cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

nucleartape
Journeyman III

Error 43 with RX 480 graphics card - I feel like I've tried everything!

Current Machine:

• Windows 10 64bit
  • Radeon software Adrenalin Edition 18.10.1
  • MSi Z730-A PRO motherboard (latest BIOS I believe)
  • Intel Core i5 8400 CPU
  • 4GB ram (will upgrade soon)

My current graphics card is a Radeon RX480 8GB reference card. My previous was a Gigabyte RX480 with only 4GB. Both were used, but I had seen them working before I got them in my computer.

After installing my new card, I immediately started having problems with the drivers. I did a full driver clean with the clean uninstall utility and reinstall, trying both the latest optional and latest recommended drivers.

Unfortunately no matter what I do, I always get error 43 in device manager. It says my drivers are fine, but the card just won't work. Unreal games say I need DX11 level 10.0 and then close out.

I would love to know what's going on here; and I really just wish that I could install hardware without things like this happening every time.

0 Likes
1 Solution

download GPU-Z and make sure the vBIOS is the same as in their database for your GPU card manufacturer from here: VGA Bios Collection | TechPowerUp . This is just to be sure the previous Owner didn't modify or updated the GPU vBIOS with a different version.

Try installing the AMD Driver using this basic installation procedure and see if the Error 43 is fixed:

install AMD driver:

1) Download the correct AMD Full Set of drivers from AMD Support. Make sure your Windows is fully updated via Windows Update. Windows Must be fully updated because the latest AMD Drivers requires all the latest "Optional" and "Recommended" updates to be installed.

2) Use Windows Uninstall to uninstall current AMD driver and software and disconnect the internet from your computer. Then use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from Wagnardsoft  Forum in Safe Mode. This will eliminate all traces of the AMD driver and software from your computer.

Delete C: \ AMD folder from the Root Directory. Reboot

3) Go to Device Manager and click "Display Adapter" and make sure you are on the MS Basic Display Adapter. If not, uninstall the AMD driver using Properties.

4) Try reinstalling the AMD FULL SET OF DRIVERS that you have downloaded manually. Make sure you disable the Internet to prevent Windows from installing a newer version. So configure windows to prevent it from updating drivers via windows update. So it has been mentioned to disable any anti-virus programs before installing AMD Drivers

5) If the new AMD drivers installs and works correctly, delete again the C: \ AMD folder from the root directory. To save space on the HDD.

6) Enable both the Internet and Anti-Virus program (if applicable).

7) Go back to Device Manager and check your GPU card driver is working and identified correctly.

Also try installing a previous AMD Driver and see if you get the same error.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

download GPU-Z and make sure the vBIOS is the same as in their database for your GPU card manufacturer from here: VGA Bios Collection | TechPowerUp . This is just to be sure the previous Owner didn't modify or updated the GPU vBIOS with a different version.

Try installing the AMD Driver using this basic installation procedure and see if the Error 43 is fixed:

install AMD driver:

1) Download the correct AMD Full Set of drivers from AMD Support. Make sure your Windows is fully updated via Windows Update. Windows Must be fully updated because the latest AMD Drivers requires all the latest "Optional" and "Recommended" updates to be installed.

2) Use Windows Uninstall to uninstall current AMD driver and software and disconnect the internet from your computer. Then use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from Wagnardsoft  Forum in Safe Mode. This will eliminate all traces of the AMD driver and software from your computer.

Delete C: \ AMD folder from the Root Directory. Reboot

3) Go to Device Manager and click "Display Adapter" and make sure you are on the MS Basic Display Adapter. If not, uninstall the AMD driver using Properties.

4) Try reinstalling the AMD FULL SET OF DRIVERS that you have downloaded manually. Make sure you disable the Internet to prevent Windows from installing a newer version. So configure windows to prevent it from updating drivers via windows update. So it has been mentioned to disable any anti-virus programs before installing AMD Drivers

5) If the new AMD drivers installs and works correctly, delete again the C: \ AMD folder from the root directory. To save space on the HDD.

6) Enable both the Internet and Anti-Virus program (if applicable).

7) Go back to Device Manager and check your GPU card driver is working and identified correctly.

Also try installing a previous AMD Driver and see if you get the same error.

Hey, thanks! After some trial and error, I found the BIOS was not working despite being the same version as the one on the website. I guess it was corrupt. Thanks for the help, everything's working now!

0 Likes

nucleartape wrote:

Hey, thanks! After some trial and error, I found the BIOS was not working despite being the same version as the one on the website. I guess it was corrupt. Thanks for the help, everything's working now!

​​THAT WORKED FOR MY RX480 ALSO

0 Likes