cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

squadalah
Newcomer

Wattman not working 18.9.3 drivers. Cannot overclock my GPU.

So my overclock is not applying in game. Here is what I've done.

R7 1800x

Rog b450-f

16gb tridentz 3000

Seasonic focus plus platinum 750w

Rog 570 4gb

Clean install.

No third party overclocking software

Latest 18.9.3 drivers

Temps at 78C out of 90C

I go into wattman and setup my overclock. Power limit is maxed out. I have tried this with both on and off.

Core clock is set to 1350

Memory clock is 2000

I can get the memory clock to stay at 2000 consistently.I have no third party applications installed. I cannot get it to maintain the max core clock speed. I turned up the limits for temperature and power. Voltage control is set to 1150

The core clock will stutter from the mid 1200s to under the core clock. It does this no matter the setting.

If I'm loading a benchmark, it'll run at max core clock, but when the game starts it drops to near stock overclock or under it. If I increase the core clock it makes no difference. The only software I've installed by ASUS is their sonicstudio 3, aura, for my motherboard and audio drivers which runs in the background. I'm under the interpretation it keeps reverting to the stock overclock even though it's overclocked in AMD and to my knowledge I have no third party devices influencing anything installed. Can anyone help?

0 Likes
12 Replies

My core clock speeds do not increase to the max on every application or game. My core clock is 1000...on high demand applications/games that's what it maxes out at. Other lesser games may run 950-975, etc.

Are you making these Wattman settings in the Global settings, or the game profile?

Increasing your temperature threshold isn't helping anything.

Do you have the ​Computer​ Power Plan set to "Performance" and not the default "Balanced"?

Can you post a screenshot of these wattman settings?

0 Likes

So I made a video showing settings and explaining exactly what happens. My room temperature is 72-76 Fahrenheit at almost all times. If I do have just the drivers installed and not wattman, I can overclock this card just fine. I think what's happening is it's a thermal throttle but I'm not hitting thermals. See video for details I explained it pretty well.

AMD 18.9.3 won't let me overclock on Vimeo 

0 Likes

Are you making these Wattman settings in the Global settings, or the game profile?

Increasing your temperature threshold isn't helping anything.

Do you have the Computer Power Plan set to "Performance" and not the default "Balanced"?

Can you post a screenshot of these wattman settings?

Before you try any overclocking, you need to have your card/computer running at its designed maximum. I suggest you remove everything you have done...and adjust your settings as I have shown...with no changes to clocks, etc. Everything except Power Limit/Target Temp/and Max temp left at default...automatic. Use the control panel to put everything back to "factory Default" first.

Then, if you must, do your overclocking so you can tell exactly where the issue is.

Old...but still true > AMD graphics performance

0 Likes

I make sure it's in the global settings. I've been testing it just out on Forza Horizon 4 right now in order to limit any applications running. I downloaded hwinfo (made sure it's not scanning what it shouldn't on my mobo) in order to monitor all temperatures.

I have had my power limit set to max and I made sure to disable any energy saving modes in the BIOS. Yeah I noticed increasing my temperatures doesn't help and I tried checking on afterburner (it's not installed, I just wanted to see what would happen if I didn't use wattman/uninstalled wattman and installed afterburner) and it doesn't allow it to go past 76-78C either.

I drilled 80MM of ventilation in the top of my case for better airflow in order to account for the VRMS and CPU temperatures although they weren't showing any issues to begin with. I don't have any Asus software installed except Aura, SonicSuite, and there's a "asus com service" that's been running since clean install, I'm pretty sure it's a Windows application though.

Here's a screenshot of my settings. overclock.png

I'm stumped honestly, both afterburner, asus, and wattman have confirmed I can go up to 90C. I'm not sure if there's something in my BIOS preventing me from hitting my overclock, but I'm fairly confident it's going between the stock overclock and my overclock like a confused child or something of the nature. I will try out the settings from your screenshot and see what I can make. I do want to try adjusting the overclock though in contrast to the screenshot shown is at stock settings. I did notice AMD has a graphics profile option that I have set to "optimized performance". You right click on the AMD tray icon and you'll see the graphics profile options.

0 Likes
squadalah
Newcomer

So I reset my AMD wattman to stock, applied your settings, and played the game. I didn't touch core/memory and it stayed at the stock overclock.

I adjusted it on both frequency and dynamic and it stayed on the stock overclock still. at 100% it maxes out at 1330mhz when it's set to 10% frequency or 1430. Temperatures at 67C in contrast to 78C from earlier and CPU temps are not going above 72C. Overall it's staying cold and my room is chilly so that helps a bit. I have high performance set to active, graphics profile is optimized performance (I did try it on all 3 settings to no avail), and the specifications are exactly as you have setup for me save going from stock to the overclock with no change. Lowest it'll go is 1250mhz but the highest it goes is 1330mhz. I know it's trying to apply the overclock, but it seems like something is getting in the way. I did a clean install last night and have hardly installed anything outside of what I have mentioned. I'm not sure what's causing the issue. Could it be my BIOS? I'm wondering if I have to reset the GPU bios so there's no stock overclock in order to get it to overclock further but that would be silly.

0 Likes

1. Target temp should be set as I have shown. That is the temperature the fans will become engaged....and will automatically increase to keep the temp under the Max temp you have set (75c), You have it set just opposite. Pull it all the way down.

2. Max temperature should be @ 75c (167degF). You have it set to 99c (210degF) which is the thermal max and it will throttle.

0 Likes

I setup everything the way it is in your screenshot. When applying the target temperature all the way down, it goes to 40. I set it to 75 max and 40 C. No difference in performance. I set it to 40 target and 90 max, no difference. When trying to set the fan to automatic, it will revert the target temperature to 70 from 40. Running it in automatic is no different. After applying the settings, it is still stuck at the stock overclock.

The PC is in high performance. No third party apps installed. I made sure the BIOS isn't trying to install ASUS Grid and I made sure the BIOS was updated as well. Background task aren't by any third parties either. The BIOS reads my GPU as 1300/7000 as well although when I boot into windows it will show the overclock.

At the stock settings, it will run the same as overclocked now despite changing between frequency and dynamic. I tried a reset on it as well and re-applied the settings with no luck.

Untitled.png

0 Likes

The Max temp should be set a manual...did you click apply at the top of the page.

Whats all this about?

0 Likes

Yeah all my settings are applied. The fan speed is set to be manual since the temperature is "manual" and AMD automatically does this. Anytime I try to set it to automatic fan settings with a manual temperature ltarget, it reverts the manual temperature target to a default of 70C instead of 40C like you want me to do. While I can get it to automatic, it will force me to be in either 70C at a bare minimum temperature target or higher. If I try 40C, it must be in manual according to WattMan. It gets nice and cold now I will say since adding extra ventilation, still doesn't help the issue lol. I know it's trying to overclock, it will push and automatically go back down. On the loading screens it will go the max "1430" setting and as soon as the game starts it drops to 1250-1300.

0 Likes
squadalah
Newcomer

So I reset drivers to factory defaults, setup my display, setup my global gaming settings, setup the overclock as specified (although AMD won't let me do automatic fan with automatic temperature) and it still won't let me overclock. I have it set to a 13% overclock, but it never gets over it's stock overclock except for a couple seconds. The memory clock is just fine. I am not going over 68C in these test either as opposed to earlier it wouldn't let me go over 78C. I'm not sure why that is either. I'm absolutely confident though the temperature is being throttled somehow. Even at 100% load it only hits 70C but won't stay at over 1270 mhz. Something is definitely not right here as far as not being able to overclock my GPU.

overclocked.png

0 Likes

You maxed the temp slider at 90 (left red fan temp slider) should be max of 75. You are likely making the card throttle.

squadalah
Newcomer

Thank you both of you guys for the helpful information. I got it running even as I type at 1460/2050 stable at 72C/74C for benchmarks. FPS went up by 6-7 FPS which is AMAZING now that I hit a consistent 55-60 fps on average minimum is 47 meaning I have freesync for the 99.9% of the time I play. Problem is absolutely solved. Thank you AMD's pokester, kingfish and AMD for providing a great experience! You guys are great! +1