cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

broky1311
Adept I

Blue screen occurs when playing Assassins Creed Odyssey, what to do?

Hi, I've experienced several freezes while playing the game. One moment I'm playing the game and the next the game freezes and my PC begins to restart. I can't play the game for more than 20 min. I went to the Task Manager and saw that my GPU usage is 97-98%. My PC specs are as follows: AMD FX-8320 Eight Core Processor 3.5 GHz, XFX RX 580 8GB graphics card, Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 motherboard and 8GB RAM and I run on Windows 10. I've updated my graphics drivers and I am clueless what to do. I have contacted Ubisoft provided them with msinfo and dxdiag. I have the latest stable motherboard drivers, latest graphics drivers, latest stable Windows 10 version, I've updated audio drivers and have performed the clean boot and the game still crashes. I've been asked by Ubisoft to contact you to see if you could somehow help me, although I don't why you would have to solve something that they screwed with their game. Nevertheless pleas help!

0 Likes
11 Replies

Download 'Blue Screen View' to determine the exact cause > Download BlueScreenView - MajorGeeks

Do you have your Power Limit in Wattman set to +50? Please read AMD graphics performance

Unfortunately none of the above helped me, but thanks for the help nevertheless. I could upload the Blue Screen data if you want.

0 Likes

Do you have any third party graphics controllers on your computer? Afterburner, Trixx, Asus, etc?

0 Likes

Nope

0 Likes

what are the BSOD errors that show when it crashes? or other Errors?

When a computer restarts on it own it generally indicates Overheating hardware (CPU. GPU. or PSU), Power issues, or confict or incompatible software or drivers.

Since the GPU is under heavy loading, it is possible it is Overheating and shutting down the computer before getting damaged. Need to check to make sure you have the GPU fan in aggressive profile to keep cool under load either through BIOS or through Wattman or Overdrive in Radeon Settings.

kingfish​ can instruct you on how to configure Wattman to keep your GPU cool and also link you to a Monitoring Software similar to HWMonitor to see if it is indeed your GPU overheating while playing games. The software shows Temperatures, Voltages, and other Data including Minimum and Maximum temps before it was stopped either by a crash or by you.

0 Likes

This is my amateurish guess, it must be either something with the drivers or the game itself cause with all other games everything is fine. Although I did notice that when I play AC Odyssey my GPU usage is 99-100%, I don't know if that's good or not (as I said I'm an amateur). I tried increasing the power limit but when I applied my screen went black, I also tried increasing fan speed and it also crashed. I will try to follow you instructions stated above. So any more ideas?

0 Likes

Open Wattman, change two settings only. Leave everything else alone/default= automatic.

Set 'temperature' to "Manual".. lower MAX to 80c...lower "Target" to 45c.  Click apply.

The fans will become involved when the temp hits 45c and will gradually increase as needed to keep under the 80c Max.

At the same time, you should increase the Power Limit to +50 (or the highest + value). Read AMD graphics performance

OR

With all the changes you have tried, I would make sure to do a clean install of the chosen driver to ensure all the incorrect changes are deleted.

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

Your issues may be this new game itself. You might find this information useful:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey PC AVX crash fix coming | Rock Paper Shotgun

0 Likes

I'm afraid my issue isn't covered with planned fixes, but we will see.

0 Likes

I myself have such horrible luck with Ubisoft games on PC. I no longer even buy their games for PC unless they have been out a long time and have many reports of them being okay. A good place to look if ever in question is the steam discussion pages for games as to if they have run issues and an work around's. Good luck, I get your frustration.