cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mdfe
Journeyman III

[Ubuntu 18.04, AMDGPU-PRO] Which card would work flawlessly with four or more attached monitors?

Hi,

I have asked in another thread whether some old legacy status cards could be used in a current Ubuntu 18.04. After a lot of trial and error with both nvidia and radeons and 12+ hours wasted I  finally gave up and thanks to user goodplay here I realized that I have asked the wrong question. The right question should have been: Which current AMD card - if any - works flawlessly with Ubuntu 18.04 if you want to build a multimonitor setup composed of four or more monitors?

Looking at Radeon™ Software for Linux® 18.20 Early Preview Release Notes, one can easily see under AMD Product Family Compatibility the list of currently supported cards.

But I know three things:

- looking through this forum, not every supported card will work as peachy as mentioned list would imply (example:  https://community.amd.com/message/2862180?q=ubuntu%2018.04 )

- older, legacy status cards definitely won't work in Ubuntu 18.04 as evident by the response of goodplay from my previous thread: [Ubuntu 18.04] Several old radeostandardns together with amdgpu driver for multimonitor still suppor...

- one monitor should always work, but deviating from the norm and using four or more monitors has always caused problems regarding drivers (Ubuntu) for me.

Which card should I buy? Must be one single card with multiple connectors. More VGA/DVI connectors, less Displayport as active adapters are expensive. Don't require much gpu power, as I am not a gamer. Work/surfing. But it needs to work in an actual setup, not just theoretically and just because some compatiblity list says so. Anecdotal evidence is ok.

Has anyone here a more advanced monitor setup running in Ubuntu 18.04? More than just the conventional dual monitor setup? Which card worked for you?

Would be very thankful for any answers,

mdfe

0 Likes
1 Reply

Found this website where someone was using a RX 580 with Ubuntu 18.04 for two monitors. Needed to add a line to get both to work in Ubuntu: drivers - Dual Monitors on 18.04 with Radeon RX 580 GPU - Ask Ubuntu

Try adding amdgpu.dc=0 to the kernel command line at boot, to see if it helps.dobey Jun 16 at 19:03

• You, sir. are legendary! Thank you! Please add an answer and I will accept it. Would you be able to elaborate as to why this works? Just so I can at least try and understand what's happening - always found configuring displays a nightmare sometimes with Ubuntu.Zakalwe Jun 16 at 21:27

Here is another User using two Professional AMD GPU card is able to get 8 monitors to work with Ubuntu 18.04 but not 12 monitors: 18.04 - Ubuntu 18.04LTS with 12 screens - Ask Ubuntu

I was on Ubuntu 14.04LTS with 2 graphic cards (amd firepro W600) and 12 screens on one desktop (6 screens on each graphic card, resolution 1920x1080).

But impossible to display more than 8 screens on freshly installed ubuntu 18.04 using auto detection. "xrandr" command display every screen but the maximum total size is 16384x16384

I tried to copy xorg.conf file in "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" changing the driver name to "amdgpu", disabling Xinerama (because it doesn't start with it) and setting the second screen to position 1 to do some tests but just 6 screens are enabled.

Do you have any idea how to display more than 8 screens on Ubuntu 18.04LTS ?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this Linux Forum is a good place to find answers to your post: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/