Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

thatlookstasty
Journeyman III

2990wx boot code "FC"

Hello!

I am receiving motherboard Q-Code "FC" while booting with an orange DRAM LED. Motherboard manual lists this as "Reserved for future AMI error codes".

I have used flashback to ensure the BIOS is fully up to date and compatible with the CPU:

I have tried 2 types of RAM:

• Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro CMW32GX4M4C3200C16
  • Corsair Vengeance LED CMU16GX4M2C3200C16

All three of the motherboard power connectors are connected to a Corsair HX1000i, no graphics card, no storage, no other connectors, just CPU, RAM and power.

I have tried battery pull/CMOS reset.

I have tried multiple RAM/RAM slots.

I have had the motherboard replaced (currently testing with a brand new one right now, same results).

Any advice/guidance on next steps... worried that the CPU might be faulty? or compatibility issue?

0 Likes
6 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

thatlookstasty, a little too soon to speculate about defective processor but a fine time to ask your MB vendor Technical Support for help.  Please remove all the memory sticks and see what the boot code is.  If that gives a "no memory" code, try one stick.  What does the ASUS manual say about an orange memory LED?  Running memory not on the QVL is not a good idea.  What is the size of the power supply.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

Thanks for the reply!

I didn't think to mention, I get the FC code even with no memory modules installed...

PSU is a Corsair HX1000i.

I have never usually had an issue running with memory not listed on the QVL although I will purchase some as a last check before I return the CPU.

0 Likes

Thanks, thatlookstasty.  I don't think you need to purchase new memory at this time - you've already run the tests.  Please open a support request with your MB vendor and AMD and see if they can tell you what the error code means.  Have you carefully inspected your processor pads for damage?  Here is my setup and it runs with only 1809 problems right now.  Please avoid W10 1809 at all costs.  Enjoy, John.

Specifications:

MSI X399 Creation , Threadripper 2 2990WX, 3xSamsung SSD 970 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD 960 EVO on ASRock Ultra Quad, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL [Flare X (for AMD)] F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Windows 10 x64 Pro, EnerMax-MaxTytan-EDT1250EWT, Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580,UEFI E7B92AMS.125, AGESA ThreadRipperPI-SP3r2-1.1.0.1

0 Likes

Turns out if was CPU, new one turned up today and I'm booting no issues. I am going to keep this open until I am 100% certain all is working as expected. Thanks for your advice.

That's a hell of a rig, where's the 2080 Ti?

0 Likes

Thanks, thatlookstasty, you are very welcome.  Sorry no 2080 Ti here.  I am hard to define and the real answer, I am just playing, not gaming or rendering.  This is my hobby and getting expensive now.  "The only difference between men and boys is the prices of their toys!"  Perhaps anonymous, at least I do not know.  Glad all is well.  This is a fun system to play with and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

It appears to be a CPU hardware fault. New 2990WX turned up today and is booting no issues.

0 Likes