Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

fimbulvetr
Adept II

R9 255 GPU Crashing - couldn't acess hardware

Greetings.
Lately I've been having this strange error.
When I start a game ( let's say Witcher 3) I end up having an error about 5-10 minutes ingame ".exe couldn't acess hardware".
My drivers are up to date and I already tried re-installing the game, the driver, the amd software.
Since the error got worse, I also wiped clean my computer ( factory reset), reinstlaled the drivers, still the issue remains

What is strange is that it never happened before. I didn't change my hardware in any way.
Any  hints?

Message was edited by: Matt B

Edit title

0 Likes
14 Replies

Need a tad more information > INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

Sure, Here you go.

Describe your system:

• AMD R9 255
  • ASUS DESKTOP PC G20BM SERIES
  • Operating System -Windows 8.1 64Bits
  • Driver - Radeon Software Crimson Relive 17.4.4

• Display Devices -  LG- FULL HD via HDMI, 60hz 1920-1080
  • Motherboard American Megatrends INC 05/11/2014
  • CPU/APU AMD FX 770K Quadcore 3.5Ghz
  • RAM  8GB
0 Likes

Your graphics card is a OEM card...meaning get the drivers from the computer manufacturer. To install any driver, note > AMD Radeon R9 255 OEM Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

So, if I get you right. I should unistall the drivers, then update windows, then reinstall drivers?
I checked my windows update,apparently i'm uptodate on that front.

I'd like to check that with you. I'm going on the AMD website, and i'm not seeing my GPU's name on the list. Could you tell me what is wrong?

AMD Drivers and Support for Radeon, Radeon Pro, FirePro, APU, CPU, Ryzen, desktops, laptops

0 Likes

OEM means you must get the drivers from the manufacturer...Asus.

oh. right

0 Likes

Alright. I believe I've found the driver. ROG G20BM Driver & Tools | ROG - Republic Of Gamers | ASUS USA

I need to unistall the other one, finish with windows update, then instal the new one. Should'nt be long.
EDIT : Windows just found 30 new updates.... could actually be a tad longer.

Ok. I've done all of the things you suggested. The issue remais though. I still get those weird freezes game crashes.

0 Likes

Check the Power Limit settings in Wattman...it should be set to the max + value

Make sure your computer power plan is set to 'Performance' (not balanced)

AMD graphics performance

0 Likes

Where can I get wattman?
I know i must sound silly but thanks for putting up with it so far

EDIT : i couldn't find WATTMAN, hoever, I did find a similar function on the AMD software.
I set the power to +20%, see the picture.

0 Likes

Yes...that's correct.

Okay, i'll keep you psoted if it happens again Thanks for your help so far

0 Likes

Alright. Happened again. However there was some good news.
I could play the game for a good while, nothing happened much.

But then it did it again once, and since then I can't get it to work again.

I was wondering if thoses "pits and ladders" kind of curvs could help

0 Likes

Alright, it's been a couple a day and here's what has happened :
_ problem seems to be "solved' ( or at least avoided), somedays i  get no issues at all, some days the mess is back
_tweaking the AMD settings seems to be the solution, i need to re-do the settings almost every time the game crashes

0 Likes