cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Gurus Discussions

lilith5th
Adept II

can 2P epyc config be asymetrical

I'm interested to know if AMD released the minimum requirements for 2P config? do both CPUs need to be same model, or just their partial specs, such as L3, frequency and operating memory speed?

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi lilith5th ,

To use a 2P configuration, the processors have to be the same model. You do not have to populate both sockets initially, however, as explained in this post.

Future Scalability from Single Socket to Dual Socket Re: What is the difference between the "P" versions of EPYC processors?

0 Likes

thanks for a fast reply.

do you happen to know if unbuffered/non ECC memory is supported; The rig would be used as a render station where such features are not mandatory, and I'm trying to shave off the final price as much as possible. Especially since I have bunch of DDR4 sticks on hand.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi lilith5th,

EPYC processors do not support unbufferred/non ECC memory. Would you be able to provide some more insight into the intended workload for the system? You can always have a look at our EPYC P line designed for single socket or Threadripper to meet your system budget.

0 Likes

thanks for a swift reply.

Yes, I'm considering a TR, and while doing my homework on it, I came across Epyc specs, and found the superMicro dual MBO + Epyc 7281 is similar in price, compared to TR+TR4 boards, and it offers ability to add another CPU without worrying about taking up space and cost(PSU, GPU,..) of 2 MidTower PCs. Hence I was interested how compatible the Epyc series is, and if further down the line when I decide to add a 2nd cpu I'll be limited in choices.
As for ram, the apps I use gain nothing from ECC (vray/corona rendering), and was interested if it's mandatory or not, since I know Xeons, although not recommended do run on non-ECC ram, and I dont mind it being a "frankenPC" as long as it gets stuff done and if I improve my bang/buck investment.

0 Likes