cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ramchyld
Elite

Windows 10 1809 annoying audio bug on Radeon Adrenaline 18.10.1

On Windows 10 1809, installing the 18-10 monthly security update (KB4464330) and then installing the latest Radeon Adrenaline 18.10.1 drivers causes Windows to spew a message about needing to restart from installing a driver for High Definition Audio Bus every time the machine freshly boots or is rebooted.

I’ve been getting this issue since the Windows 10 18-10 security update landed, but only today when the thing had annoyed me enough that I did a reformat/reinstall and found the error starts popping up after I install the Radeon Adrenaline 18.10.1 drivers. Since i have not installed the drivers for other sound devices yet (Realtek Onboard, SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium PCIe, Blackmagic Intensity Pro or Steelseries Siberia headphones), but installed Windows from a USB stick with the 18-10 update slipstreamed in (done to test if the update overwritten a AMD file and caused this error), i have reason to believe that the driver (specifically, the HDMI audio driver) has a bug.

Can someone at AMD please look into this?

21 Replies
shadow07
Adept III

It's not Window 10 but AMD Driver 18.10.1 I have had installed Window 10 1803 with AMD Driver 18.7.1 without any problem but as soon I installed 18.10.1 was getting same error need to install high definition audio bus driver!!! AMD Drivers are really sucks this days...……….

Well, the reason I upgraded to 18.10.1 in the first place was because 18.9.3 was crashing very frequently on Windows 10 1809. Maybe it‘s just me, however I don’t recall the error ever appearing before KB4464330 dropped. Hence the suspicion that the error is caused by a bug in the Radeon drivers that lay dormant until said update dropped and changed something that caused the error to start happening.

flacofallas
Adept II

I had the same problem.

A lot of instalation events of high definition audio bus

Downgrading to 18.5.1 seems to be the working solution.

Well, the problem is, Subnautica seems to not like 18.5.1 if the GPU is a Vega 64. Will not launch.

0 Likes

Did you tried with another version? Like 18.3.3?

Radeon™ Software Adrenalin Edition 18.3.3 Release Notes

0 Likes

Well, no. Unfortunately, I don't know if I want to go back farther than 18.5.1. In any case tho, I don't use the GPU audio anyway (monitor doesn't even have HDMI in, I'm still using DVI), so it's more like the popup is an annoyance than anything system-breaking.

0 Likes
mikejones
Journeyman III

I am unable to do this on my Windows 10 Lenovo laptop. Please provide me some steps to do on the same Windows 10.

Error Code 0xc000000f

0 Likes
noodles59
Miniboss

I read somewhere that AMD moved the HD-audio driver location in 18.10 hence this annoying bug once you have installed 18.10

Problem is even after going back to an older Adrenalin driver the problem persists.

Well, live with that until it's fixed...

0 Likes

Yeah, still getting the error even after downgrading the HDMI audio driver to the 18.5.1 one. Frustrating. Wondering if I should upgrade it back.

Edit: I see that 18.10.2 just got released. But the Fixed issues section in the Release Notes does not mention this error being fixed :/

0 Likes

Yes, there is nothing fixed in 10.2 - I wonder why they waste peoples bandwidth with such a minor release.

0 Likes

Its a windows 10 RS5 BUG with the AUDIO.

0 Likes

Not only RS5, 1803 has the same issue

0 Likes

I just installed Windows 10 1809 onto a second machine, and going straight to the 18.10.2 drivers, didn't have that issue. I suspect one of the following cases:

• Issue does not happen if you go straight to 18.10.2 and do not install 18.10.1 (ie noodles59 may be correct, you doom the Windows install once 18.10.1 is installed)
  • Issue does not happen due to differing hardware (second machine is an older 990FX motherboard with FX8320e CPU and RX 470 GPU, the machine I'm having issues with is a X470 mobo with Ryzen 7 2700X CPU and Vega 64 GPU).

I suppose I should do a reinstall on my Ryzen machine. Again. To see if I can reproduce the problem.

anduu
Adept I

Just installed 18.11.2

Issue persists here as well.

0 Likes

Its not a driver problem.

0 Likes

Well that certainly clears everything up....sigh

0 Likes

I'm really confused at this point. It's only happening on one of three Windows 10 1809 machines I own. It doesn't happen on my older rig (FX-8320e, RX 570) nor does it happen on my laptop (FX-7600P. R9 M280X). The machine the issue happens on is a Ryzen 7 2700X with RX Vega64 video. Very weird. Also, on my 8320e and R9 M280X, the HDMI audio portion is disabled when there is nothing connected to HDMI. On the Vega 64 HDMI audio is never disabled even if I'm using DVI-D (I use a DVI-D KVM to switch between the FX-8320e and the R7 2700X).

0 Likes
bloodykinggr
Adept II

Same here windows 1803 tried every 18.9.x-18.11.1 driver

0 Likes
gabzi
Adept I

I have R7 2700x,RX480 and did a fresh 1809 windows 10 install and 18.11.2 drivers same bug.Before 1809 install with same 18.11.2 drivers everything worked.

0 Likes
flacofallas
Adept II

I'm so glad to tell that 19.1.2 is working well. I used AMD cleanup utility, install, played some games, like 5 restarts to test...and no more annoying installations.

0 Likes