Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

krzemien
Journeyman III

AMD R9 380 (as supplied by HP in OMEN PCs) - driver availability

Hello,

I have been experiencing TDRs (116 bugchecks) and 141 LiveKernelEvents whilst using this card on my 1.5 year old HP OMEN 870-095na Windows 10 x64 PC and latest available driver (17.7) as supplied by HP for this card - R9 380.

Driver - OMEN by HP 870-000 Desktop PC series | HP® Customer Support

Both were happening only when PC was left unattended in logged-off state for some time. They do not happen when using PC normally - or perhaps playing some rather dated games / doing benchmarks / GPU tests. So although annoying, kind-of manageable.

With recent 1809 update deployed earlier this week however I also started seeing these upon restart (fast boot is enabled) - or started experiencing black screens and frozen PC, which requires hard-restart. Which is not great.

I am entirely aware that it's not the latest AMD driver that is available for this card, however any attempt to get it updated via AMD installers to either of these two (18.5.1 or 18.9.3):

AMD Radeon™ R9 380 Drivers & Support | AMD

is initially successful - drivers & software gets installed and does seem to work correctly - however not for long, as Windows thinks that installed driver is not a correct match (GPU is recognised as R9 200 series rather than proprietary R9 380 series card) and installs its own rather old driver (despite me explicitly having it blocked in Device Manager).

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=R9

So, my question is: where do I go from there? Are there any plans @ AMD to either:

* supply correct / latest driver to Microsoft so more up to date driver version / software packages can be used?

* correct information in OEMxx.INF files etc. to ensure that my hardware is recognised correctly and is not overwritten by Windows?

* work with HP to get the more up-to-date driver available for this card / PC?

I will be raising this with HP as well although I'm mindful that HP seemingly stopped using AMD GPU hardware in mainstream PCs some time ago - and taking overall HP attitude not sure how successful I am going to be.

Any thoughts / responses will be most appreciated.

0 Likes
9 Replies

MS has pulled the 1809 download, due to other reported issues.

Might be better to go back to 1803.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

This is a fair point, however 1809 was just a tipping point that mobilised me to write this post - 116 / 141 events were happening on this machine since 1607/1703 (so since I got it) and only during the scenarios as I described above: PC left unattended in logged-off state, crash or TDR would occur upon returning to the machine.

I spend whole yesterday working on that PC - and without any slightest issue. So I don't I will be rolling back (although I can).

The point remain: how do I secure newer (>17.7) AMD driver for this card, that installs correctly on my PC without some kind of faffing and (hopefully) addresses this problem?

0 Likes

I would first disable "Fast Start" in BIOS. This seems to cause a lot issues with other Users.

Second if you have Windows 10 Pro installed, the best way to prevent Windows updating Drivers is through "Group Policy"  That was the only way to prevent my Windows 10 Pro from downloading and installing drivers even after turning it off in Windows in the usual way.

If you have Windows 10 Home than you don't have available "Group Policy".

From Windowsten Forum on several ways to disable Windows Driver updates: Windows 10 Help Forums

0 Likes

Thanks for your response.

Fast Boot - tried that last year when I was plagued by / troubleshooting unexplained-then BSODs. No difference here and frankly not very applicable as TDRs occur when I get back to PC that was on but logged off and unattended for some time (I've not tried to put this PC to sleep as I do not need to, wonder what would be the result?).

They do not happen otherwise and I did witness only one black screen requiring hard power down after reboot since 1809 deployment, perhaps some teething issue when system maintenance was interrupted or similar?

Windows 10 Home here so I am at mercy of correct information being fed from suppliers to Microsoft / OEM vendors (HP) - or latest driver available and installed. I know I could use wushowhide.diagcab but due to its temporary and probably unpredictable nature I'd rather not.

To be fair it's the only device in my PC which is both seemingly problematic and for which I cannot use the latest driver that is available. No problem with other manufacturers (Realtek / Intel / Logitech / SAMSUNG etc.).

Which is my exactly point: why this card is recognised kind-of incorrectly and no up to date proprietary driver, either @ HP or Microsoft is available? Perhaps AMD could have a look at this rather annoying problem?

0 Likes

The link to Windows ten Forum gives you three ways to disable Driver update in Windows. You can download the .reg file to make automatic changes to the Registry to prevent Windows from installing drivers or you could do it yourself manually or use the other methods mentioned.

Once Windows driver is disabled then install the latest AMD Driver again. You might want to follow this basic procedure to install it if you want:

install AMD driver:

1) Download the correct AMD Full Set of drivers from AMD Support. Make sure your Windows is fully updated via Windows Update. Windows Must be fully updated because the latest AMD Drivers requires all the latest "Optional" and "Recommended" updates to be installed.

2) Use Windows Uninstall to uninstall current AMD driver and software and disconnect the internet from your computer. Then use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from Wagnardsoft  Forum in Safe Mode. This will eliminate all traces of the AMD driver and software from your computer.

Delete C: \ AMD folder from the Root Directory. Reboot

3) Go to Device Manager and click "Display Adapter" and make sure you are on the MS Basic Display Adapter. If not, uninstall the AMD driver using Properties.

4) Try reinstalling the AMD FULL SET OF DRIVERS that you have downloaded manually. Make sure you disable the Internet to prevent Windows from installing a newer version. So configure windows to prevent it from updating drivers via windows update. So it has been mentioned to disable any anti-virus programs before installing AMD Drivers.

5) If the new AMD drivers installs and works correctly, delete again the C: \ AMD folder from the root directory. To save space on the HDD.

6) Enable both the Internet and Anti-Virus program (if applicable).

0 Likes

OK, I might give it a go once updated WU 1809 is released - but I think that this is inelegant workaround (=mop up really) rather than addressing the root cause, i.e. lack of up to date, correct and matching driver for my card - which hopefully addresses these TDRs.

Having said that: I just uncovered other recent threads mentioning TDR issues so I am not very hopeful.

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE ~ Atikmpag.sys | with Ryzen APU'S (Ryzen 5 2400G + Ryzen 3 2200G)

0 Likes

This User seems to be knowledgeable about the TDR error on Ryzen APU and made a personal guide on how to fix it on a current thread here at AMD Forum.

Can't vouch for his methods, if reliable or not,  but you may want to take a look and see if it helps your case any: For Those Who Are Having Problem With Ryzen 5 2400G 

0 Likes

I glanced over it - but the problem is: none of this really applies to me as this is HP-supplied PC with no chance of overclocking via BIOS for instance or any other similar fudge; I never fiddled with any GPU settings either.

As this TDR occurs under specific condition only - it (or any other GPU-related BSOD) does not happen when using PC but only when it[s left unattended - and as GPU has been tested by me few times in the past either (FurMark and similar) and I can confirm that both card and PC is fine, I can only conclude that it's either OS or GPU driver that is at fault.

Putting aside what I think about Windows 10 and taking into the account that the driver I use is dated, it's the next logical step that I need to pursue: to have the latest available matching driver installed. Which is what I am enquiring about...

0 Likes

So what I can confirm with nearly 100% certainty until now is that:

* This problem seems to be happening only when my wife's account on this PC is used

I actually did manage to witness numerous 141 LiveKernelEvents followed by ultimate 116 bug check crash (all with black screen only) when getting back to PC which was logged in to her account and left unattended for a quarter or so before yesterday evening.

I do not seem to experience this problem when I use my account only.

Both are exactly the same accounts, both with administrative rights.

* When Fast Boot is enabled and my wife's account has been used earlier (prior to shutting down this PC), this results in PC freezing when powered up.

There's no sign of this crash at all in either Even Log or Reliability History - so I need to assume that this freeze happens exactly after PC is trying to initiate graphics system just after it restored its last know state from hiberfil.sys.

So far I disabled Fast Boot for the time being and might be updating driver - as described above - later in this week.

How does graphics system gets initialised under Windows 10? Is this per user - as every time user is changed / logs in or off, there's a distinct flash as if display resolution changes (the closest description I can think of)?

I do not see this happening on Windows 7, don't remember this from XP back from the days either - but also see this 'flash' when I use Windows 8.1.

Thoughts?

0 Likes