cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

shart
Journeyman III

Ryzen 2600X clock speed won't go to 4,2 ghz.

- It varies between 4 - 4,125 ghz when gaming. Temps are 60 - 67 C. Mobo is MSI x470 Carbon. I tried PBO from Ryzen master but no help.

0 Likes
9 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

shart, with no information, there is no chance of even guessing.  Please post your system specifications, including power supply, version of OS and UEFI and a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM).  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

PSU is 650 W

BIOS: American Megatrends inc. 2.00, 2.4.2018

And here's a screen. Nothing running background and clocks are that high. But when I start game clock speed drops a bit.Näyttökuva (2).png

0 Likes

Thanks, shart.  Looks like EDC is the problem.  This is, as I understand, basically the current deliver limit for your CPU VRM.  PBO will limit the frequency for a number of reasons.  Your system is running out of VRM current.  I do not have a suggestion of how to correct this.  I do suggest you open an AMD Online Support request and ask about the EDC red message and while asking, please ask them about the 1000W limit on PPT(CPU).  1000W of anything on your board/processor makes no sense.  Please send them the screenshot and tell them the version of Ryzen Master (RM).  I would suggest you update RM first in case you are not running the latest.  Please also ask them what "99% of 125 A, Limit 168A" means.  It seems self contradictory to me!  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
wiltocking
Journeyman III

That's what I've seen on mine with everything on auto, it will get to 4.2 ghz for split seconds but it will maintain a lower clock speed of around 4.1 ghz normally.

0 Likes

Well, that shouldn't be normal, right? What's the point of boost here when it NEVER reaches it? Temp limit is somewhere 90 and when cpu reaches 70 degress cpu clock drops even under 4 ghz. Not used to things like this with Intel chips.

So, this is absolutely normal for 2600X to run under maximum boost clock?

0 Likes

shart, here is your specifications:

2600X.jpg

The only temperature that counts is from RM.  Your processor should not limit the clock at 70C, but much closer to 95C.  This is not an Intel chip and will behave differently.  I do not work for AMD and cannot tell you what is "absolutely normal".  This is part of the reason I encouraged you to open an AMD support request.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Ok, thank you. One more question. If I try to google amd support it forwards this forum . Can you link it for me. Thx.

0 Likes

Shart, here is the link.    If your search includes Online, you get to the same site.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I've always understood "Boost" as being a temporary condition. That's why we have a base clock speed as a reference. My 2600X runs hotter than yours and it usually settles at 3.9 Ghz with an intermittent boost to 4.1Ghz under gaming conditions. Otherwise, it will idle at 2.2 Ghz and boost to 4.2 Ghz while multitasking etc. 

0 Likes