cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

tempash
Adept I

unable to install adrenaline drivers

I was running Adrenalin Edition 18.9.2 Optional previously fine. Then during what I think was a Windows update (wasn't at my computer to see) the update caused some issues and I got the black screen. Tried few things but couldn't get back up and running so went through a clean Windows 10 Home install and followed guidance found on these support forums ie:

- clean windows install (made sure I was fully updated)

- used AMD uninstaller + DDU (both in safe mode) to make sure no AMD drivers/software remained; also deleted C: AMD folder

- ensured in Bios the my AMD card / PCIe was Primary

- tried installing Adrenaline 18.9.3 (with internet, firewall, AV all disconnected) and the software hangs, freezes the computer (also tried with 18.9.2 which used to work for me; 18.51; and an older 17.12.2 version - none of which could install)

- repeated the cleaning in safe mode w/ both AMD uninstaller + DDU; deleted C:\AMD folder

- tried installing Adrenaline software in safe mode; also tried disabling Device Driver Signing in normal mode and safe mode and still the installation hangs

- repeated the cleaning in safe mode w/ both AMD uninstaller + DDU; deleted C:\AMD folder

- tried manually installing just the driver using Device Manager and pointing to the driver under C:\AMD\Package\Drivers\Display.. not sure it installed the driver but when I try to install the full software it hangs again

Oct 11th tried the following:

- tried installing the newest Adrenalin Edition 18.10.1 Optional after clean uninstall, no internet and virus & firewall exited - still same thing.. starts to install and then hangs the computer

- also updated the iGPU Intel HD 4000 just in case to 10.18.10.5059 and after that the AMD drivers - hangs

- disabled Secure Boot in the bios and tried installing with Driver Signature Enforcement disabled - hangs

Right now I've pulled my AMD card and running just on the iGPU Intel HD 4000. I'm also worried that if I get a different newer card I may run into similar issue. So hoping I can get some advice as to other things I can try.

Here are my specs:

MSI R7870 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, 10.0.17134 Build 17134 (was on Windows 10 Home but upgraded)

Driver version installed: can’t install

BenQ GW2760S, HDMI to DVI (from monitor to video card), 1920x1080 @60Hz

Asus P8Z77-V LK, Bios Version 1402 (updated today from 0812 and same issue)

Intel Core i5-3570K CPU 3.40Ghz

OCZ StealthXStream2, OCZ700SXS2, 700W

RAM: 16GB

14 Replies
finndo
Journeyman III

I've been successful getting 18.9.1 to reinstall, but if I try to upgrade past that it gives the black screen hang as soon as it goes to "Installing Display Driver".  I always do clean install.  This has been happening since the first optional release version AFTER 18.9.2, but for the life of me 18.9.2 will not reinstall.  lucky for me I manually downloaded the 18.9.1 driver due to a new OS install and have that package handy after the AMD uninstaller and DDU process...

note that the Windows system restore process does work to force rollback to 18.9.1

0 Likes

Thnx for the suggestion. I tried 18.9.1 just now following the appropriate steps (DDU cleaning in safe mode, ensuring Windows up-to-date, no internet connection etc) but it doesn't work for me - get black screen/computer hangs mid-way of driver installation.

I opened a tix too and followed the tech support suggestions: using DDU; restarting and checking Windows up-to-date; restarting in normal mode w/ internet connection and AV, Firewall etc off; and tried installing 18.10.1 drivers off the link for my specific card (so I'm definitely using the right drivers) and still black screen/computer hangs. Let them know my results.

0 Likes

Might try a system scan for corrupted files:

Open a command prompt as Administrator and enter  sfc /scannow  and see if it finds and corrects any errors.

0 Likes

I ran sfc /scannow and it said "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag."

I went to that path C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log and I'm not sure what I should be looking for if anything in the .log (I did do a find in  the .log for "amd" and came across some strings but again don't know what I need to look for).

So now should I try 18.10.1 install again you think?

0 Likes

The main thing is it said it found and fixed some errors. Try a clean install of the latest driver..while disconnected from the internet.

0 Likes

Ran DDU in safe mode; tried 18.10.1 install with AV, firewall etc off and no internet.

I was crossing my fingers but it didn't work.

0 Likes

Is windows activated, are you running/installing as admin.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Windows is activated. I had Windows Home first when the problem occurred (my Windows Home was activated and working on 18.9.2 before the latest update); then since I was starting with a fresh windows to try and solve the issue I decided to get Windows Pro which is also activated.

I do log in as Admin. I'm pretty sure one of my attempts under Windows Home I rt-clicked and ran the installer as Admin; I did it as well now under my current Windows Pro and also ran DDU by rt-clicking running as admin too. Still hangs.

0 Likes

It sounds like even though you are disconnected from the INTERNET that Windows  update still might be messing with you updating the driver. Now that you are on Windows 10 Pro disable Windows 10 from installing driver updates, stop windows update (wuauserv) temporarily with task manager/services and delete all contents of the windows/softwaredistribution folder. You may still have the driver Windows keeps trying to install already downloaded an in that folder. So you wouldn't need to be connected for the Windows to keep installing it.

Honestly if that doesn't work I would clean install Windows 10 Pro again.

0 Likes

Disabled driver updates (following this https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10); deleted windows/software distribution folder and stopped wuauserv (following this https://www.thewindowsclub.com/software-distribution-folder-in-windows); and tried clean install of 18.10.1.. still hangs.

Then I removed my GPU completely and did a complete fresh Win 10 Pro install (formatted drive); did only Windows updates (no GPU installed so figured won't download any AMD stuff); disconnected from internet; installed GPU and tried 18.10.1 and again still hangs.

Then tried 18.51, 18.3.4 and 18.2.1 running DDU before each one and without internet hooked up.. still hangs.. I've given up. Thnx for everyone's suggestions.

Will see if any Black Friday deals on another card.

0 Likes

Any chance you have another PC to try that card in?

0 Likes

Not right now. Will see if I can test in another pc and post results.

0 Likes

I did try that I think at least once and it didn't work for me.. before posting this I tried various solutions I saw on other threads.Next time I attempt the uninstall/install of the AMD drivers I'll give it another shot.