cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

abukhalil
Newcomer

Latest driver for Ati hd 6400m that ACTUALLY WORKS

Before you read, please don't answer the question with "install latest driver, try uninstalling and reinstalling driver, install intel drivers, switchable gpu, etc...." Or with any answer that revolves around the newest catalyst driver 15.7.1 because it has been proven already that it doesn't work. Please, answer the question the way i want. Thanks.

So a lot of people have been facing the problem of installing the catalyst 15.7.1 driver for the ati hd 6400m series cards, where their computer then detects the card as hd 7400m instead and causing it not to work. Im aware that 7400m is a rebrand of 6400m, but it doesn't matter, the card doesn't work so who cares ?

I searched the internet for multiple solutions and it came down to this: search different websites for older drivers since there is no archive for them on amd website. So i started out with version 8.8 , which is what the laptop came with (my laptop is hp pavilion g6 1040se with windows 7 x64) then i found version 9 (be aware im just searching through random websites), then i found 10, then 11, then 12, and finally i stopped at 13.1 (or 13.11 i can't remember correctly). I couldn't go any further as i couldn't find anything newer.

So my question is: is there a reliable website or archive for older drivers so that i can try out different drivers and see which one works the best for me ? I have had this problem for ages and i want to fix it once and for all.

Thanks

0 Likes
7 Replies

First of all, there is no such thing as a HD6400M graphics card. Or HD7400M graphics card. These are generic names for a SERIES of cards. When looking for drivers, you need to know which card/chip you have. Example:

AMD Drivers and Support for Radeon, Radeon Pro, FirePro, APU, CPU, Ryzen, desktops, laptops

You can determine which card you have following the reply in this post:

Looking for the latest amd driver for the Radeon HD 7700 ? 

When you select the correct graphics, you will find the latest driver is 16.2.1. There will be no more drivers for these older graphics chips.

In addition: Laptop graphics update...How to

The Intel graphics must be the latest version from Intel support, using the link furnished in the guide. It must be install BEFORE trying to install the AMD drivers.

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

0 Likes

I'll try it again and do everything you said, even though i sort of tried that multiple times with no luck.

The link you wrote which redirects to the support website to download drivers, it looks different, i don't remember seeing this page before. Did it get updated ?

My laptop right now is using catalyst 13.1 and it reads my card as "ati radeon hd 6400m series", i know my exact model and it's 6470m but it reads it as 6400m for some reason (also aren't all the gpus in the same series use the same driver ?)

I don't see how windows updates or intel drivers affect my gpu. So you are telling me that if I'm not using the latest intel drivers and don't have the latest windows updates, I'll face the problem i mentioned in my question ? What other "problems" I can expect from not having the latest drivers for intel and windows ?

Also should i use ddu or windows settings to uninstall the drivers before i install the new ones ? Where should i look in my laptop for files that can conflict with the installation other than C:/AMD ? Is there anything else I should look out for ?

I really appreciate your support. Thanks  

0 Likes

this is what i get in crimson settings when i update to 16.7.2

Capture.PNG

i can't use my gpu and the laptop is using the intel gpu (after updating it to the latest driver), i can't switch to it and, again, it's detected as hd 7400m instead of 6470m. see what i mean ?

i hope this helps

0 Likes

Is English your language? You don't seem to understand what I said. The 16.2.1 is the last driver offered for your laptop switchable graphics. And you installed the 16.7.2????

Yes..if you don't have your Win7 fully updated and the latest Intel driver installed...expect the issues you are having.

Are you afraid to update your computer? Legal copy? Or are you just too busy to do it.

Follow the steps above...not part of them..and you should have no issues.

These are the drivers available for your laptop;

AMD Radeon™ HD 6470M Drivers & Support | AMD

Configuring Laptop Switchable Graphics on a Windows® Based System | AMD

0 Likes

excuse me, sorry for my typo, i meant 16.2.1.

so i did everything you said and i got this in crimson settings. so....... what to do ?

0 Likes

Update your computer.

0 Likes