitor/TV off for like 1 hour will hard lock my pc. I have a Samsung 8000 SUHD TV and one thing I know if my tv gets turned off or switching inputs my pc thinks the cable is unplugged. I don't know if my GPU does checks to see a monitor plugged in. my tv disables the HDMI ports when off or the input is switched. my pc mite still seeing it but not getting a response resulting in a hard lock. I know it is a hard lock because toggling you num lock or caps lock on your keyboard does nothing. if it was a soft lock the num and caps lock should go on and off. I think one solution is to have an active display monitor so the ports and not disable when the monitor is powered off or the monitor is in sleep mode. and I don't want to pay for a new monitor knowing that t can fix it in software.

(Not Fixed)

Problem 3. this only started on versions after 18.5.1. this has ties to the problem 2 because of my monitor/TV not being a active display powered off / sleep mode or the input is switched. the problem is the audio driver when switching inputs or turning off the audio driver disappears for the driver list. it happens a lot less in the current version 18.10.2 but it still happens. the only workaround is unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable or restarting my pc. another anomaly is that every time I restart / power up my pc. in my windows notifications High Definition Audio Bus keep getting reinstalled and it prompts me to restart but keeps installing on boot up regardless.

(Not Fixed)

4. My Rant/ thing related to these problems

Things I have done to prevent some of these problems are. disable windows fast boot and hybernate, have my moniter always on, and have my computer never sleep. it is a shame that I have to disable some features that I have to wait for AMD to fix these problems I have been going on for over a year.

I have tried different cables and the same problems.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled my drivers and software even used DDU and driver fusion to clean uninstall the software and nothing.

in the past, I did some overclocking I was able to get 1360MHz stable on the core with the stock voltage with HDR off, but I can't even get stock with HDR on. only can get 1130Mhz and it is barely stable and windows HDR is a must have for me with my display.

my ps4 works just fine on my TV and my pc GPU has lots of problems with it. I don't know why but I do know it is not my display and GPU at all. it is all of the crazy software.

Message was edited by: Nathan Johnson

0 Likes
17 Replies

a new problem that has started. now I am getting a green screen but I am able to resolve it by unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable AMD fix this now

I have been messing around with my GPUs clocks and voltages (MY GPUS max default voltage is 1150mV and I never go over it) and I think I found something Resulting in problem 1. I don't know if this is something in wattman or my GPUs VRM. I decided to change my voltage across all c states to be the same and I have been able to be at 1250MHz at 1050mV. A lot more than the 1130MHz I was getting before. My ram Clock is still at 1750MHz when the max is 2GHz just don't want the Ram to overheat. knowing the ram is not touching the heatsink. I think the problem is that wattman or my GPU changes c states that the voltage will change but not the core clock resulting in a black screen or the driver not responding. I think this can be fixed in software when the C state changes making the core clock change first before the voltage resulting in a more stable c state change

all my testing done with windows HDR mode on

the black/green screen still happens but a lot rarer. the thing I know it can't is. my power supply because it is a 750W, Temps Because I don't let get over 75C when the max is 90C

this is not a 100% fix but it helps this page will never be answered in tell my problems are fixed software

I will keep posting every time I find something new and I want one of AMD's tach agest to see this post I know this will help a lot of people.

0 Likes

Assuming you do not have any third party graphics/cpu controls installed, ie Trixx, Afterburner, Asus, etc...you need to set all settings back to default..from the Wattman control panel. Reboot computer.

In Wattman change three things only. Leave everything else at default (automatic).

1.Change Temperature to Manual...

2.Lower 'Target' to 45c...lower 'Max' to 75c.

3. Pull the 'Power Limit' slider all the way to the right (+50/+20/+80,etc)

Click 'apply' at the top of the page.

This removes the power throttling and will engage the fans at 45c and keep the max temperature at or below 75c automatically.

If you have any third party controllers installed on your computer, disregard all the above. All conflict with AMD/Wattman settings and controls.

You can also disable ULPS ULPS: How to disable

I have everything configured it is something to do with the C State voltage change my voltage will sometimes drop below 1 volt and my core clock is still at max the only remedy I have is making the voltage the same to all the C States. now if my GPU switches to state 0 very fast this the black screen will happen. or having it at default settings here is a pic of my current settings you can compare it to my max clocks at the top

Untitled111111.png

0 Likes

You have to raise the power limit as i indicated.

Read Power limit please > AMD graphics performance

just to let u know I did test your settings and it still doses the black screen power limit does not play a factor

0 Likes

"power limit does not play a factor"

If you say so...

A built-in /default setting to throttling your graphics card performance when the power draw exceeds a certain (power saving) level...and you don't think it plays a factor? Good luck..

0 Likes

yes I know about that but why does my voltage go below 1050Mv I can't even get 1288 stable with those voltages only 1250 with everything at default and power limit maxed my core voltage goes from 1050Mv to 1300Mv and back very quickly

0 Likes

You can also disable ULPS ULPS: How to disable

I will give it a test see if it helps or not

0 Likes

it seems to have stabled my voltage a bit on GPUZ VDDC the lowest voltage is 1090Mv and I know the 1288Mhz is stable at that clock any lower it becomes unstable. if my power limit is set to 0 I can't get no more then 1090Mv on the core but it is not a 100% fix that I have to disable the ulps on every driver update why can't it be in the radion setting instead of having to go thru the registry to changes it. plus problem 2 still happens and it always hard locks my system

0 Likes

Final words. I'm done.

"You have to raise the power limit as i indicated.

Read Power limit please > AMD graphics performance"

yes, I did that but the voltages still move around like crazy as long as the VDDC in GPU-z is above 1070Mv at 1288 MHz. it won't black screen but it did get as low as 1080Mv with the ulps disabled.  I did go back to my profile it is the last image I posted. what I know about the power limit with my card is when I try to applying 1090Mv or above with the limit set to 0 that my clocks drop because there is not enuff power unless I increase the limit. having it at 0 makes the voltage more stable. it doesn't move around as much as long the voltage is under 1090Mv. mainly I was not liking the temps it was at 77C max load. I know the max is 90C but I like to have my card below 70C so it doesn't degrade faster at higher temps or voltages

0 Likes

thanks for the help disabling the ulps stabled my voltages a lot more now it is something to do with the max power limits C states going crazy the voltages don't go as low now. this is something that AMD has to fix primarily. I now like that I went from having the black screen at 1130Mhz to now not happening so far at 1250Mhz

0 Likes

if you don't understand what I mean here is a more detailed explanation. every time wattman or my GPU changes C states with setting even at default the voltage get changes first then core clock because of the voltage changes first the core clock becomes unstable resulting in the driver not responding. what AMD has to do is have the C states change the core clock first then the voltage so changes states make it more stable

I have seen my voltage in gpuz VDDC go from 1250Mv to under 1000Mv with the core clock staying at 1288Mhz and this using my default settings

0 Likes

Have the driver you want on your system downloaded and ready to install. Run DDU from safe mode. Disconect from the Internet. Install the driver with custom/clean install, if clean install isn't an option that's fine, as this means DDU got all old remnants already. Now everything should be at defaults. Change nothing in Wattman except raising the Power Limit slider to it's maximum. If this doesn't fix it then you likely don't have a software issue, you have a power issue or card issue. Contact XFX for suppport or try another power supply. If you have another PC available try your card in that PC. Please note regardless of where you use that card, if you want stability in gaming with that card you need to max the power limit slider. Unfortunately it is not a default but is needed by almost every user out there as most of these cards are sold above reference specs and the vanilla drivers supply a power ceiling for reference specs.

0 Likes

I have done reinstalls a lot it doesn't help is not my power supply it is a 750w kingfish helped ms sable my voltage more from the problem 1 but is not a 100% fix because it can black screen do undervolting when switching Cstates. now it will only under volt itself in the power limit is maxed and the last C state is over 1090mV.

problem 2 still happens from switching inputs and going into sleep mode or turning off my display with my computer running ends up hard lock my system. an I know problem 3 is somewhat related to problem 2. don't tell me how to disable fast boot sleep mode and hibernate and forcing my display not to turn off because I have done all of that and problem 2 still happens.

0 Likes