cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

djblackcat
Adept I

RAM Choices for Ryzen 2700X with ASUS Prime Pro ...?

Hello People,

I'm making a new PC Build.

I bought the Ryzen 2700X CPU along with the motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro and the GPU Gigabyte 1060 Windforce 6 GB.

I'm mostly going to be using this build for Video Editing, Video Rendering, Encoding, Sound Editing and maybe some occasional gaming.

I won't be overclocking, but this PC is going to be working many hours, maybe 24 to 48 hours continuously.

I have read and watched many reviews and articles about the RAM choices and compatibility for the 2nd generation ZEN processors.

But I'm afraid things are not that clear so far and opinions seem to differ.

I want to install 16 GB of RAM (2x8).

Apart from the G. Skill Flare X 3200 Mhz and the Trident TZRX 3200 Mhz, which are a bit pricey,

what other choices do I have ?

Since I'm not going to be overclocking,

do I need to go that high in frequency 3200-3400 Mhz  ? or can settle for lower without effecting performance ?

Please help out.

Any opinions on this matter will be helpful.

0 Likes
1 Solution

As long as it's on the QVL list it will run at the speed stated on the list, no matter if it's Hynix, Micron, or Samsung. If I had to pick, I'd get the G.Skill Flare DDR4 3200 for $200 at Newegg right now, https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530&cm_re=g.skill_flare-_-20-232-530-_-...  My second choice would be F4-3200C14D-16GTZR It's the cheapest option and you get low timing fast RAM.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
arcticwind
Forerunner

Here is the link to the motherboards QVL list for memory for the 2nd gen Ryzen processors.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X470-PRO/PRIME-X470-PRO-memory-QVL-for-Ryzen2n...

As long as you stick to something from this list you should be fine.  Sorry, but I don't have any recommendations to offer you.  Hopefully someone else in the forums will have more experience with this than I.

0 Likes

Thanks for the List and the fast reply.

I've read several times in many articles,

that the 2nd Gen ZEN processors work better and are more compatible with RAM that has the Samsung B-die technology.

Looking at the list you sent me,

do you know how I can tell which RAM has the B-die technology ?

does is mention it in the column "Chip Brand"  just with the name "Samsung" or do I have to Google it for more INFO ?

Thank you for your time and assistance in advance.

0 Likes

Pick a RAM Memory from Asus Motherboard's QVL List for compatible RAM MEMORY For the Ryzen 2xxx series CPUs : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X470-PRO/PRIME-X470-PRO-memory-QVL-for-Ryzen2n...

0 Likes

Thank you for ASUS's List elstaci​,

I will choose from there.

Do you know which RAM on this list has the Samsung B-die Chip technology ?

Is it under the Chip Brand Column just with the name "Samsung" ?

I've read many times that the 2nd Gen processors work better with the B-Die Chip.

I appreciate your fast reply, thank you again.

0 Likes

found this program that lets you know what RAM Modules uses Samsung B-Die Chips: B-Die Finder .

Don't know how up to date it is but maybe you can find the RAM listed in the B-Die Finder from Asus QVL list.

Good luck.

0 Likes

Pick the fastest RAM you can afford from the list Elstaci linked to. Due to the way Ryzen chips operate, a 400mhz speed difference in RAM can result in 5% performance difference.

0 Likes

Hello ,

I see your point, higher frequency-speed equals to better performance.

Even if I'm not going to be overclocking (I hope I understood this correctly).

I'll get the best possible, I think 3200 Mhz will be sufficient enough for my needs,

I guess you can't go cheap with RAM.

from the list that is linked above, do you know which RAM has the Samsung B-die chip ?

(is it under the Column Chip Brand just with the name "Samsung")

Thank you for your fast reply.

0 Likes

As long as it's on the QVL list it will run at the speed stated on the list, no matter if it's Hynix, Micron, or Samsung. If I had to pick, I'd get the G.Skill Flare DDR4 3200 for $200 at Newegg right now, https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530&cm_re=g.skill_flare-_-20-232-530-_-...  My second choice would be F4-3200C14D-16GTZR It's the cheapest option and you get low timing fast RAM.

Thank you

0 Likes

Same as djblackcat, I have the ASUS Prime x470-Pro and the AMD Ryzen 7 2700x.

I bought RAM last week and apparently an incompatible one as it gives me bluescreens when I let it run at the speed that it says on the package. After hours of research I somehow thought that getting fast B-Die RAM would be sufficient but I must have been wrong. I bought "G.SKill Ripjaws V 64GB DDR4-3200 CL14". I tried 3200Mhz, bluescreens. It runs fine at 2666Mhz but that's not what I paid for so I am planning to send it back after I find compatible RAM.

AMD's QVL does not mention any 64GB kits which is what I want to get. I went to the G.Skill website and found the 64GB versions of the kits on the AMD QVL. But on G.Skill's QVL of that kit the X470-Pro is not mentioned as compatible. I am confused and don't know where to look anymore.

Is it possible for me to find a kit like this?

64GB (16x4)

3200+Mhz

B-Die

Company: any

Compatible with my system (so that the RAM runs at the speed I bought it for)

Thanks a lot in advance!

0 Likes
jannoke
Adept I

I did not check the compatability and got myself  F4-3600C19D-16GSXWB for my Asus Prime X470-Pro. They will boot upto 3200mhz just fine. After that they seem to boot, but windows would crash on boot.

I managed to get them to work 3533Mhz@CL20  /w 1.38v. Been using them for weeks now without problems.

el_arantis
Adept III

G.Skill FlareX F4-3200C14D-16GFX for the win!!

3200MHz CL14 XMP and you forget anything else

could you post cinebencg r15 scires in that setup?

0 Likes