cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

potanin2000
Journeyman III

Why my graphics card is only using 1024 mb of memory instead of 5096 mb that is available?

My graphics card is AMD Radeon HD 7700 series and it says that I have 5096 mb available and overal system memory is 4072mb but used memory is only 1024 and this is not enough for me to play Black Ops 4 as it needs 1268 mb. I tried overclocking my gpu with Afterburner, I went into bios and changed my graphics to dual graphics to make it 2 GB, I went into regedit and into Intel folder and changed it to 2058 mb and reloaded my pc, I updated drivers and still my used memory is 1024 mb. What do i need to do?

0 Likes
1 Solution

You can not add more Dedicated VRAM to a GPU card to whatever is installed on the card. If your GPU Card has 1024 mb  of VRAM that is all that you will be able to use on the card. Your Motherboard BIOS allows you to reserve or allot a certain amount of System Memory to be used by the GPU in conjunction with the GPU VRAM installed.

The only way to add more VRAM to your GPU Card is by purchasing a GPU card with higher VRAM installed.

This explains what I just mentioned above from this website about VRAM: How to Increase Dedicated Video RAM in Windows 10

Copied from above link:

The Right Amount of Video RAM: Basic Guidelines

Hopefully, it’s clear that there’s no perfect amount of VRAM for everyone. However, we can provide some basic guidelines about how much VRAM you should aim for in a graphics card.

• 1-2GB of VRAM: These cards are usually under $100. They offer better performance than integrated graphics but can’t handle most modern games at above-average settings. Only purchase a card with this amount of VRAM if you want to play older games that won’t work with integrated graphics. Not recommended for video editing or 3D work.
  • 3-6GB of VRAM: These mid-range cards are good for moderate gaming or somewhat intensive video editing. You won’t be able to use that ultra-insane texture pack for Fallout 4, but you can expect to play modern games at 1080p with few issues. Get a 4GB card if you’re short on cash, but 6GB is a more future-proof option if you can spare it.
  • 8GB of VRAM and above: High-end cards with this much RAM are for serious gamers. If you want to play the latest games at 4K resolution, you need a card with plenty of VRAM.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

There is no 7700 series with 5Gb memory chips, maybe your mistaking it with the memory speed.

Download GPU-Z, use its 'Lookup' function to find the make/model/specs of your card.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Снимок.PNGThis is in MB. Available graphics memory 5096 mb. Used 1024 mb and total system memory is 4072 mb. I just need to change 1024mb to somewhere around 1400 or 1600 mb if possible.

0 Likes

I meant to say that it says on the image that i have 5096mb display memory available 1024mb of dedicated memory available and 4072mb of shared memory. I want to increase my dedicated memory as this is not enough to play games.

0 Likes

You can not add more Dedicated VRAM to a GPU card to whatever is installed on the card. If your GPU Card has 1024 mb  of VRAM that is all that you will be able to use on the card. Your Motherboard BIOS allows you to reserve or allot a certain amount of System Memory to be used by the GPU in conjunction with the GPU VRAM installed.

The only way to add more VRAM to your GPU Card is by purchasing a GPU card with higher VRAM installed.

This explains what I just mentioned above from this website about VRAM: How to Increase Dedicated Video RAM in Windows 10

Copied from above link:

The Right Amount of Video RAM: Basic Guidelines

Hopefully, it’s clear that there’s no perfect amount of VRAM for everyone. However, we can provide some basic guidelines about how much VRAM you should aim for in a graphics card.

• 1-2GB of VRAM: These cards are usually under $100. They offer better performance than integrated graphics but can’t handle most modern games at above-average settings. Only purchase a card with this amount of VRAM if you want to play older games that won’t work with integrated graphics. Not recommended for video editing or 3D work.
  • 3-6GB of VRAM: These mid-range cards are good for moderate gaming or somewhat intensive video editing. You won’t be able to use that ultra-insane texture pack for Fallout 4, but you can expect to play modern games at 1080p with few issues. Get a 4GB card if you’re short on cash, but 6GB is a more future-proof option if you can spare it.
  • 8GB of VRAM and above: High-end cards with this much RAM are for serious gamers. If you want to play the latest games at 4K resolution, you need a card with plenty of VRAM.