Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

rockantha
Journeyman III

PC restarting Radeon Rx 580

Hey everyone,

I have been having on and off again issues with my PC just deciding to restart itself at certain points while playing different video games, this started when I got the Radeon RX 580. If I switch back to my old Radeon graphics card (AMD Radeon R9 200 Series) the issue goes away. From looking through several forums it looks like this issue usually comes from PSU not being strong enough, so I wanted to post what I can of my PC specs to see if people think that PSU (or something else) may be the issue or could it be a faulty card itself. ( I am not that computer savvy so sorry if I don't provide enough spec detail)

System Type x64-based PC

Processor AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 4014 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard ...

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB

Available Physical Memory 25.2 GB

Total Virtual Memory 36.9 GB

Available Virtual Memory 28.6 GB

Page File Space 5.00 GB

The power supply I am using is Rosewill LIGHTNING-1000 Continuous 1000W & 50 Degree C Power Supply

Here is a link to my PC parts, built a few years ago, 2013 I want to say. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VLtH29

Per that site my PSU should be more than enough, maybe it just needs an update because it's old?

I have updated all drivers, tomorrow my friend is going to do a fresh install and see if it helps.

If more info is needed I can try to get it, not sure what specs are needed.

15 Replies

Your PSU is quite powerful enough for your AMD GPU Card. Other Users have been having similar problems with the RX 5xx series card.

You first must uninstall any 3rd party software like MSI Afterburner or Asus Tweak II or Trixx etc. They tend to be somewhat incompatible with AMD Wattman which is installed but you need to activate it. Some Users have no problems running Wattman and MSI Afterburners while many others do. It is recommended to uninstall them.

Active AMD Wattman and then configure your RX 580. Someone like kingfish or others can show you the proper way to configure the RX 580 so that it won't crash so frequently.

This is the latest RX 5xx series AMD Driver from AMD Support for Windows 10 x64: Desktop

To install the latest AMD Drivers. follow these basic steps:

install AMD driver :

1) Download the correct AMD Full Set of drivers from AMD Support. Make sure your Windows is fully updated via Windows Update.

2) Use Windows Uninstall to uninstall current AMD driver and software. Then use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in safe mode to eliminate all traces of the current AMD driver and software from your computer. Delete C:\AMD folder from the Root Directory. Reboot.

3) Go to Device Manager and click on "Display Adapter" and make sure you are on the MS Basic Display Adapter. If not, uninstall the AMD driver using Properties.

4) Try reinstalling the AMD FULL SET OF DRIVERS that you manually downloaded. Make sure to disable the Internet to prevent Windows Update from installing a newer version. Also configure Windows to prevent it from updating Drivers via Windows Update. Also it has been mentioned to disable any Anti-virus programs before installation of AMD Drivers.

5) If the new AMD drivers installs and works correctly, delete again the C:\AMD folder from the Root directory.

6)Enable both the internet and Anti-Virus program (if applicable).

7) Go back to Device Manager and check to be sure your GPU card driver is working and identified correctly.

0 Likes
Hardwood
Paragon

From the other side..

With my ASUS RX 580. I make sure global wattman is not enabled. You do this by restoring factory defaults at Radeon Settings/Preferences

I use Afterburner and have been for my last 4 or 5 gpus.

Do use DDU to make sure you're starting fresh.

Right now I'm using v 17.12.1 and there are Zero problems (other than a stutter issue on newer drivers) on win10 x64 v1709

You  might be on to something regarding your PSU. It's a bit old and even the best PSUs are known to fail. And if it is a  problem you might have warranty left.

You don't mention exactly which R9 200 series you had previously but the 580 uses less power and runs a LOT cooler than my 290x did.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes

When you mentioned the Computer restarts, without any BSODs, by itself while under heavy load it could mean either a Overheating hardware (CPU,GPU, or PSU) problem or PSU power problem.

You can check your PSU by downloading a free diagnostic program called OCCT. It is the only one that actually stress test PSUs. Be aware though, I have read if your PSU is cheap or weak, the PSU test may cause the PSU to be damaged. In your case it shouldn't since you seem to have a high quality PSU installed.

The OCCT PSU Test is basically running the CPU & GPU Stress tests at the same time to put maximum load on the PSU. If you run it and the computer shuts down during the test, it suggest you have a PSU problem. Otherwise, like in my case, it would run showing all the data concerning PSU outputs and temperatures. I have a 7 y/o Corsair (top model at that time) 850 watt Gold plus PSU that has been working flawlessly.

First I want to say thank you very much for helping.

Elstaci, we followed all the steps in you first post last night and afterwards the game did not crash on me in the usual spot, so hopefully it continues working but as it is an issue that doesn't always occur I'll have to keep my fingers crossed.

I downloaded and tried OCCT today, and it did cause my PC to do the same restart processes as the game would after about 4 minutes of it running. So should I be in the market for a new PSU? And if so, I would love some recommendations!

0 Likes

See if your PSU is full of dust and dirt. Try cleaning out the screen to the PSU. Visually check to see if the PSU Fan is working. It is possible the PSU may be overheating and shutting down.

After you clean it as best as possible. Run your game and see if it happens again or rerun OCCT and take a look at the PSU outputs, especially the 3.3 voltage /5 voltage & 12 voltage. Those three main voltages should stay within 10% from the reference voltage. If they go more than 10% than your PSU is bad.

Also while running the PSU Test, check out the Temperatures on the CPU and GPU. One of those might be overheating and shutting down the computer. In fact, Run the CPU test and see if it restarts by itself or finishes. Then do the same thing for the GPU Test in full screen. If both passes without restarting, then it could be a PSU failing. The CPU and GPU tests would cause any Overheating issues to appear since it will be under Full load.

I found out my CPU was overheating and shutting down like yours while I was backing up my Windows drive. Turned out to be my old CPU Cooler/Heatsink was not cooling as good as before. Replaced it will a much more powerful CPU Cooler/Heatsink and no more overheating or computer shutting down. Just an example of what might cause a computer to shut down as though you pressed the Restart button on the computer case.

If your CPU and GPU temperatures are good and not overheating and you cleaned out your PSU in your computer case, than it is possible your PSU might be failing. I don't want to say replace your PSU and later on your computer has the same problem. I am just trying to give you all the information you need to make an decision, if possible.

Everytime you run OCCT, it generates a folder under "DOCUMENTS" called "OCCT".  If the test finishes successfully it will automatically open up that folder with a lot of images. But it will still generate those same images if it stops for any reasons. Go to that folder and click on the first image. It will show you several results while it was running before stopping. you can arrow to the next image on the viewer you are using. See if you notice anything weird before it crashed and restarted. It shows temperatures and voltages etc.

0 Likes

Go into Radeon Settings / Gaming / Global Settings / Wattman / down below the fan settings you will see a power limit slider, slide it all the way to the right, likely this will be +50. This should very much help. If you still have issues report back and there are a couple more tweaks we can try. No need to change anything else until we know it is needed. These cards with the default settings are a bit power starved and this gives them what they need and is still in the normal operational range of the card. 

I don't believe it is a gpu power issue unless it is overheating. The reason why I mention that is because rockantha​ ran the PSU Test using OCCT diagnostic program and the computer crashed within 4 minutes of testing. Similar to when she plays games.

Granted, OCCT does max out the GPU card while testing the PSU which could be due the GPU power configuration as you mentioned.

It is a good suggestion and it's worth a try. 

I didn't know that the RX 5xx series shuts down a computer as though it was overheated due to misconfiguration of the GPU power. I had the impression if it was a power issueit would BSOD or freeze or some other weird symptom but not just shut down by itself. Oh, well, I learn something new every day. Thanks for your input.

I asked the OPS to run a separate CPU Test and see if it restarts by itself. If it doesn't then to run the GPU Test. If the computer restarts within 10 minutes, than it probably is what you said about a Power configuration or its overheating. But if it runs and stays on for longer than 30 minutes then I would tend to eliminate that as a cause.

The OPS needs to report the Temperatures indicated during the testing of all three components to eliminate Overheating issues.

Anyway, you might want to upload photos of the settings using Wattman. It might make it easier for her to understand and configure.

0 Likes

Well pretty much everyone has to raise the power limit on the RX480s and 580s it is a common issue on many cards since they introduced Wattman. This is in hundreds of threads on this forum. My RX 580 wont run a game with any stability without doing this. It blue screens your computer at times and if your settings are to restart on blue screens then it certainly could restart. Either way it is setting that helps more often than not and doesn't hurt anything to try.

0 Likes

I agree.

0 Likes

I ran the OCCT on my CPU and everything seems fine. But when I ran it on my GPU. It remains okay for a min but not restarts my computer. But when running the test on my power supply it almost always restarts immediately.

0 Likes

I would try a couple things. 1. Try that GPU in another system. If it works, not th GPU. 2. If the GPU proves okay, then try it back in your system with a different power supply.

0 Likes

Download Open Hardware monitor and install it and run it. Then run OCCT PSU Test again.  When the test crashes take a look at Open Hardware Monitor and check to see if your GPU or CPU are Overheating.

Also after running OCCT PSU Test check the data in OCCT Folder in Documents. Check the Temperatures and Voltages.

0 Likes

When I run the OCCT test on my CPU nothing happens besides screen freezing now and then. Temp stays no higher than 60. But when i run the OCCT test on my GPU is immediately restarts. And when I run the test on my PSU it goes through the test for 3 mins but then restarts all over again. When I go to my OCCT folder I can't find any data on the temp of the GPU because it restarts so fast.

0 Likes

Sounds like your GPU card is the problem.

1) It is either Overheating and shutting down the computer

2) Misconfigured causing the GPU to shut down the computer.

As mentioned by pokester​, try installing your GPU card in another computer. If it does the same thing, you GPU card is either defective or needs to be checked.

If it works fine in another computer using OCCT then the problem could be your PSU.

When you are running OCCT  PSU TEST it shows the temperatures and voltages while running. Need to run it in Full screen. Keep an eye on the Temperature of the GPU before the test crashes.

Also what does Open Hardware Monitor shows after crashed?

The reason why it crashes during the PSU test because the PSU runs both the CPU AND GPU test at the same time. If you run the GPU test and crashes immediately it will do the same thing during the PSU test.

OCCT GPU TEST shouldn't cause your GPU Card to crash immediately.

0 Likes

This still doesn't help. If i increase the power limit to 50+

0 Likes