cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

proclivitas
Adept II

Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to latest version(s).

I'm getting this message as a text pop-up, and AMD settings do not run (it is impossible to run due to the error):

"Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to latest version(s)."

... whenever I try to open AMD settings after installing any driver past 18.2.2 .

R9 290X on Windows 7 x64.

I am not installing relive, and I am not installing anything except AMD settings and driver (no HDMI audio, no ACP application, no bethesda launcher, etc.).

I have tried:
Clean install using amd driver
Clean install after DDU
Rolling back to 18.2.1 (settings work fine)
18.2.3 (settings broken)
From 18.2.1 directly to 18.3.1 (settings broken)
From 18.3.1 "no clean" downgrade to 18.2.2 (settings work fine).

Basically, settings work fine on 18.2.1 and 18.2.2 but break on 18.2.3 and 18.3.1 consistently.

I'm at a loss.

Win7 x64 is updated fully with windows update etc.

Let me know if you have any ideas on what to check, or is it broken for everyone, and nobody is saying anything???

190 Replies
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

We have been trying hard to reproduce the issue and would like some information from those still experiencing it.

Please provide the value in this registry key BEFORE you erase it:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AMD\CN\DriverVersion

Thanks

ray_m wrote:

We have been trying hard to reproduce the issue and would like some information from those still experiencing it.

Please provide the value in this registry key BEFORE you erase it:

Thanks

Sorry for taking so long to reply - it's been a busy week.

So, first I reinstalled the same driver I'm using (v18.7.1). After rebooting, I checked the DriverVersion key and it was still empty - simply reinstalling did not set the key's value. I believe this might be a clue to help figure out what's happening.

Then I tried again, but this time I did a clean install (same driver version), and the DriverVersion key value was set to 24.20.12019.1010.

Notes: I'm on Windows 7 x64 SP1 with an RX 570. This OS install only has one user account. I have never installed ReLive.

Please feel free to ask for more details on my system here or though a private message, and thanks for not giving up on this issue.

0 Likes

Just to confirm : Did you get the error message with the empty key or after the clean install ?

0 Likes

ray_m wrote:

Just to confirm : Did you get the error message with the empty key or after the clean install ?

Didn't even try to open Radeon Settings when I just reinstalled and it didnt set DriverVersion. Let me do it again.

0 Likes

pedro-nf wrote:

ray_m wrote:

Didn't even try to open Radeon Settings when I just reinstalled and it didnt set DriverVersion. Let me do it again.

Reinstalled, DriverVersion remained blank, Radeon Settings started fine. Edited DriverVersion and set it to 24.20.12019.1010, closed the Radeon Settings process, tried to run it and got the "versions don't match" error.

0 Likes

Thanks for your efforts.

Every driver update, the value gets updated correctly.  I can't remember what it was last time for 18.7.1 and don't care to install, sorry, but it looks like what pedro posted above (if I remember correctly):  24.20.12019.1010 .  I'll come back and post the next driver version update, which I'm sure will update the registry just fine.

Every driver update, after installing the new driver, I think to myself "I wonder if they've fixed it" - so I run settings.  Every time "version don't match" pops up.  Every time I go in regedit, and erase the value of the key mentioned above (just the value, not the entire key, and I leave it blank).  Every time radeonsettings.exe works fine afterwards.  (side note:  When radeonsettings.exe displays the "versions do not match" error message, there's an "OK", but after I hit that "OK" it remains running in an invisible/"crashed" state in the background and I have to shut it down with ctrl+alt+delete to make it work after blanking out the reg value - just one time, of course, and only when it's already crashed -  when the key is blank it continues to work just fine even after reboots etc.).

I don't believe there's an issue with the driver install updating the registry key.  I believe there's an issue with reading/parsing or comparing the key in the runtime code of radeonsettings.exe .  It's either the reading of the registry that fails, or the reading of the comparison (what radeonsettings.exe expects it to be) that fails.

I don't really have the know-how, but if someone can run a debugger or set a break point/check to display the values that are attempted to be compared, maybe that would help?  Or if the message can be improved to say "Registry-read Driver version: vvvv.www.xxx.yy.zzz does not match Expected Driver version higher than (?):  aaaaa.bbbb.cccc.ddd" - that would really help debugging this issue.

if you delete the key then it says all versions are updatres even the same installed version tells me its avail update 

On Friday, July 20, 2018, 5:13:49 PM GMT+1, proclivitas <amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

|

Community

Re: Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to latest version(s).

in Drivers & Software

Thanks for your efforts.

Every driver update, the value gets updated correctly.  I can't remember what it was last time for 18.7.1 and don't care to install, sorry, but it looks like what pedro posted above (if I remember correctly):  24.20.12019.1010 .  I'll come back and post the next driver version update, which I'm sure will update the registry just fine.

Every driver update, after installing the new driver, I think to myself "I wonder if they've fixed it" - so I run settings.  Every time "version don't match" pops up.  Every time I go in regedit, and erase the value of the key mentioned above (just the value, not the entire key, and I leave it blank).  Every time radeonsettings.exe works fine afterwards.

I don't believe there's an issue with the driver install updating the registry key.  I believe there's an issue with reading/parsing or comparing the key in the runtime code of radeonsettings.exe .  It's either the reading of the registry that fails, or the reading of the comparison (what radeonsettings.exe expects it to be) that fails.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:

- Go to the message on Community (you’ll need to log in).

- Click on either the Helpful Answer button or the Correct Answer button.

- Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

This email was sent by Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

must be a amd problem they write the device drivers and write where the reg keys are located and what values shd be surely its their problem to fix 

On Saturday, July 21, 2018, 10:33:57 PM GMT+1, pedro-nf <amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

|

Community

|

Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to latest version(s).

pedro-nf marked terry parker's reply on Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to latest version(s). as helpful. View the full reply

Marked as helpful:

if you delete the key then it says all versions are updatres even the same installed version tells me its avail update 

On Friday, July 20, 2018, 5:13:49 PM GMT+1, proclivitas <amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote: 

|

Community 

Re: Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to latest version(s).

in Drivers & Software 

Thanks for your efforts.

Every driver update, after installing the new driver, I think to myself "I wonder if they've fixed it" - so I run settings.  Every time "version don't match" pops up.  Every time I go in regedit, and erase the value of the key mentioned above (just the value, not the entire key, and I leave it blank).  Every time radeonsettings.exe works fine afterwards.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:

- Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

Following Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to latest version(s). in these streams: Inbox

0 Likes

For me it is even worse, I do not have my system on disk C:\

my AMD software does not install with proper links to monitor upgrade and

proper icon in program manager and proper links to them either..

the issue started after 17.xx.

I was posting screens and description in other topics.

now I completely uninstalled AMD software and manually installed only drivers for 7790

This is odd for the support of your product.

@ray_m Here's trying with 18.8.1.  Incidentally, I have to go back to 18.6.1.  18.7.1 and 18.8.1 have been unusable in eyefinity mode, my display turns into a slideshow.

Catalyst1881.png

0 Likes
proclivitas
Adept II

This persists on 18.8.1 now!  Still the EXACT same issue.

Key value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AMD\CN
String "DriverVersion"="24.20.13001.1010"
If that "24.20.13001.1010" is replaced with "" - i.e. when it's erased, control panel works fine.

That is the value before the erasing.  I'm guessing it's the correct one, since it restores itself every driver update.  Works fine with blank.

No other changes are necessary to make radeonsettings.exe work fine.

Win7 x64 fully updated, Radeon R9 290X.

0 Likes
the-mechanic
Journeyman III

Hi everyone. Im not the smartest person when it comes to computers so this is all kind of "Greek" to me. I am running Windows 10 and getting the same message after I allowed HP smart friend fix a Windows error I had. I have let HP work on this problem and I was told that they would talk this over with R&D and let me know something soon, that was over a week ago.. When I open a ticket about it with HP it just goes unanswered. I had this computer custom built just for gaming and decided to go with AMD because of past problems with Intel. I am really starting to regret my decision spending close to 10 grand on a computer with AMD. If there is any kind of fix anyone knows of or if I should just wait it out please let me know. I am all ears for your thoughts. I don't seem to be suffering any performance issues.

Thank You

E.S.

0 Likes
proclivitas
Adept II

Contents of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AMD\CN\DriverVersion BEFORE blanking:

After blanking works fine.

This is today's 18.8.2 driver.

Per ray_m's request, C:\Program Files\AMD\CIM\Log\Installer.log in pastebin:

https://pastebin.com/Y1y72Prn

0 Likes

What do u meanbefore and  after blanking ?? 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 6:50, proclivitas<amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

#yiv5866183788 * #yiv5866183788 a #yiv5866183788 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv5866183788 #yiv5866183788 h1, #yiv5866183788 h2, #yiv5866183788 h3, #yiv5866183788 h4, #yiv5866183788 h5, #yiv5866183788 h6, #yiv5866183788 p, #yiv5866183788 hr {}#yiv5866183788 .yiv5866183788button td {}

|

Community

in Drivers & Software

Contents of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AMD\CN\DriverVersion BEFORE blanking:

After blanking works fine.

This is today's 18.8.2 driver.

Per ray_m's request, C:\Program Files\AMD\CIM\Log\Installer.log in pastebin:

https://pastebin.com/Y1y72Prn

|

0 Likes

Read original post.

Erasing the value in that string in the registry makes radeonsettings.exe work perfectly.  Erasing the value = blanking (making it blank).
I have to erase the driverversion string after every new driver install to make radeonsettings.exe work, otherwise I get the message in OP.

0 Likes

use of wording threw me i.e to blank leave entrie blank , blanking to me is a term i use to ignore a person not leqave an entry blank , thnks  but amd still not able leave an entry blank after an install to prevent this regular problwem how hard is it to sort this annoying glitch in yr software ???  On Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 5:08:13 PM GMT+1, proclivitas <amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

|

Community

in Drivers & Software

Read original post.

Erasing the value in that string in the registry makes radeonsettings.exe work perfectly.  Erasing the value = blanking (making it blank).

I have to erase the driverversion string after every new driver install to make radeonsettings.exe work, otherwise I get the message in OP.

|

0 Likes

Had the exact same problem on two identical computers. But on a third, almost identical one updates worked without a problem.

So I took a deeper look and can now tell you exactly what the problem is:

There are actually two copies of the value under

The second one is under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\DriverVersion

For 18.8.2 both should be: 24.20.13011.1009

If they match everything is fine, if they don't, you get the error-message. Only the first two numbers are compared and blanking the first value just seems to disable the check.

The problem now is that RadeonSettings obviously reads the value from ControlSet1 instead of CurrentControlSet (the same seems to be done for RadeonSoftwareVersion).

On most Windows Installations CurrentControlSet is just a link to ControlSet1 and you will never notice the bug.

That is until once you choose "Last Known Good Configuration" in the Advanced Boot Options. From then on CurrentControlSet will be a link to ControlSet2 (or ControlSet3 or ControlSet4 but never again ControlSet1, you can google the details).

Even then you won't notice it immediately, because the data under ControlSet1 is still there and correct.

But after the next Update the Value under ControlSet2 will be changed and will differ from ControlSet1 and you start to get the error.

This seems to be a recent change in RadeonSettings because the data under my ControlSet1 was from 2011 and I only started to see the error since 18.2.3.

To AMD: this should be very easy to reproduce, so please fix this ASAP.

Edit: just do the "Last Know Good Configuration" Boot twice, it'll delete ControlSet1 and you should see the error at once.

P.S. you can make CurrentControlSet point to ControlSet1 again, it worked for me and fixed the error, but it's a risky operation, you have been warned.

Ray_AMD
Community Manager

Thank you for this feedback, I think we're close to addressing the issue.

0 Likes

Amazing troubleshooting.  Hats off to you.

Can confirm I have 3 "controlsets," and the driverversion in 1 is quite old... it starts with 13 :-) ...

Anyway, it's just crazy it has taken 6 months to address this now.  But it sounds like after users finding exactly what is wrong, it will be addressed?

merl
Journeyman III

I found an almost foolproof way how to restore ControlSet001 as CurrentControlSet, so I think it's worthwhile to share as all it involves is using regedit and rebooting the computer three times.

Still this is manipulating the registry in a way that is not intended, so at the very least have a backup of the registry or better yet your computer handy just in case. I take no responsibility for whatever happens.

If you do not want to wait for AMD to actually fix the driver, here is what to do:

All the important registry keys are under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select

After a clean install there should be four keys:

Current = 1

Default = 1

Failed = 0

LastKnownGood = 2

If that is what you have, stop here, because you can only make it worse.

If you have used "Last Known Good Config" once, you should have:

Current = 2

Default = 2

Failed = 1

LastKnownGood = 3

The values will be higher if you did it more than once.

First Step, we have to get rid of ControlSet001. It's of no use (besides debugging) anyways, but failing to remove it led to a corrupted registry after Step Three for me.

Edit Failed to read 0, reboot and ControlSet001 should be gone. If not, stop right here.

Second Step, we use the fact that Windows, after a sucessfull boot, copies the Default ControlSet to the LastKnownGood.

Edit LastKnownGood to read 1 and reboot.

Third Step, we are almost there. We should now only have ControlSet001 and ControlSet002 (or whatever your Default ControlSet was).

Edit LastKnowGood to read 2 and Default to read 1 and reboot.

That's it. This worked for me on a Windows 7 Professional and after that even the current drivers install without a hitch.

(Revised: the first version was a bit of in regards to the Failed key, but worked nonetheless)

merls workaround worked for me! ty!

I still have the entries of controllset 2 and 3 but it worked nonetheless

0 Likes
xpres715
Adept I

I have the same problem with Ryzen 5 2500U Vega 8 HP x360 laptop

0 Likes
sinojos
Journeyman III

R9 390 has been over a year now, still no fix from AMD. Last AMD Graphics card for me, the R9 390 being the second AMD graphics card I have used in 37 years of pc gaming. As paying customers we should not have to go into the registry and do edits, or do any kind of special tricks to get AMD drivers and or software to work. Linux support is even worse, hard to believe but it is.

I dual boot and I had hope that with Open Source support AMD would get better on LInux, but no. Combined with the crappy Windows support, just not worth it. The R9 390 is overall the most problematic and worst graphics card I have ever used. Think not, simply do a google search for the subject of this thread, and all the other issues with AMD graphics on Linux and Windows.  AMD drivers have an ongoing problem that AMD refuses to rectify.

AMD processors are great processors, but the Graphics Cards are crap. Hard to believe they both come from the same manufacture. After two bad AMD Graphics cards in a row, not getting my money a third time.

Hi,

I understand your frustration.

Which version of Linux are you running?

I have been testing Steam Play Beta for Linux and also Native Linux Performance on Fedora 28 and Ubuntu over the past week.

You can see the test result videos here: Steam for Linux :: Introducing a new version of Steam Play. If you run Linux, can you please test ...

I worked with and got help and advice from friendly and helpful people on the Level1 Techs Forum here: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/windows-games-on-steam-for-linux-proton-client-testing-grounds/13121...

I have not added any tools to overclock the CPU in Linux, that had to be done in BIOS (it uses settings determined by ASUS AISUITE III in Windows 10).

So the CPU overclock is unlikely to be optimal in Linux.
I have not done anything to prioritize CPU effort, or kill any background jobs that may help gaming performance.
The Corsair H100i CPU Watercooler is running at default effort, In Windows 10 all fans and cooling would be maxed out.
I have not overclocked the GPU either. Those videos just show native GPU performance. In Windows 10 I would normally modify the Fan Profile and Power Setting to +50%. I might also overclock the GPU by ~ 5% to gain a couple of FPS.

There is no GUI for AMD Drivers on Linux for > 2 years now, so I looked for one myself.

I was initially so annoyed that there is still on AMD GUI on Linux so I can monitor/control my AMD GPU cards that I was going to attempt to write one using QT and C++.

However realistically I have other work to do and a living to earn. I should not have to do it.

I paid money for my numerous AMD GPU's.
Working Drivers and a GUI should be included.

I have been talking with  the developer Radeon-Profile and 'doing some work, on my own initiative '.

Temporary GUI Solution to monitor your AMD GPU's for AMDGPU &amp; AMDGPUPRO Drivers on Ubuntu 16.04 ...

I will be updating that thread with latest information in a moment.

Much work went into running the above testing. If you like what I did, please give some likes to the posts and add some comments, as it might manage to get some attention from AMD about the need for a GUI on Linux and better support of AMD Drivers on Linux. I can see migration from Windows to Linux increasing in the next year.

There are many people out here who will happily run testing and give feedback in an attempt to improve things, for free.
However it feels like if you report a problem, or state a bad situation, the instant reaction is to attack the messenger and "protect" AMD.
This is so short sighted.

It feels like no one listens.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Whats this got to do wth the forementioned radeon settings do not match ???   

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 at 11:26, colesdav<amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

#yiv2866628269 * #yiv2866628269 a #yiv2866628269 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv2866628269 #yiv2866628269 h1, #yiv2866628269 h2, #yiv2866628269 h3, #yiv2866628269 h4, #yiv2866628269 h5, #yiv2866628269 h6, #yiv2866628269 p, #yiv2866628269 hr {}#yiv2866628269 .yiv2866628269button td {}

|

Community

|

colesdav marked sinojos's reply on Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to latest version(s). as helpful. View the full reply

Marked as helpful:

R9 390 has been over a year now, still no fix from AMD. Last AMD Graphics card for me, the R9 390 being the second AMD graphics card I have used in 37 years of pc gaming. As paying customers we should not have to go into the registry and do edits, or do any kind of special tricks to get AMD drivers and or software to work. Linux support is even worse, hard to believe but it is.

I dual boot and I had hope that with Open Source support AMD would get better on LInux, but no. Combined with the crappy Windows support, just not worth it. The R9 390 is overall the most problematic and worst graphics card I have ever used. Think not, simply do a google search for the subject of this thread, and all the other issues with AMD graphics on Linux and Windows.  AMD drivers have an ongoing problem that AMD refuses to rectify.

AMD processors are great processors, but the Graphics Cards are crap. Hard to believe they both come from the same manufacture. After two bad AMD Graphics cards in a row, not getting my money a third time.

Following Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to latest version(s). in these streams: Inbox

0 Likes

Seem like the latest AMD Driver supposingly fixed the problem with Radeon Settings: Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.9.1 Release Notes

Fixed Issues

• Radeon FreeSync may fail to enable when playing Monster Hunter™: World.
  • Radeon Settings may sometimes not appear in the right-click context menu on Windows® desktop after Radeon Software installation.
  • AMD Link may fail to connect on Android Pie devices due to authentication failures.
  • Some DirectX®12 gaming applications may experience instability while recording with Radeon ReLive on system configurations using Radeon R9 290 and Radeon R9 390 series graphics products."
  • Radeon Settings may sometimes popup an error message due to Driver and Radeon Settings version mismatch.
  • Cursor or system lag may be observed on some system configurations when two or more displays are connected and one display is powered off.

I was going to say, I'm not going to believe it until I see it with my eyes...  so yes, I saw it.

Confirmed resolved.

Only took 7 months...  Thanks to the amazing people who identified the registry entry, and then the exact problem.

pedro-nf
Adept III

Version 18.9.1 finally fixed the problem for me (Win 7 x64 SP1 minus spyware updates, RX 570 and... MSI Afterburner!!!).

I would like to especially thank ray_m for all his dedication to solve the problem. He kept contacting me and other users privately to ask for feedback, which he then forwarded to the dev team.

Thank you for your kind words. But it would not have been possible without the patience and some really excellent help we received from some members here. Thank you all.

Since this issue has now been resolved, I am locking this thread,

who_am_l
Journeyman III

I found a solution for the AMD Radeon Software & Drivers Bug "Radeon Software and Drivers versions do not match. Please try again after updating to the latest version(s)." and  "Radeon Settings and Driver versions do not match. Please try again after updating to the latest version(s)." To solve the bug, please follow the steps:

1. Open the Device Manager
  2. Search your graphic card (Display Adapters > Your Graphic Card)
  3. Right click it and open the Properties
  4. Go to Driver and click Update Driver
  5. Browse now your computer for drivers
  6. Pick the list of avaible drivers on your computer
  7. Select the latest installed AMD Radeon Driver and click on next

Now, the AMD will be install and after that, restart your pc and the AMD Driver will work.

0 Likes