Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

madbendystrawz
Journeyman III

Windows Not seeing switchable graphics

Hi!

I have a Dell Inspiron 5576. 265 SSD and 1TB HDD.

I have AMD R5 and Rx560. The 560 is the dedicated, 4G.

Adrenaline can see the RX560. Device Manager can see the RX560. Neither World of Warcraft nor Windows sees anything but the integrated R5, and while DirectX "sees" it, it doesn't see it as a GPU... my dxdiag has it listed near the bottom as a system device.

I have...

Uninstalled completely and reinstalled the drivers (several times, actually). I'm on the latest optional.

I've tried both the AMD drivers and the ones provided by Dell

I've flashed the BIOS

I've turned off the powernow thing in the BIOS

I've turned all my settings in Windows 10 to High performance.

I've probably done a bunch more things, including try to talk to Dell (utterly useless) and Blizz and posting at Microsoft. I've tried to communicate via email with AMD support but they just copy and paste answers about reinstalling the drivers. I'm not the only one having this exact issue. I've chatted on the Wow boards with others like this as well.

Somehow, it isn't communicating with Windows, and I am hoping the nice people here can give me a hand.

Some Images below:

Image 1: GPU settings show R560 is installed.

Image 2: Device Manager shows R560 is installed

Image 3: Windows graphics settings does not recognize R560 as an option

Image 4: Wow doesn't see R560

Image 5: GPU settings show it is trying to use the R560 as the high performance card

R560 is NOT running in task manager when game is open

Direct X sees R560 as a System Device, NOT a GPU. I'd post my dxdiag if anyone is interested. The RX560 is there, but it is down the bottom as a device.

Thoughts, please? Thanks!

adrenaline.jpg

devicemanager.jpg

windowsgraphics.jpg

wow.jpg

wowshowingrx560adrenaline.jpg

37 Replies

This a short explanation from DELL Support for Switchable Graphics: Switchable Graphics Information for Notebooks | Dell US .

It mentions that if the laptop is on battery it will use the integrated Graphics and not the Discrete GPU. For gaming, you must have the laptop plugged in for the Discrete GPU to be used.

Also in BIOS do you have something called Power Express as per this article from Dell Support: Issues involving AMD Power Express switchable graphics for the Dell Precision Mobile M4800/M6800 sys... .

Says disabling Power Express under Video settings in BIOS will force the laptop to use the Discrete GPU card.

Also do you have the games in a Profile in Radeon Settings so that the driver will use the Discrete GPU card during gaming?

Hi!

Thanks but I always keep it plugged in.

I also mistakenly called it "power now"; I did mean power express.

Also, please see the final screenshot. You will see that the settings for wow are set to high performance.

So, any other ideas are welcome, as those are steps I have already taken, as mentioned above. Thanks!

0 Likes
madbendystrawz
Journeyman III

Any other ideas?

To Clarify...

I have used the DDU tool to clean up to do a complete uninstall using a different link to it that AMD recommended.

I currently am using the Dell driver installer.

I do game plugged in.

I did disable power express.

I have the most recent Dell BIOS driver.

Why would Windows not see the Rx560 in graphics settings?

Why would the card be listed in the system devices in the dxdiag?

Are there any command prompts to see why/how DirectX is seeing the Rx560?

I'm sure there is something I haven't tried. Yet, if it is in the documentation for the cards, on forums, etc, over the last few months I have tried it.

Thoughts?

0 Likes

Dell's website in support for your Laptop does have an Online Diagnostics.  You can run Dell's diagnostic and see if it see anything wrong with your laptop.

Here is the Dell's Online Diagnostics page: Support for Inspiron 15 5576 Gaming | Diagnostics | Dell US

0 Likes

Like Windows graphics, it doesn't recognize that the RX560 is a video card.

I've run this before, but did it again to show the results.

It says there is "nothing wrong," But:

dell scan.jpg

0 Likes

Possible you are trying to install incorrect drivers.

AMD asks that you supply the important information about your computer/laptop INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

CPU/APU

• Make and model number; e.g. FX 9590

I am having to ASSUME you have a APU...which one?

Laptop graphics update...How to

Hi! Thanks for your reply.

My apologies. I ASSUMED since I had the R5 that it would be obvious that I have one.

Still, I should have mentioned that so that it is clear. The APU, in and of itself, isn't the problem as far as I can tell. All diagnostics indicate it is performing properly and it is running great. Here's some specs:

AMD A10-9630P RADEON R5, 10 COMPUTE CORES 4C+6G (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134)

BIOS: 1.0.7 (type: UEFI)

Memory: 8192MB RAM

AMD Dell Bristol Ridge Driver/Adrenaline Edition: 18.10.1 (but I have tried everything since the 17 series, including testing the difference between the 18.5 and the new 18.10 -- no difference)

Motherboard 0HJ6MY  Verson  A00

This is about why the discrete dedicated RX560 isn't being detected by properly Windows, DirectX, etc, despite being properly installed and showing in device manager and adrenaline. Please re-read and have a look at my screenshots so that hopefully it will convey the problem. I think that will help it make more sense. Screen shots of the driver software, the device manager, etc etc are in the thread in a previous post.

I have the correct drivers, unfortunately. If only it was that easy. I'd throw a party, most likely. Most recently, I used DDU to uninstall before reinstalling from the manufacturer installer again.

I've used the installer recommended for the machine by the manufacturer. I've also tried the installer from AMD directly, to see if it made any difference. I've even used the auto-detect options both here and at Dell to be completely sure. As I considered that a different card was installed than what was supposed to be upon purchasing the machine, I thought that would be prudent.

So, if there are any ideas about the meat of the problem and some real ideas, I'm looking forward to heading them. AMD support wanted me to try the card in a different machine, but I unfortunately don't have one with a motherboard that will handle it. They also wanted me to disable the integrated in the BIOS, unfortunately my BIOS version is one of the ones that doesn't have that option. I'm still hoping this is a Windows problem, and especially because I know I'm not the only one with the issue (although the other guy I have been communicating with on the Blizzard board has R7 with RX560... but same exact issue),

Thanks!

0 Likes

I must be getting lazy.

What kingfish​​ said is very important. A laptop with a AMD APU (CPU with Integrated Graphics) and a discrete GPU Card like yours, The driver that you MUST INSTALL is the APU Driver and not the discrete GPU Driver. The APU Driver has both the integrated and Discrete drivers for your laptop.

If your Laptop is the Inspiron 15 -5576 Gaming, DELL does have a February AMD CHIPSET AND VGA Driver for your computer: AMD Bristol Ridge Chipset and Baffin Graphics Driver | Dell US

If this is the driver you were referring to in your last comment then either Windows is corrupt or your GPU card is defective. Dell's CHIPSET and VGA  Driver should have allowed Windows to recognized your GPU card .

Run SFC /scannow in a ADMIN RIGHTS Command Prompt or Powershell. It should come back with "No integrity violations found".

This is the APU Driver from AMD Download page for your A10-9630P : Radeon™ Software Adrenalin Edition 18.10.1 Release Notes | AMD  or for Windows Qualified APU Driver (Previous Qualified APU Driver) 7th Gen A10-9630P APU Drivers & Support | AMD

Have the APU driver not the GPU driver as both are in the APU package downloaded and ready. I would also add to that, before you install the driver, I would run DDU from safe mode, to remove the display driver parts. Then restart with the INTERNET DISABLED, VERY IMPORTANT TO DO THIS. Windows update has a habit of installing it's drivers instead, getting it screwed up. This will keep that from happening and give you a clean slate for the AMD APU driver install.

Good Luck! Report back how it goes either way please.

Yes, that is the driver of which I was speaking, of course. Sorry if I was clear enough to be completely understood when I said I used the manufacturer's driver. I'm sure you're used to completely tech-numb people posting here who have no idea what they're talking about, so I don't blame you, but while I don't do tech anymore, I worked as a resource analyst running a B2B tech support department for a software company.

I did my homework and quite a bit of troubleshooting before I came here. I need to dive deeper with someone than drivers and I need to bounce around ideas before assuming this is the card.

So, I ran the scan, good idea, and there were no integrity violations found. No real insights there.

I'm still not convinced it is a bad card, though, because don't you think there would be an error in device manager? Windows reports that it is working normally in the device manager, and Adrenaline can see it as well. If it was the card, my thought here is that the Dell Hardware scan would have picked that up.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Wow is using the high performance GPU for rendering as it is set to High Performance.

However, as the 560 is a headless GPU (it has no video display connections),the game will only be able to see the integrated GPU as it is the integrated GPU which is physically connected to the laptop display.

I see the same behaviour on my AMD Switchable Graphics laptop, so this is expected.

Thank you!, That explains why the Discrete GPU is not seen. Good to know for the future.

This answers many similar posts....thanks amdmatt Now the question is...how do we bookmark this post/reply? I can't find the 'bookmark'...

Just to be clear, not all AMD mobile GPUs are headless, some of the higher end models have display connections. But typically all of the low-mid range GPUs are headless and are the most commonly seen on these forums.

I think you can only bookmark the thread.

0 Likes

Yup...I had my blocker on...can see it now

That's not the issue, unfortunately.

As I mentioned... whether I run task manager or hwmonitor, it isn't running when I have a exe listed as high performance running, including wow.

I'll get you all a screen shot when I am on that machine later, in case there's a question of what it looks like when the RX560 or any other card isn't being used.

So, while I appreciate the idea, unfortunately that isn't the answer.

What's next? Any ideas how to actually trouble-shoot this? To reiterate the questions:

If it was hardware don't you think there would be an error in device manager?

Windows reports that it is working normally in the device manager, and Adrenaline can see it as well.

If it was the card, my thought here is that the Dell Hardware scan would have picked that up, also.

0 Likes
madbendystrawz
Journeyman III

@All...

I'd love for this to be easy, but it isn't. If it was, the smarter folks on the Blizz forums, the microsoft forums, Tom's hardware, or Dell forums --- or even AMD Email support --- would have been able to figure this out by now. That's why I''m giving this forum a try. 

I get wanting to go to the most obvious first. I do. We always reboot FIRST and check the batteries are in the right way FIRST, right? Makes sense... but we're waaaay beyond "working as intended."

But, please, it is a waste of all our time to not read the list of things happening before discussing bookmarking a non-answer for this issue.

I mentioned in the first post that it isn't running in task manager. I'm hopeful that's self explanatory, but, yes, you SHOULD be able to see the performance in the graph in task manager or hwmonitor. And while there is a spot for the Rx560 (so, Windows knows it is there, just like it does in device manager), there is no activity when there ABSOLUTELY should be. I hope that's more clear than the first post when I mentioned this.

As I mentioned in the other reply, I'll get you guys a screenshot later so you can see what it looks like in the task manager performance graph or hwmonitor when there's no activity and the integrated is VERY busy in case you've never seen that.  

0 Likes

Okay.

Have you tried other games and been able to verify that they show GPU usage on each GPU in Task Manager, depending on whether the application profile is set to Power Saving Or High Performance?

0 Likes

I honestly don't have anything else installed on this machine other than Chrome and Open Office. I got it in April as a gift to myself so that I could raid more efficiently than on my work dell that only has the R5.

I expected to eventually install other games, but I've been insanely busy with work.

Do you have a recommendation for a game that doesn't have a gazillion gig download that would be an easy test? Would something simple like plants vs zombies or Luxor do it? I have an external DVD drive I can hook up and install little games I have around the house (My Mom in her 70s also games, but she likes those kinds of things now so we have tons of them).

Power settings I have tried, and there is no change.

0 Likes

Do you have the laptop power plan set to performance.

0 Likes

Any simple game with 3D graphics or downloadable benchmark can be used to test this.

0 Likes

I went in to test again in Wow. I am getting something different this time, but I did run a few scans and trouble-shooting steps yesterday and haven't had a chance to test in game until today.

A new clue may be that while I am showing GPU0 (R5) and GPU1 (RX560) listed in task manager performance, BOTH are showing that they have 526MB dedicated and 3.7G shared.

While last time nothing was happening at all on the RX560, now they are showing the EXACT same thing in usage at this moment, and the usage is all in the 526 dedicated.

The RX560 shouldn't HAVE 526MB dedicated, should it?

I'm set to direct X 11 in game right now, because 12 gives me like 9 fps.

0 Likes
madbendystrawz
Journeyman III

Oh and I don't want you all to take that the wrong way... I said "the smarter folks" I didn't mean in comparison to anyone here... I just realized how that must have sounded.

I meant the ones who answer and help the less technically inclined on those boards.

0 Likes

I can tell by your answers that you are not a noobie in computers.

By the way, by your answers what I see is a very frustrated User

Just for troubleshooting purposes. Download a free Diagnostic program that I like using mainly because it is the only program that tests PSUs.

It is called OCCT (Download​ ).  The PSU Test is useless for a laptop. But I was wondering if it will see the RX card and if it does, try and run the GPU Test in full screen with the "Errors" box marked.  See if the GPU card is actually working by using the test.  Not sure how OCCT works in a laptop. So any information will be useful in the future if you decide to try it.

Or you can download any other diagnostic test that you are familiar with to stress test the Discrete GPU card in you laptop.

0 Likes

Yes... highly frustrated... AND not really with you guys. More with Dell but I'm overall cranky at this point. lol

I will try that for sure. Thanks.

0 Likes

I would first follow amdmatt​ advice first. He is one of the Moderators for AMD Forums and works for AMD and his title is Technical Support Engineer.

I checked Task Manager on my switchable graphics system. Both display devices show as AMD R7, when in fact the second is an R9 M385. I started Fifa 18 and set the profile to Power Saving and Observed GPU usage on the first AMD R7. I then exited the game and switched the profile to High Performance mode and observed GPU usage on the second AMD R7, which was positioned below the first.

Looks like Windows Task Manager cannot see the headless GPU either.

To be sure the High Performance GPU was actually being used, i measured the FPS and it was much higher when the second AMD R7 GPU was getting used and the profile was set to High performance mode.

0 Likes
madbendystrawz
Journeyman III

Just in case (from adrenaline):

R5:

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R5 Graphics

Device ID - 9874

Vendor ID - 1002

SubSystem ID - 07E2

SubSystem Vendor ID - 1028

Revision ID - CE

Bus Type - PCI

Current Bus Settings - PCI

BIOS Version - 015.048.000.070

BIOS Part Number - 113-C75100-031

BIOS Date - 2016/09/13 06:01

Memory Size - 512 MB

Memory Type - DDR4

Memory Clock - 1200 MHz

Core Clock - 800 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth - 19 GByte/s

Memory Bit Rate - 2.40 Gbps

2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0000

RX560

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD

Graphics Chipset - Radeon(TM) RX 560 Graphics

Device ID - 67EF

Vendor ID - 1002

SubSystem ID - 07E2

SubSystem Vendor ID - 1028

Revision ID - C5

Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0

Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 3.0 x8

BIOS Version - 015.050.000.000

BIOS Part Number - SWBRT01017.001

BIOS Date - 2016/10/18 23:38

Memory Size - 4096 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Memory Clock - 1500 MHz

Core Clock - 1053 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth - 96 GByte/s

Memory Bit Rate - 6.00 Gbps

2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0001

So, you know, my question is:

R5 Has 512MB dedicated (my apologies for my above typos... I'm multitasking... always) and 3.7 shared in the RAM. K?

RX560 is 4G Dedicated

Now, is there a reason why Task manager would show the R5 usage on my RX560 now?

Now that I see this, I'm going to run hwmonitor again.

0 Likes
madbendystrawz
Journeyman III

I gave a lot of thought to what Mark said about the display, and then re-read the post that was updated by Mark with more info. Thanks. 

So, I did a few searches and decided to try TechPowerUp GPU-z.... because I KNOW this isn't right. 

The results were interesting.

Once I launch Wow, the RX560 launches in TechPowerup, too, JUST like it shows up in adrenaline. However, look at the results:

https://imagebin.ca/v/4KTZOin4tdDN

NOW, look at the R5.

https://imagebin.ca/v/4KTaVinngn9m

This doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense to me. I mean, the results make sense but why they are what they are does not. It has 100% of my RX560 used and just a wee bit of R5.

In Wow, I've shown before that I have only the R5 and autodetect available. Now, there is zero difference in the display and crap FPS between autodetect and R5 in game. I have to play on low settings and I get about 9-10 FPS in DirectX 12, about 30 in Direct X 11. I can switch and apply between the two with absolutely no difference.

So, amdmatt​, you're saying we're back to this being Blizzard? That it is normal for this card to not show anywhere? Is there anything I can do on MY end that can make it so it isn't maxing out this card and using the R5 instead?

0 Likes

Please try what i asked above. Use a third party tool like FRAPS to monitor FPS and test the same scene to see if FPS increases when you switch between Power Saving and High performance in the Radeon Settings games application profile.

0 Likes

Hi Matt!

Thanks for your help.

Fraps has never worked on this machine for whatever reason. I've read about it online and it seems like it is a common issue but I couldn't find a solution. Works fine on my other Dell work laptop.

Anyway, so I got FPSMonitor demo today, in case the in game FPS counter in Wow wasn't accurate.

There is no difference in FPS or any of the other readings it gives between High performance and Power saving.

Both are around 30-32 standing still in game. Couldn't even tell I was switching it back and forth.

The weird thing... in the techpowerup tool, I could see 100% of the GPU being used and a small amount of the R5. The screenshots are in my last post. In FPS monitor, 99% of the APU is listed as used, spikes in the CPU, and the GPU 0%.

I don't know if you're aware, but when Blizz launched BFA, they made changes to the display. There used to be a full screen option, and now we have only full windowed and windowed. Now, I always used fullscreen windowed prior to this, and am still using the same, but I have a feeling their display changes might have something to do with this.

As for other games, none of the little ones I have around the house will run in high performance, they just revert to power saving, so I downloaded steam and I'll look into downloading some game today.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

I downloaded a 3D game called Dawn.

Won't even stay on high for this game, it keeps reverting.

The FPS was like 6 in both steam and fpsmonitor.

I see the last time someone brought this issue up that the answer was to buy a different machine. I have a Dell with just the R5 that I use for work. The gaming performance on this machine is similar to my work machine, which is why I bought this one so that I could play and raid in my downtime --- something I don't get a lot of. 

There apparently are a lot of people who have this problem with this and similar systems, and of course Dell puts them out and then doesn't cover this issue with warranty... and my understanding is that if you can talk them into replacing the motherboard and card that it doesn't resolve this issue anyway. So, no, not doing that. I'm not going to use a gaming laptop as a paperweight and invest another grand in something else. I bought this as a gift for myself 6 months ago and I probably shouldn't have dropped the cash on it with a 21 year old in college.

So, since I'm pretty tenacious, I want to figure out what is truly going on. Not just for myself... but for everyone with this ongoing problem.

If anyone has a suggestion for a game that doesn't have a two day download (sorry, I need the internet to work and I can't have it bogged down for days) that I can try without spending the rest of the day searching AND has been known to run in high performance, I'd appreciate it. I'll be glad to try it, but let's focus on what we do know until I can do that.

Let's recap...

We know that adrenaline will let me set wow.exe to high performance. I've been unsuccessful getting it to stay selected on other games.

We know that GPU-Z says Wow is putting a 100% load on the RX560 and a slight load on the R5's dedicated 512MB.

Alternately, We know that FPS Monitor says GPU1 is at 99% and GPU2 is at 0% and that it is spiking CPU usage. This is in contrast to what it says in GPU-Z, but if FPSMonitor uses the display, that could be why. However, task manager doesn't see that kind of CPU draw during wow that FPSMonitor is reporting.

The FPS counter in monitor and in wow are identical, so wow is reporting properly.

We know that I get the same FPS regardless of whether or not I'm on power saving or high performance in adrenaline.

We know that I get the same FPS regardless of whether or not I'm on R5 or Auto detect in wow settings

Now that we know it is headless, that explains the inability to see it in Windows and why it is in the system devices in dxdiag as opposed to display devices.

0 Likes

I asked before...do you have the laptop (not the graphics card) on "performance"? The default is 'balanced' which will shut down some of the performance settings.

Do you have the laptop power plan set to performance.

As mentioned in the first post and since, all settings in Windows 10 are set to performance. Thanks.

0 Likes

Windows 10's High Performance settings are not the same as they were in previous Windows versions. WOW is extremely picky about the power states. This is very true and affects Nvidia users and AMD users alike. I can't promise this will fix your issue but it is easy and worth trying.

A couple Windows 10 versions back MS introduced the Ultimate Performance plan and it is in all versions of Windows but not visible outside of enterprise versions but can be enabled. This setting makes it more like the High Performance settings of old. See here how to enable this: Windows 10 Help Forums

Another way to easily accomplish this and it also changes some processor states that the above does not is to use Park Control Free and use their  Bitsum Highest Performance Setting. I have personally used this for years and highly recommend it to anyone not minding spending a few cents more on the power bill. Get it here: ParkControlTweak CPU Core Parking and More – Bitsum

If this doesn't help. I highly suggest you download the last driver from your laptops makers website. Run DDU and reinstall that driver with the INTERNET disconnected. You may have had Windows update interfere with the install of drivers you have already installed and that could be the root of your issues.

Please also note that this issue specifically with WOW has been complained about for years with users from Nvidia as well and many never seem to figure it out.

madbendystrawz
Journeyman III

Sorry I called you Mark. ooops

0 Likes
thetekheads
Journeyman III

I have the exact same system, and the exact same problem and I have yet to find a solution. Have you found one? All of my games (Far Cry 5, BF1, STBF) game options / graphics settings all identify the R5 vs picking up the dedicated RX 560. Did you ever find a solution? I found this system as new in box eBay for a steal of a price ($365), and I did a quick look up, had I spent more time researching I never would have bought this.

0 Likes