cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blender Discussions

Interactive viewport render in large scenes

Hey again!

After using RPR 1.7.212 for about a month now i think that it does a fantastic job. Even interior scenes with a lot of indirect light render blazing fast.

The same is true for instanced objects at large scale - it's just gorgeous.

But while in small scenes the interactive viewport starts immediately and works pretty well and stable, even if you change and tweak materials or environment lighting, it takes some time (about 30-60 sec.) to start in larger scenes with a lot of objects and textures. As well, the viewport crashes then when i change something in the scene.

To me this seems to be the only really counting weak point of RPR at the moment.

RPR 1.7.212

BLENDER 2.79b

WIN 10 PRO

RYZEN 1700x

ASUS VEGA 64

0 Likes
4 Replies
bsavery
Staff

On the stability front we've made some significant changes recently that I think should help (currently only published for windows).

With regards to larger scenes taking longer of course that is somewhat expected, but can you attach a scene so we can take a look if it's scaling particularly badly?  One thing I can think of in particular is if you use a bunch of meshes with multiple materials, we have improved that a bit lately.

Hey Brian!

Thanks for your reply.

For a quick test i nuked all materials of the scene and as you might have expected rendered viewport now starts pretty fast. But it still crashes, if i change something in the scene.

Seperating objects to different layers solves the problem - everything runs just fine if there is a limited amount of objects on a layer.

I think i have to recreate a scene with similar issues that is smaller than the actual one.

I will upload it here when i'm done.

0 Likes

Sorry I mis-typed.  The stability changes are coming soon for windows.  Available now in MacOS

0 Likes

Hello again,

i tried different scenes with high polycount and it seems to be a problem, when using a lot of image textures. Procedural materials and even different refraction shaders work very well and the interactive render starts fast and is pretty stable, when tweaking materials or objects. However, when i introduce different image-based materials, the viewport startup dips down significantly and gets unstable.

0 Likes