Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

gabriele
Adept I

Custom resolutions are not accepted by Win10

Hello everybody,

given that I have a htpc used exclusively to watch movies, first in full hd with my HD6670 and now I'm gradually switching to 4k so I just bought a RX580.

Having a 21.9 screen and a video projector without lens memory, I had made custom resolutions (like 1920x820p23) thanks to Catalyst, which were safely hooked by win10 and the player (JRiver). Unfortunately, with Adrenalin, I can not do it. I have done countless tests and this is the situation: if on "screen settings" of Win10 I select 820p60 the image is perfectly centered and the film runs well, if instead I select 820p23 or 820p50 the image is all moved down and comes out from the screen.

And this despite Adrenalin is set to "center" as Scaling Mode. If you set it to Preserve Aspect Ratio or active GPU Scaling, the image is centered but the film proceeds with clicks and the player tells me glitch problems.

Can someone help me? Thank you

Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 motherboard

Intel i5-3550 GPU

RAM 8GB

Win10 Pro

Player Jriver 24

0 Likes
10 Replies

Try this 3rd party utililty for creating custom resolutions. It is called CRU (custom resolution utility) highly trusted and been around a long time.

Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

0 Likes

I had already tried this program, but the resolutions were not really hooked!

With the Catalyst everything was great, I do not understand why now I have to have these problems with a more powerful card and more updated drivers.

I wish I could help more with that. I have no answer to why they make decisions to add or remove certain functionality. You are not the first to have issue with it. The best I can offer is that when the workaround your fellow users here in the forum offer don't help, you are left with hoping AMD support can and will help.

You can open and issue report from driver download page that is just one way notification of your issue. You can open an e ticket that is 2 way support from the contact page at the bottom. There are also links in RADEON SETTINGS. Maybe someone else will read this that has figured something more out and offer help. I too liked the old interface and options better. I do know that MS themselves has pushed with Windows 10 for more of graphical changes to be standardized and controlled by Windows not the drivers. So this may have something to do with the thinking. That is my guess though. I don't know more than you do.

Another thought is you might ask this question on that CRU forum, they have folks way more technical over there than me. They may know how to fix this or at least realize and start working on one for their utility. It might be good to work this from both ends.

Good Luck and please if you figure it out, answer back here as it will help the whole community to better help others next time.

0 Likes
gabriele
Adept I

Despite the continuous contacts with the technical support, and the various updates of the Adrenalin drivers, after 2 months I still can not solve this problem!

I find it rather strange.

I would like to say I am surprised, but they have answered very few support requests I have filed too.

0 Likes
gabriele
Adept I

I have a doubt: in standard timing what should be selected? CVT, CVT-RB, GTF, DMT or Manual?

I admit my ignorance, but with the Cayalyst this doubt I did not

0 Likes

How to Create Custom Display Modes Within Radeon™ Settings | AMD

Definition of Display Terms

The following is a list of definitions for common display settings.  More information can be found on Video Electronics Standards Associations site: https://vesa.org

• Horizontal resolution (px) – The number of horizontal pixels (from left to right) on the display screen.
  • Vertical resolution (px) – The number of vertical pixels (from top to bottom) on the display screen.
  • Refresh rate – The number of times the screen is redrawn per second, expressed in Hertz (Hz).
  • Interlaced – Half the picture appears on the screen at a time.  The other half of the picture follows an instant later.
  • Progressive – The entire picture is painted at once, which greatly reduces screen flickering.
  • G.Pixel Clock (KHz) – The speed at which pixels are transmitted within one refresh cycle.
  • G.Refresh Rate (Hz) – Maximum amount of pixels per second the GPU can write to memory.
  • Generalized Timing Formula (GTF) – A method of generating industry standard display timings.
  • Display Monitor Timings (DMT) – VESA standard that lists pre-defined display timings for various resolutions and display sizes.
  • Coordinated Video Timings (CVT) – VESA standard for generating and defining the display timings.
  • Coordinated Video Timings-Reduced Blanking (CVT-RB) – Reduces horizontal and vertical blanking periods and allows a lower pixel clock rate and higher frame rates.
  • H.Front Porch – The Horizontal Front Porch is the number of pixels between the end of the Active Area and the next Horizontal Sync (distance between the bottom of the display to the lower most portion of the actual image).
  • V.Front Porch – The Vertical Front Porch is the number of lines between the end of the Active Area and the next Vertical Sync (the distance between the right part of the display to the right most portion of the actual image).
  • H.Timing Polarity – Sets the Horizontal sync signals to active high (Positive) or active low(Negative).
  • V.Timing Polarity – Sets the Vertical sync signals to active high (Positive) or active low (Negative).

OK thanks. So you want to make 2 resolutions to send to my Panasonic PT-Ae2000 projector, the first 1920x820 @ 23 and the second 1920x820 @ 50 what should I choose between GTF-DMT-CVT-CVT-RB?

0 Likes

I have no idea Just passing on AMD's info on the Driver Help Portal

You might want to copy and paste all this information to Panasonic. They may be able to suggest the best settings.