cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

dominator99
Journeyman III

FX 8350 intermittent freezing

Not long after I upgraded my CPU from a 6-core FX 6300 to an 8-core FX 8350 I have been experiencing random freezing whereby the HDD LED stays lit (solid, no flickering) & during this time, which usually lasts for 1 or 2 minutes, the PC is unresponsive to any action I perform (any actions are queued & are performed when the freezing ends). I've changed mobo (same model), RAM, PSU, HDD & even clean installed Win 7 Pro x64 but the problems remains.

As a last resort I swapped back the old CPU (FX 6300) & the problem appears to have gone away! Has anyone else had a similar problem?

0 Likes
8 Replies

Please inform us of the detailed configuration (eg motherboard / graphics / PSU)

0 Likes

GA-970A-DS3P mobo, 2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 360 Series (XFX Pine Group) VGA, EVGA 600W psu, 8.00GB Crucial Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz

(11-11-11-28)

0 Likes

You can try to see if the Windows Event Manager has saved some error codes. If those related error codes exist, you can go to Microsoft or Google to query the error code, you may get some clues to solve the problem.

You wrote on this topic, "Not long after I upgraded my CPU from a 6-core FX 6300 to an 8-core FX 8350", what changes have you made during this period of time? (eg overclocking / changing the memory clock, etc.)

And, you mentioned "I've changed mobo (same model), RAM, PSU, HDD & even clean installed Win 7 Pro x64 but the problems remains."

If you still have these accessories, I recommend that you set up a control group, use the same system, try to use the same accessories as possible, use your FX-8350 for testing, and document the results of the test.

In addition, you can try to update your motherboard BIOS, this may not work, but it may improve or solve the problem.

However, the worst result is that your CPU is faulty (I think the probability is low)

0 Likes

Hi sakuramichitsuki

The only change I made was updating the CPU, everything else remained

the same; no overclocking.

The mobo has the latest BIOS.  I used an Arctic A11 on both CPU's so

both CPU's remained cool (< 30°C)

When investigating the problem I only changed 1 item at a time & ran the

test until the 'freezing' problem occurred; which could be a matter of

hours or sometimes days! Since refitting the FX-6300 2 days ago  the PC

hasn't 'frozen'.

When I say 'frozen' it's not that the PC locks but it's busy doing

something else so any actions I take join a queue & are performed when

the PC returns to normal?

I thought, like you, that CPU problems are very unusual but in this case

it appears to be the culprit.

I'll try raising an RMA with AMD & see if they can find any faults with

the FX-8350 CPU.

Regards

Chris

0 Likes

Sorry, I can't help.

But before RMA, maybe you can contact AMD Customer Support Center first.

See if they have any suggestions

Support Ticket Process | AMD /external-link.jspa?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amd.com%2Fen%2Fsupport%2Fcontact

0 Likes

One thought.

When you changed the cpu, did you clear the CMOS and load defaults?

If not do it next time you change.

..and that's all I got.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes

I found solution in other forums: "SO i figured out the Solution. Turns out amd turbo boost or watever is causing the issue. I've turned that feature off in the BIOS and i haven't experienced a single freeze in 12 hours."

I tried it. I'm stress testing with Prime95 now and everything look OK for now

0 Likes

Also, I hope you notice that the FX 6300 TDP is 95 watts.

And the 8350 TDP is 125 watts.

Please pay attention to whether the CPU has a high temperature problem.

0 Likes