1 Solution

18.10.1 now at wddm 2.5.
bb

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

The Windows 10 October update has not yet been released, as a matter of fact, Microsoft has delayed the release.

For our corporation, 1809 started showing up in Windows updates across about half our companies computers last Tuesday, and 1809 was also loaded as the only ISO you can download on the Media Creation Tool site too. So it absolutely was released October 2nd.

From what I understood it was temporarily (currently suspended BTW as of 8/9/18) suspended a couple days later do to many people claiming that after the install it was deleting documents from their user account documents folder.

MS is advising not to install any previously downloaded 1809 installers from last Tuesday the 2nd. If you have already installed it you are fine and only need wait for any updates.

However this was released and hopefully AMD will have a current WDDM ready.

Yes, I am one of those who got 1809 installed (on its first day) and fortunately no issues so far.

WDDM 2.5      have better performance and image quality with the new amd driver will be released soon with my asus rx 580  ??

What are you expecting?

WDDM 2.5[edit]

Windows 10 October 2018 Update (Version 1809) Includes WDDM 2.5.

Updates to Display driver development in Windows 10, version 1809 include the following[4]:

• Raytracing - New Direct3D DDI's were created in parallel of Direct3D API's, in order to support hardware-accelerated raytracing. Example DDIs include: PFND3D12DDI_BUILD_RAYTRACING_ACCELERATION_STRUCTURE_0054, PFND3D12DDI_COPY_RAYTRACING_ACCELERATION_STRUCTURE_0054. For more info about raytracing, see Announcing Microsoft DirectX Raytracing.
  • Universal Driver Requirements - WDDM 2.5 drivers will need to ensure their DirectX11 UMD, DirectX12 UMD, KMDs, and any other DLL loaded by these components, adhere to the Universal API.
  • SRV-Only Tiled Resource Tier 3 - In Windows 10, version 1809, Tiled Resource Tier 3 capabilities can be supported less-orthogonally by GPUs. Direct3D12 now supports sparse volume textures without requiring unordered-access and render-target operations. SRV-Only Tiled Resource Tier 3 is a conceptual tier that fits between Tier 2 and Tier 3. Hardware support is optional, just like orthogonal Tiled Resource Tier 3 support currently is. But, supporting SRV-Only Tiled Resource Tier 3 is a super-set tier that requires support for Tiled Resource Tier 2. Drivers that already advertise support for orthogonal Tiled Resource Tier 3 merely have to update their drivers to support the latest “options caps” DDI structure version. The runtime will advertise SRV-Only Tiled Resource Tier 3 support to applications for any hardware that already supports orthogonal Tiled Resource Tier 3.
  • Render Pass - The Render Pass feature was added to:
    • Allow new APIs to be run on existing drivers.
    • Allow user mode drivers to choose optimal rendering path without heavy CPU penalty.
  • Meta-commands - A Meta-command is Direct3D12 object that represents an IHV-accelerated algorithm. It’s an opaque reference to a command generator implemented by the driver. Meta-command updates include Descriptor Table Binding and Texture binding. See D3D12DDI_META_COMMAND_PARAMETER_TYPE and D3D12DDIARG_META_COMMAND_PARAMETER_DESC.
    • Enable Compute Algorithms to use Texture Resources (swizzled memory)
    • Enable Graphics Pipeline Algorithms
  • HDR Brightness Compensation - A new SDR brightness boost was introduced to raise the reference white of SDR content to the user-desired value, allowing SDR content to be reproduced to a typical 200-240 nits, which is equivalent to what users have expected for SDR displays. SDR brightness boost affects overall Brightness3 behavior in two ways:
    1. This boost is applied pre-blend only on SDR content. HDR content is not affected. Meanwhile, for most laptop/brightness3 scenarios, users expect all content (SDR and HDR) to be adjusted.
    2. When the Brightness3 stack in the OS is determines the desired nits value, it is not aware of the already applied SDR boost. The driver must then apply a compensation to the desired nits value coming from Brightness3 DDIs for HDR. Since Graphics drivers (and downstream TCON etc.) will be modifying the pixel values of the content to get desired nits value, there should also be a compensation applied to the HDR content metadata as provided by the applications via D3DDDI_HDR_METADATA_HDR10 or OS defaults via DxgkDdiSetTargetAdjustedColorimetry. Since Graphics driver (TCONs) are responsible for modifying the pixel data, it is the driver’s responsibility to compensate the HDR content metadata.
  • HDR Pixel Format Support - This kernel mode device driver interface (DDI) change is part of WDDM 2.5 to expose new capabilities to be reported by driver/device, providing information regarding the HDR functionality supported by the driver/device. Currently, OS determines if the driver/device supports HDR based on the HighColorSpace bit of the DXGK_MONITORLINKINFO_CAPABILITIES structure as read from DdiUpdateMonitorLinkInfo. The HighColorSpace bit gives a combination of driver/link/monitor capability to run in HDR mode. The HDR capabilities reporting by the driver now includes a Driver/Device level capabilities, which will let OS know if the Driver/Device supports true HDR (i.e. FP16HDR), or only supports a limited form of HDR (i.e. ARGB10HDR), as defined below:
    • FP16HDR: Driver/device can take FP16 pixel format surfaces with scRGB/CCCS colorspace and apply PQ/2084 encoding and BT.2020 primaries during scanout pipeline to convert output signal to HDR10.
    • ARGB10HDR: Driver/device can take ARGB10 pixel format surfaces which are already PQ/2084 encoded and scan out HDR10 signal. Driver/device can’t handle FP16HDR as defined above or cannot handle the extended numeric range of scRGB FP16. Graphics drivers can only report support for either FP16HDR or ARGB10HDR as they are not really superset/subset configurations and OS will fail the Start Adapter if both are reported as supported at the same time. See DXGK_MONITORLINKINFO_CAPABILITIES and _DXGK_DISPLAY_DRIVERCAPS_EXTENSION.
  • SDR White Level - A kernel mode device driver interface change includes adding new parameters to existing DDIs to let the Graphics drivers know the “SDR white level” value that is being applied by the OS compositor for all the SDR content, for a display which is running in HDR mode. See _DXGK_COLORIMETRY.

18.10.1 now at wddm 2.5.
bb

0 Likes
mat777
Challenger

I downloaded the update in windows update on tuesday 2 october and now it works really well no problem right now I erased even the old version 1803 to recover 30 GB  I even noticed in some games improvements in performance....      I have the driver version install   18.9.3    Paramètres 2018-10-09 20_05_00.png

0 Likes

I bricked my Lenovo T500 with 1809, so I fixed it but t ended up installing a bigger disk as I use the machine for iTunes and more room is useful

a clean install of 1809 seems to be stable and it seems to be slightly faster

0 Likes