Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

flacofallas
Adept II

A lot of instalation events of high definition audio bus

Hi.

I recently install the latest drivers for my RX480 18.10.1. Since then, High definition audio bus installations appear very frequently. Audio seems to be fine, no problems in game. Only the constants installations. Someone with the same problem?

• AMD Graphics Card
    • RX480 XFX 8GB
  • Desktop
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel i5 7400

pastedImage_3.png

0 Likes
1 Solution
alphatau
Adept I

I can confirm that the new driver 19.1.2 works. I do an upgrade from version 18.8.1 to 19.1.2. The old driver was uninstalled in safe mode using DDU. No more annoying new installation-events of the HDMI Audio Bus. Great!

View solution in original post

100 Replies

Is the image you are showing are they "ERRORS" in Event Viewer?

0 Likes

Its the reliability history on Control Panel. Every 30 minutes aprox. "High Definition Audio Bus" installs again.

0 Likes

go to Windows Event Viewer and see what "Errors" are showing.

Also is it possible for you to post a DXDIAG.txt here on this thread? When you attach it, it automatically reverts to a .ZIP File. Sometimes that helps in showing what Windows or 3rd party files are having problems under "Diagnostics" at the very end of the text file.

In Sound Panel in Control Panel, what does it show as your default Audio device?

In Device Manager are there any error messages or Yellow Exclamation points under Sound or Audio settings?

0 Likes
flacofallas
Adept II

elstaci

Thanks for your help.

Event Viewer shows this events over and over again:

"Driver manager completed the driver installation process amdkmafd.inf_amd64_5d3b8c7dafe2605e for the identifier of the PCI device instance \ VEN_1002 & DEV_AAF0 & SUBSYS_AA001682 & REV_002 \ 4 & 22817009 & 0 & 0108 with the following status 0x0"

ID: 20001

Origin: UserPnp.

I post the DXDIAG.

My default Audio device is Realtek HD Audio.

In Device Manager, there is no error messages or yellow exclamation.

eventviewer.PNG

0 Likes

First run SFC /scannow in a "ADMIN RIGHTS" command prompt.  See if it comes back with "No Integrity found" something like that. If it comes back with errors and says it couldn't fix them let me know. If it says the errors were fixed. Run again SFC /scannow and be sure it comes back with "No integrity found" message.

Also go to Windows Settings - Update & Security - Troubleshoot  and run "Playing Audio" and see what result come back if any.

After you run SFC /scannow and it comes back with no errors, Uninstall the AMD Driver for your RX-480 card using this method to prevent any conflicts. Disconnect your computer from the internet when you install the AMD Driver again.

install AMD driver:

1) Download the correct AMD Full Set of drivers from AMD Support. Make sure your Windows is fully updated via Windows Update. Windows Must be fully updated because the latest AMD Drivers requires all the latest "Optional" and "Recommended" updates to be installed.

2) Use Windows Uninstall to uninstall current AMD driver and software and disconnect the internet from your computer. Then use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from Wagnardsoft  Forum in Safe Mode. This will eliminate all traces of the AMD driver and software from your computer.

Delete C: \ AMD folder from the Root Directory. Reboot

3) Go to Device Manager and click "Display Adapter" and make sure you are on the MS Basic Display Adapter. If not, uninstall the AMD driver using Properties.

4) Try reinstalling the AMD FULL SET OF DRIVERS that you have downloaded manually. Make sure you disable the Internet to prevent Windows from installing a newer version. So configure windows to prevent it from updating drivers via windows update. So it has been mentioned to disable any anti-virus programs before installing AMD Drivers.

5) If the new AMD drivers installs and works correctly, delete again the C: \ AMD folder from the root directory. To save space on the HDD.

6) Enable both the Internet and Anti-Virus program (if applicable).

7) Go back to Device Manager and check your GPU card driver is working and identified correctly.

After installing the AMD Driver again see if you keep getting the same error.

If you still have the same problem try installing the 18,5,1 driver and see if it continues using the above method: Radeon™ RX 480 Drivers & Support | AMD

Found out what AMDKMAFD.inf is: What is amdkmafd.sys?

This is an image of the specs on that driver from AMD from above link:

dsarlette
Journeyman III

Same "issue" on my system after the upgrade to Windows 10 1809. The events occur whenever you either start the system or after each wake up from sleep.

If you stop and disable in services the service "AMD external events utility" the message will disappear.

Re-installation of drivers did not change anything and all sfc or dism checks/repairs showed nothing

Yes, looks like it happens every time the pc starts. Even if that audio devices are disabled.

0 Likes

It's been confirmed by u/AMD_Aric on Reddit (AMD RTG Engineer), that disabling this service disables FreeSync in some games. If you don't use FreeSync then this could be a temporary workaround.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8bvcfo/do_not_disable_amd_external_events_utility/

0 Likes
zumtex
Adept I

Same problem

• AMD Graphics Card
    • RX480 XFX 8GB
  • Desktop
  • Windows 10 Home
  • Intel i5 4590

Thank you for posting this. I have an RX 580 and I've been troubleshooting this for weeks, I haven't seen anyone report it besides you.

One of the "Fixed issues" in the 18.10.1 release notes was:

HDMI™ Audio Drivers may sometimes not upgrade during Radeon Software installation.

It started happening a few versions ago and is definitely still happening in 18.10.1. Do you know the side effects of disabling AMD external events utility? I heard it is necessary for FreeSync to run.

Capture.PNG

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Its funny because I noticed this because one of the installations didn't work.

I disabled the AMD HD Audio devices and the events only decreased.

disabledevices.PNG

My next step is make a downgrade to 18.5.1.

0 Likes
flacofallas
Adept II

Testing for a couple hours, looks like 18.5.1. works fine. Downgrading seems to be the working solution.

Thanks for this!  I just bought a RX 560 card to replace a Nvidia card and their horrid drivers.  Had this issue from the beginning with 18.12.2 and Windows 10 1809,  downgrading to 18.5.1 fixed it for me.

0 Likes

Yes, I forgot. I have Windows 10 April Update 1803

0 Likes

I was using the latest October update but I did a system image restore back

to the previous build. The Audio Bus issue occurs on both Windows builds.

Hopefully AMD can offer a real solution rather than rolling back.

This not the Windows new 1809b. (October update) causes. I try fresh 1803 build and the problem not gone ( 18.10.1 driver ). Only one "fix" have if u wanna use this driver. Simple disabling AMD High Definition Audio Device. or downgrading 18.5.1.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Its funny because I noticed this because one of the installations didn't work.

I disabled the AMD HD Audio devices and the events only decreased.

disabledevices.PNG

My next step is make a downgrade to 18.5.1.

In my case, disabling those devices didn't work.

0 Likes
ramchyld
Elite

Writing to say I have the same issue as well. Fresh install of win10 1809 (enough bad experience with in-place upgrades that I’d rather reformat). The moment 18.10.1 is installed, the system starts having this “installing HD Audio Bus” popup every time I restart or boot up for the day.

System: Desktop

GPU: Asus Strix Vega 64 8GB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

Driver: Radeon Adrenaline 18.10.1

I must add that downgrading to 18.5.1 is not an option for me because Subnautica wouldn’t run on that driver version with the Vega 64, quits immediately- my experience with 18.5.1 on win10 1803.

Disabling the HDA driver might be the solution for me tho, since I use DVI output (need to feed the Vega 64 to a older DVI KVM) and don’t need HDMI audio for now. But it does beg the question: why is HD audio on the card enabled when there is nothing connected to the DisplayPort or HDMI ports of the card?

0 Likes

Anyone with this issue should report it to AMD > Online Service Request | AMD

0 Likes

It's not harming anything, but as someone who likes to keep a clean system

(clean of inadvertent or false errors) it bothers me to see them fill up

Reliability Monitor.

Does anyone know how to submit this to AMD support, or how to get them to

see our thread now that multiple people have confirmed the issue?

0 Likes

If you disable AMD HD AUDIO you will disable sound to any audio devices (Speakers, Receiver, etc) connected to your AMD GPU card. Unless your audio device is using some other HD Audio like Realtek or Microsoft basic HD Audio connected to a Sound card or Motherboard or you use USB or Bluetooth Headphones.

The AMD HD Audio is not only for just HDMI. It is the driver that allows your GPU card to output Audio from it various ports. You can go to Sound Panel and you will see all AMD Audio devices disabled if you disable AMD HD Audio driver.

This AMD Forum is moderated by AMD Employees so they are well aware of this thread. But like kingfish​ mentioned in a previous post, the Users must notify AMD Support directly either by Email (get a response back) or Online which will make AMD Support aware of a problem.

On rare occasions, AMD Moderators will also submit a ticket to AMD Support but that is not their main responsibilities.

blazedator
Journeyman III

Same problem here, was even causing visual glitches at start of pc because i had disabled it on sound settings.

Screenshot (1).png

I received a response from AMD:

Thank you for the email.

I checked the thread and see that High Definition Audio Bus and High Definition Audio Controller are installed multiple times with latest drivers. I will forward this issue internally to relevant team for further investigation.

Meanwhile, could you please try performing clean installation of latest 18.10.2 drivers and check if that resolves the issue.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-18-10-2

Please use DDU tool to remove the existing drivers before installing 18.10.2 drivers. Thank you for contacting AMD.

I haven't tried 18.10.2 yet (I went back to 18.5.1). If anyone is willing to try it for science let me know.

0 Likes

Here’s the strange thing on my end. On a 990FX+FX8320E platform with a RX 470 GPU, installing Win10 1809 and then going to 18.10.2 directly does not produce the issue observed. However, on a X470+Ryzen 7 2700X platform with a Vega64 GPU, installing Win10 1809 and then installing 18.10.1, causes the error, which persists even if the drivers were removed using DDU, and then upgraded to 18.10.2.

Two possibilities:

• Installing 18.10.1 “dooms” the entire Windows install, so even when you remove it using DDU and install a new version of the Radeon drivers, the issue will persist.
  • The issue is localized to the Ryzen or Vega architecture for some reason, and doesn’t happen with older chipsets or Polaris GPUs.

I have no time to reinstall Windows again (I know I said before I should try, but then I realized that I don’t have the time to do so for another few weeks, especially since it takes forever to Install Steam games). So I cannot try reinstalling Windows 10 1809 and going straight to 18.10.2 on my Ryzen 7 rig atm.

0 Likes

Issue is still occurring on latest version (18.11.1) doing a clean install:

Capture.PNG

0 Likes

I think the only thing that can clear the issue is to reinstall Windows (as in, full reformat) and then install the 18.11.1 drivers directly. Seems that installing 18.10.1 dooms the Windows 10 install permanently.

0 Likes

I have a system image created on 18.5.1, where the issue is not occurring,

so I can go back and play with it. Going straight from 18.5.1 to the latest

(skipping 18.10.1) still causes the issue.

0 Likes

Very strange. I did a second setup with a full reformat and reinstall of Windows 10, using the 1809 image, and I went straight to 18.10.2. And it doesn't exhibit the error. Try wiping the system completely, install Windows, then installing 18.10.2 directly, bypassing the older drivers.

0 Likes

The issue has no impact as far as I can tell other than being annoying.

It's not worth it for me to do a fresh Windows install but thanks for

testing that out. Hopefully that narrows it down and can help them figure

out what's causing it. For now I'm just gonna stick with 18.5.1.

0 Likes
ramchyld
Elite

Can anyone try this idea out and see if it solves the problem?

1. Download the latest AMD GPU drivers. If you use an AMD CPU, also download latest chipset drivers since DDU actually gets rid of both. Download DDU if you don't already have it. Checking to see if a new version of DDU is available if you already have it is also not a bad idea.
  2. Disconnect LAN cable, turn off router, whatever- make sure the PC has no internet access.
  3. Boot into safe mode.
  4. Run DDU. Let DDU restart the system.
  5. Go into Device manager, and remove any device marked High-Definition Audio Bus and High-Definition Audio Controller. If there is a checkbox to uninstall the device, check it. However, do not restart the PC if it asks to.
  6. (Optional) Install chipset drivers if you're using an AMD platform PC. Do not restart.
  7. Install GPU drivers. Install ReLive if desired. Restart.
  8. Reconnect LAN cable.

See if the issue goes away once you complete installation.

0 Likes

I did what you recommend. It won't solve the issue.

This is definitely again a driver issue (as many times before). With Driver Version 18.5.2, I had no issues. Since I have installed version 18.9.x - but didn't tried intermediate versions - I noticed "high definition Audio bus" is beeing installed again and again and again every new start of Windows 10. It has nothing to do with Windows 10 update 1809. The update 1803 had the same issue with this faulty driver. My latest installed driver is 18.11.1

COULD THIS BE FIXED, AMD support?

- Windows 10 Prof x64

- RX480 4GB

Unbenannt.JPG

0 Likes

If you guys haven't already, submit the issue to AMD support and link this

thread. The more eyes we get on it the quicker the resolution.

I asked for an update on my ticket and was told it was closed after 10 days with no activity or update. I guess they didn't even attempt to replicate the errors which is a little disappointing. I know this maybe isn't a high priority issue but why should we go through the effort of submitting a request if it's just overlooked? I'm assuming this is happening to quite a large number of their customers who are unaware and don't regularly check Reliability Monitor.

Anyway, I'm going to resubmit my request under the tech's recommendation and answer his questions. I advise others to still submit as well:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Bryce, Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200842953]} has been reviewed and updated. Response and Service Request History: Thank you for the response. I am sorry but due to system automation, the ticket was closed after 10 days. We do not have any update as of now about the issue. I see that you are having the same issue with clean installation of 18.11.1 drivers as well. I request you to please provide the below information so that I can forward it internally again with additional information.

•  Make and model of the Motherboard?

ASRock x370 KIller Sli/ac

•  No of monitors being used and how they are connected?

2 monitor connected with Display Port cables

•  PSU Capacity

650 W

•  Screenshot of Device manager audio controllers.

Also, the Sound settings. Meanwhile, please stick with 18.5.1 drivers which are working without any issue. Thank you for contacting AMD. In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact. Best regards, Santosh

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Likes

Yes, I got a similar response.
I hope that in future updates they fix that

0 Likes
bloodykinggr
Adept II

Same problem here 1803 version of win10 18.11.1 driver!

anduu
Adept I

18.11.2 has the same issue.