cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

liz81
Adept I

Driver for AMD Radeon HD 8400 /R3 Series?

I'm getting a BSOD with an error saying "Thread Stuck In Driver" or something like that.  So I figured it was time to update my display driver!  I looked at the download page and I see I don't find the driver I have so I guess AMD doesn't offer what I have now.  It's a Catalyst Control Center, which I know is pretty old!  When I was linked to a page to download a new driver some time ago, I was led to go to a "Legacy" page so I figured if I'm going to update my driver, I need to select "Legacy."  So I'm looking around, trying to find the right product for me and I don't see any 8400 /R3 Series around!  I'm not finding anything from Catalyst or Crimson so maybe it's time to start something completely new?  It's been a while since I updated my driver  and the download page is different than the last time I was here!  So now I gotta figure out which one I need but I'm not sure because it's not 8400, whenever I'm looking at the download page.  There's no 8400 that I can see.  I was hoping someone could help point me or link me to the right driver?  I also tried the autodetect and it said Adrenalin 18.10.2 but I've read in the past that I shouldn't be using autodetect and I don't know why.  Should I be using autodetect or can someone link me to the right driver?

Thanks!

0 Likes
5 Replies

I don't think you are looking for the correct driver. Is this a laptop? Do you have a APU?

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Make and model; e.g. AMD R9 290X
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • If a laptop, make and model of the Laptop
  • Operating System
    • E.g. Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • E.g. Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.12

CPU/APU

• Make and model number; e.g. FX 9590 , APU version, etc
0 Likes

Oh sorry, I forgot to give you the information you need!

Graphics Chipset

AMD Radeon HD 8400 / R3 Series

I have a HP 23-h056 touchscreen desktop.

Windows 8.1 64bit

Radeon Software Version

Radeon Software Edition

Crimson ReLive

CPU Type

AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics

As I'm looking for the information, I found out that they actually have an update.  I thought they'd install it automatically for me.  Apparently not.  I'll try this and if I have any more problems, I'll let you know.

0 Likes

Windows 8.1 is dead. Upgrade to Windows 10 while you still can for free.

0 Likes

Ok update:

This is actually confusing.  I told you I have a 16.12.2 version but it says (under radeon settings) I got 16.50.2011-161223a-310013C installed. 

I found an update 17.10-1711-170409a (WHQL) and I tried to update but when it said it was finding drivers, the same 16.50.2011 was found instead of that 17.10-1711... !  What's going on?  How do I get them to install the new version?

0 Likes

That 'desktop' uses Mobility (Laptop) graphics. It is a APU...you install one driver (below) that updates both graphics chips.

AMD Drivers and Support for Radeon, Radeon Pro, FirePro, APU, CPU, Ryzen, desktops, laptops

A6-5200M with Radeon™ HD 8400 Drivers & Support | AMD

Only install this version...not the minimal setup.

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

0 Likes