cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

leeintexas
Journeyman III

amd 870 vs amd 970

Hello, all. I have a motherboard with AMD 870 chipset; I am considering replacing it with a new motherboard with AMD 970 chipset. Is this exchange compatible? Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

The Gigabyte website shows that the Athlon II x2 260 is compatible with the GA-970A-DS3P (Vers. 1 & 2) motherboards.

If you are considering updating the processor at some point.

I would suggest going with the FX-8xxx series, here is some info on that...

http://www.cpu-world.com/cgi-bin/CompareParts.pl?PART1=AMD_ADX260OCK23GM&PART2=AMD_FD8350FRW8KHK

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
arcticwind
Forerunner

Are you planning on using the same processor?  If so, what is it?

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

The 870 chipsets were used on the motherboards with the AM3 socket and the 970 chipsets are used on the motherboards with the AM3/AM3+ sockets.

What motherboard are you thinking of upgrading too?

0 Likes

I do not know how to identify the processor, but it is compatible with the

old motherboard, which is a Biostar A87OU3 with AM3 and AMD 870. The

upgrade I am thinking of is a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P with AM3+ and AMD 970.

The machine is a homebuilt PC running Windows 10 64 bit.

0 Likes

If the processor is out of the system, the info is printed on the top of it.  Let me know the part numbers and I can look it up for you.

If the processor is in the system right now: go to the windows start button, go to settings, go to system, go to "about".  Here it will tell you the processor info.

0 Likes

Also, if you go to Gigabytes web page and find the motherboard, you can click on the "support" tab, then go to the "CPU support" page.

This will show all supported processors and the BIOS versions for the motherboard. 

Note: There a two revision numbers for this board so make sure you are on the right one.  The revision numbers are printed on the lower left hand corner of the motherboards.

0 Likes

I followed the Start button instructions and got the following

information: AMD Athlon II X2 260 processor 3.20 GHz

0 Likes

The Gigabyte website shows that the Athlon II x2 260 is compatible with the GA-970A-DS3P (Vers. 1 & 2) motherboards.

If you are considering updating the processor at some point.

I would suggest going with the FX-8xxx series, here is some info on that...

http://www.cpu-world.com/cgi-bin/CompareParts.pl?PART1=AMD_ADX260OCK23GM&PART2=AMD_FD8350FRW8KHK

Good Luck!

Thanks, arcticwind!

0 Likes

Yes, I do plan to use the same processor.

0 Likes