Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

gentlemanjah
Journeyman III

Radeon hd 8970m overheating

Pls i really need your help..

My laptop is a clevo p157sm (xmg p503), with dual graphic.. integrated intel(r) hd graphics 4600, and radeon hd 8970m

I have a problem with my gpu fan (radeon hd 8970m) , which is not operating at his max power. I think the new driver crimson\adrenalin set a max limit for the fan. I think it's blocked araound 40% by default .. And i can't control the fans on my laptop (with afterburner, speedfan ecc).

So, the gpu temperature reaches 95\100° of temperatures..

I've already format windows, ugpraded and downgraded driver, removed dust from fan

What i can do for increase fan speed? Or what i can do in general?

Pls help! :(

0 Likes
8 Replies

I would remove any third party graphics controls AB, etc....they conflict with AMD settings and controls...

0 Likes

done but nothing changed

0 Likes

After deleting the AB and etc from your computer...reinstall the latest driver > Mobile < Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers  after you have visited Intel support...links here > Laptop graphics update...How to < and installed the latest Intel graphics driver. (This will be the last update for it).

0 Likes

Done.. Same problem.. 90\97° for gpu

0 Likes

Are you using Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 or Windows 7?

Found this website that has drivers for your laptop. Is your Laptop a PROSTAR Lenovo Laptop? If it is, here is the driver download page for your GPU card. It is very old, but I would suggest you install it and see if the fan issue continues. Driver Downloads . It only shows drivers for Windows 7 & 8.0/8.1. It has your Lenovo Model Number.

Found this website with the exact same problem as you are having with the Lenovo P157SM Laptop: Clevo p157sm Bios Prema | NotebookReview​.

HaHa, just noticed it was from you making that Post. LoL.

This website may be of help for your laptop. [BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock - Page 44 - Clevo - Tech|Inferno Forums​.

Also check your Laptop's BIOS and see if there are any settings that controls the fans on the laptop. Like "Energy Saving' mode or something like that. Also some people have made comments in other Forums that the GPU Fan may be dirty or obstructed somehow, preventing it from running maximum.

0 Likes

Ty for the help, but my laptop is a xmg p503 and i've already downloaded the driver for windows 10 on the xmg website
I've also check in to the bios if there are some settings that control the fans, but nothing

0 Likes
arcticwfox
Journeyman III

I have the same problem with my Alienware M17xR4 running the same graphics card. I've tried every thing I could short of reducing my room temp to that of a freezer. It seems to be a flaw in the software that is supposed to control the fan or something. I start any game at even minimal graphics and the card in just under 30 seconds goes from 45c to 102c then I guess it goes into a low power state to protect it self and won't clock over 300mhz. Even when I put Afterburner on and reduced the clock speed to 475mhz it was the same result it is like as if the fan isn't even on but I've check and it is spinning. I'm still trying to come up with a solution but I really think its something to do with AMD wish they'd just give us control over the Radeon settings.

0 Likes

So I figured it out for my Alienware M17xR4 there is something wrong with the fan controller for the GPU. It wouldn't spin up over 600 rpms for some reason, so I downloaded HWiNFO64 https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php and was able to override the fan controller and set my own speeds. Which solved the issue of overheating. I'm not sure if this software will work on your system or not, but it may be worth a try.

0 Likes