Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Anonymous
Not applicable

Feature Request - DX Triple Buffering in Adrenalin Drivers

Hello.

AMD are you ever going to implement DX Triple Buffering on the Adrenalin driver? Instead of just Opengl triple buffering which is useless as most games are DX.

I still don't understand after all these years Radeonpro still has more features than your newest drivers.

Right now you need to do something because NV are light years ahead of you. What a god damn shame.

This is one feature that even NV haven't implemented right. I see many threads on the NV forums requesting a DX triple buffering option, all the replies link the Radeonpro mod.

0 Likes
17 Replies

Maybe you should change you avatar name to BOND007

You should already be aware that this isn't the place to put suggestions for certain features since this is a User to User Forum run by AMD Employees.

It is best to contact AMD Support directly or whatever means AMD has to take suggestions from Users to look at and possibly implement in their software of drivers.

But this is a good place to see if your suggestion is popular with other Users before contacting AMD Support.

fsadough​  may be able to relay your request or answer why it is how it is.

0 Likes

I don't deal with gaming boards. File a AMD Support Ticket

0 Likes

Sorry thought that was a pro card question.

On Monday, October 22, 2018, 3:50:46 AM CDT, fsadough <amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

|

Community

Re: Feature Request - DX Triple Buffering in Adrenalin Drivers

in Drivers & Software

I don't deal with gaming boards. File a AMD Support Ticket

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:

- Go to the message on Community (you’ll need to log in).

- Click on either the Helpful Answer button or the Correct Answer button.

- Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

This email was sent by Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anything constructive here?

No just a load of junk comments.

One guy says I should change my name?

One guy thinks this is about a GPU card,

One guy says you cant write suggestions/requests here, which you can.

Bloody hell.

I have already wrote to AMD directly, they don't even understand what I'm talking about. I wrote the request in plain English.

0 Likes

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You post memes? I thought better of you kingfish.

0 Likes

I was just joking about your name. Whenever I see 007 it just reminds me of James Bond the British spy.

But if you read my comment, AMD Forum is not the place to let AMD know about any features you want added. As mentioned, this is a good place to get an idea about how popular your idea will be with other Users. But that is pretty much the limit unless one of the AMD Moderators gets personally involved.

What exactly do you expect by posting your idea here in AMD Forums, if you don't mind me asking.

You have been active in these Forums for three years. As long as I have been. Have you ever heard of any Users ideas for features or improvement been incorporated in a driver or software by AMD by posting it here at AMD Forums? I haven't unless it involve some sort of Fix in AMD Drivers.

Recently, One inventor has an idea pending patent to cool several GPUs at the same time. He realized that posting it here is not going to get his idea any attention from anyone at AMD. He felt it was a good place to get other Users their opinion on his future invention. He knows he has to contact AMD directly and speak with someone in Corporate or Engineering to get any attention to his future invention.

Since only three or four Users answered and none related to your post directly, probably indicates the level of interest there is from other Users.

Well for your sake, maybe someone from AMD might happen to see this thread and act on it. You never know who is reading these threads.

FYI: JUST MY PERSONAL OBSERVANCES AND OPINION.

NOTE: I don't consider any of the comments posted here as "JUNK" since they all were trying to direct you to the correct avenue for your idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I understand, I already wrote to AMD directly before posting here, general consensus that's all, plenty of threads here requesting features on a public forum, there's no problem with this approach also. No need to deny any sort of request on an AMD forum, other users may not know how to contact AMD directly so there's many reasons, its merely a suggestion.

I had a response from AMD directly and they didn't understand the query. I wrote to them a much more detailed analysis of the benefits of triple buffering and they have replied with saying they would pass the info onto the devs.

Why not just talk about the thread in question here and not on 'why' have I even posted here? Its illogical.

0 Likes

Here is a very clear explanation from the gamedev forums from 2013 as to why it's a bad idea:

And from the gamedev forums again:

And here's a great explanation from nVidia as to why, AGAIN, it's a bad idea

And, to top it all off, in 2018 with games using 4-8GB of VRAM with standard API programmed double buffers, having a third buffer slashes the available memory per buffer resulting in a decrease in FPS as there is reduced space to store the frames.

So there are -very- good reasons it doesn't exist, and shouldn't exist, else Microsoft would have made it a prime feature of DirectX 12.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, thanks for the reply.

Yes indeed I have read the Anandtech article before and people can agree to disagree there, its all about the display, we still see today most 4K TV's are still 60hz, this is mostly for TV displays and not monitors as such.

Its the 30FPS drop if the game falls below 60FPS, that's the problem here, with DX triple buffering the FPS may fall to 57FPS, it helps with high resolution, modified game titles.

Also there are a few AMD sponsored titles like Tomb Raider 2013 and Deus Ex which have the triple buffering options in game so again people can agree to disagree here.

D3Doverider solved this but its only 32bit, I guess all the people who use that program are wrong also?

If it was such a bad idea like all your links, then why did AMD implement those settings into the options in the first place?

0 Likes

Well at least you finally got one User to give you a Non-junk explanation about your question. Maybe now others will join in and give their opinions. 

Maybe amdmatt​ will lock the thread before it turns into a "YOU'RE WRONG! TRIPLE BUFFERING IS ALWAYS BETTER YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT STUPID MOFO! SOMEONE GIVE ME A REAL ANSWER" thread.

LoL, good one!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Better shout to the moderators to close the thread before the boogieman shows up and speaks the real truth. Hurry, the boogiemans here!

Have a word with yourself.

0 Likes

I'd like to be able to force triple buffering too, input lag is just not a thing I seem to have any trouble with (especially with games that can be played with a controller) but framerates suddenly being cut in half or having to tolerate tearing is a problem.

While on the subject of vsync being able to force properly paced 30fps (ie draw one, repeat one) would be nice for some games too as just capping the framerate at 30 leads to almost vomit inducing judder sometimes

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, thankyou for the reply.

There you have it kids, a real comment from a real AMD user. An actual logical comment.

Exactly to the point, thankyou.

The AMD driver allows OpenGL triple buffering, it should be up to the user if they would like to apply a DX triple buffering on the same UI panel.

Regardless of all the negative links here, there are many benefits of this option, they outweigh the negative.

0 Likes