cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

Antec HCG 1000 : Impressions

EDIT : Retitle to remove review. As stated I do not have the equipment to properly review a power supply. I meant to get around to changing the title but I forgot!

Power supplies are sometimes overlooked as the most crucial part of your system. Everyone is concerned about how much video card power or RGB unicorn puke they have. Sorry to say.. the power supply is by far the most important part of a PC. Make sure you plan your build with a great power supply before you start tossing video cards and RGB at it. The best practice is to try to hit around 80% of maximum wattage for the best efficiency and plan for the future as a PSU can last quite a long time.

So currently I'm using this power supply my open loop build "Project Shoehorn". Shoehorn has a 1700x and a 1080ti in it. It was built to be powerful and run as silent as possible. Unfortunately I had a power supply that was spinning up so loud that I could hear it through my headset and it seemed to be causing some issues with sound. Antec reached out and asked if I'd be interested in taking a look at the HCG 1000 as a replacement for my Silverstone ST1200-PT. Now before anyone thinks I'm hating on the ST1200 I'm not, it is a fantastic PSU I just ended up getting a wonky one. A SATA cable popped on the PSU side and I don't think they will accept and RMA.

So lets get into this HCG 1000!

20180825_094339.jpg

The HCG 1000 is a beefy power supply with a 10 year warranty, 80 Plus Gold efficiency, a plethora of rails and a sleek orange-gold chassis, The cabling is bundle sleeved and all wires are black from stem to stern. Cable extensions are a great addition to add a more clean look to your rig but the blackout style will do just fine otherwise. The EPS cable is long enough to reach quite far but for the biggest of cases I'd plan on cable extensions. Not a fault of the PSU but a suggestion should you have a full sized case you should know what to expect.

There's really not a ton I can say about a power supply. I don't have any test equipment to run ripple and load tests so you'll have to take my word for it's performance. It runs cool, quiet and have a boatload of overhead for future upgrades. It's also extremely attractive! So if you're looking for a solid power supply to last you the next decade, the HCG 1000 watt is a great choice!

20180825_103514.jpg20180904_202533.jpg20180904_202643.jpg

11 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Please stop ashaming yourself, your piece of content have the same value that GN, LTT, Jay, HU, ect reviews =  negative!
Please delete this thread, you clearly showed lacking the capability to advice a power supply, in your piece.
You can try again maybe after removing the pictures and learn how to use a multimeter!

Thanks you.

0 Likes

I'm not an influencer, I know how to use a multimeter and no, I won't delete this thread .

If your statement regarding Antec supplying this piece of kit to me as a sample.. to be blunt it's not your business what my relationship with Antec is. There was no agreement that I review the unit when it was sent to me. I happen to network a lot with manufacturers and some provide me with hardware, some don't. I don't ask for it. I wrote this short piece to show folks that this power supply is actually pretty dang awesome! If you take issue with this you may reach out to forum administrators and have them request I take down a post.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Once you removed the review in the thread title, you can post everything you want as your opinion!
If the word review is used, you failed reviewing the product, it's a very bad review, simple as that!
The rest is your own businesses that sincerely i don't care!

Last thing to clear your mind, i would never and will never ask to delete thread or so, dunno where this idea come to your mind.
Neither call the moderation about, not my job!
You posted something, someone answered, if you don't like the answer, post better content next time.
I will be more than happy to support upcoming nice and useful content!

0 Likes
red5
Miniboss

I've had several Antec power supplies through the years. Great units. I had the 380 watt 'Green' version and tortured that thing for several years and it never hiccuped.  Very powerful for its rating.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1085972132004991
Discord https://discord.gg/pttrmDpeVN
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I agree, Antec have made in the past and still make very good PSU.
But a piece like that do not help certainly advertising the brand, neither the product.
If a company lend you a product for test, the minimum is to give a decent overview if using the word review.
Otherwise it's an influencer piece not a review, changing completely it's meaning and weight!
To be clear, there is not a lot of reviewer left out there, all of them are influencers serving their own interest.

One can very simply leverage the PSU quality by:
1/Taking pictures of the components inside and not only of the outside, check and show the build materials, show clearly the power ratings!
2/Showing and naming the electronic components used to build the PSU, check if these are good quality.
3/At least get even a cheap multimeter and show clearly that there is not a lot of difference measuring the output voltages, when going from idle to full load.
4/Get a cheap power monitor outlet to check and leverage the total power consumption, hence the PSU efficiency based on a known load.
4'/If one have some spare money, get a cheap current clamp to monitor the output current, compare the inlet power consumption with the PSU output to check the efficiency.
4''/If one can't get a clamp meter, one can build a cheap shunt to measure and calculate the PSU output current.
5/Check the PSU thermal, did the PSU heat a lot under load, is the fan silent, until which load?
6/Checking if there is any troubles with the case mount and airflow.
7/Showing the cables, the length, the PSU modular plugs.
8/Showing the bundle, explaining warranty, returning policies!

All of these steps almost required no knowledge at all, only common sense.
But these are already very good start to show and prove that a PSU/Brand is worth buying.
Especially if already coming from a good high end manufacturer.
Once again, even being a trusted influencer, clearly does not make you a trusted good reviewer.

0 Likes

Well, in about 20 years as an enthusiast I've had several different Antec power supplies, and none ever failed me. I don't put much stock into reviews either. Most of the popular 'tech' people are nothing more than extensions of marketing departments. It's the community that has always been the barometer of a brand's reputation.  Since the post was already here, I just wanted to say that I've had great luck with Antec power supplies. There are other brands that have served me well, but he mentioned Antec so I was just confirming their reputation.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1085972132004991
Discord https://discord.gg/pttrmDpeVN
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Again, it's the difference between influencer and reviewer!
Even if i know Antec for 20 years and know it make good PSU, i will not say that the product is good if i haven't reviewed it decently.
An influencer on the other hand would trust the brand without testing because used to be good and give false opinions.

Quite easy at the end!

If once the company deceive me, i don't want to be ashamed giving false and bad reviews to consumers.
I would do my job and review the product for the sake of the company and the consumer.

Hence what you just describe is our actual situation, with no actual reviewers and a lot of influencers with very little knowledge.

Also Enermax and Seasonic are very good too, you can add Corsair to the mix as well, for manufacturing very good quality PSU.

There is not only Antec out there, especially because you need to reviews direct competitor product from the others brands to have something to compare with!
Hence not even fair to cite only Antec, since the other brand have also very good products!
It's not because i'm running for years an Enermax Galaxy 1000w, a 12 years PSU, that i jump on the train saying that every Enermax product worth is to buy!

0 Likes

not everyone is jonnyguru.  the fact that they aren't should not mean that they can't post their opinion of hardware.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Please read the thread closely, i have nothing about opinions.
If the word review is employed then, this piece of content is not in any shape or form a reviewing piece.
The title of the thread was edited by OP removing the word reviewing accordingly!

0 Likes

I think the reason that myself and others that see this are not impressed with your response :

Hello,

Please stop ashaming yourself, your piece of content have the same value that GN, LTT, Jay, HU, ect reviews =  negative!
Please delete this thread, you clearly showed lacking the capability to advice a power supply, in your piece.
You can try again maybe after removing the pictures and learn how to use a multimeter!

Thanks you.

Your response isn't criticism it's a hatchet job. I think you may need to brush up on forum etiquette.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

It simply mean, delete the thread yourself instead to be ashamed by such low quality content when reviewing a thing.
Furthermore i even spend time to lend you the information needed to actually write a good review.
Maybe thinking you will be pushed to do a better job, but i was wrong!
If you and other here like mediocre review, again it's not my problem, if you want positive input just spend time doing the good job.
There is no etiquette for BS fortunately!!!!