cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

scuba_doctor
Adept I

OpenGL Drivers for HP Pavilion laptop

Until a month or so ago my HP Pavilion 15 aw009ax laptop was working fine running Windows 10. Then after a software/drivers update I could no longer run the Roon Labs program. It said...

OpenGL 3.0 or higher is required. The video drivers on this system do not support OpenGL 3.0.

GL_ARB_framebuffer_object extension is missing.

The laptop reports it has the following graphics devices, and both are flagged...

AMD Radeon R5 Graphics

Driver Provider: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc

Driver Date: 26/10/2017

Driver Version: 23.20.768.12

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

AMD Radeon R8 M445DX

Driver Date: 26/10/2017

Driver Version: 23.20.768.12

Trying to update the drivers via Windows reports...

The best drivers are already installed.

How do I get back support for OpenGL?

0 Likes
1 Solution

I've reinstalled the BIOS from the HP web site. Still no graphics related option.

I've gone through and removed the AMD drivers again, such that I was back to the basic windows drivers.

Then I've installed the graphics drivers from the HP web site. The device drivers are now reporting that they're okay and OpenGL is working.

Many thanks to everyone who has helped me to get this far.

Now I just need to figure out how to keep the system from replacing these drivers with updated ones.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies

By any chance do you have the latest BIOS installed from August 2018 for your laptop: HP Pavilion 15-aw009ax - Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

BIOS (1)

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (AMD Processors)

F.30 Rev.A11.7 MBAug 8, 2018 DownloadHP's Terms of Use
DetailsAssociated filesPrevious versions

Type:

BIOS

Version:

F.30 Rev.A

Operating systems:

Windows 10 (64-bit)

Release date:

Aug 8, 2018

File name:

sp91463.exe

(11.7 MB)

Description:

This package provides an update to the System BIOS. The update installs on supported notebook models using a supported Microsoft Windows Operating System. It is necessary to restart the system to complete the installation.

Fix and enhancements:

- Provides the security update.

What APU is installed on your Laptop?

Need to install the APU Driver which also installs the R8 M445DX discrete Driver at the same time: Radeon™ Software Adrenalin Edition 18.9.2 Release Notes | AMD .

0 Likes

I didn't, but the BIOS is up to date now. Problem with graphics drivers still exists.

Okay, I've also now updated the graphics drivers. The laptop now reports it has the following graphics devices, and both are flagged...

AMD Radeon R7 M340

Driver Date: 18/09/2018

Driver Version: 24.20.13017.5001

AMD Radeon R5 Graphics

Driver Date: 18/09/2018

Driver Version: 24.20.13017.5001

Note how Windows 10 is now reporting different display adapters than it was before. The R8 doesn't get a mention.

OpenGL still not supported.

0 Likes

If both Graphic Displays has a yellow exclamation mark is not a good indication in Device Manager.

What Version of Windows do you have installed?

Also try and post your question at this specific AMD Forum that deals with OpenGL. Maybe someone may know the answer or show you how to install the latest OpenGL on your laptop: OpenGL & Vulkan​  Maybe AMD Moderator at that Forum Deepak ​ can decide if this applies to the OpenGL Forum.

What is the laptop's APU (Cpu with integrated Graphics) that is installed?

First try installing the HP AMD Driver with this basic procedure. Sometime if you don't delete C:\AMD Folder and all previous AMD driver it will corrupt the current installation. If using the old previous HP drivers and your Display Adapters work correctly without any Yellow Exclamation marks. Then use the same basic procedure to install the latest AMD Laptop generic drivers and see if the Yellow Exclamation marks reappear.

install AMD driver:

1) Download the correct AMD Full Set of drivers from AMD Support. Make sure your Windows is fully updated via Windows Update. Windows Must be fully updated because the latest AMD Drivers requires all the latest "Optional" and "Recommended" updates to be installed.

2) Use Windows Uninstall to uninstall current AMD driver and software and disconnect the internet from your computer. Then use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from Wagnardsoft  Forum in Safe Mode. This will eliminate all traces of the AMD driver and software from your computer.

Delete C: \ AMD folder from the Root Directory. Reboot

3) Go to Device Manager and click "Display Adapter" and make sure you are on the MS Basic Display Adapter. If not, uninstall the AMD driver using Properties.

4) Try reinstalling the AMD FULL SET OF DRIVERS that you have downloaded manually. Make sure you disable the Internet to prevent Windows from installing a newer version. So configure windows to prevent it from updating drivers via windows update. So it has been mentioned to disable any anti-virus programs before installing AMD Drivers.

5) If the new AMD drivers installs and works correctly, delete again the C: \ AMD folder from the root directory. To save space on the HDD.

6) Enable both the Internet and Anti-Virus program (if applicable).

7) Go back to Device Manager and check your GPU card driver is working and identified correctly.

The first thing you need to do first is to get rid of the Yellow Exclamation marks on your laptop's Display adapters. Both of them. Later on we can try and find out why OpenGL doesn't work.

0 Likes

I followed the procedure and got to the point where I was on MS Basic Display Adapter.

Installed the AMD drivers. On reboot both of the display adapters still had Yellow Exclamation Marks.

0 Likes

Official HP statement on Switchable Graphics and Open GL Fun... - HP Support Forum - 766285

When configuring Dynamic Switchable Graphics in the Catalyst Control Center, the notebook does not permit any OpenGL applications to be associated with the Discrete (dGPU) or high-performance GPU. OpenGL applications work using power-saving or Integrated GPU (iGPU) but performance levels are lower than expected.

OpenGL is not supported on the Discrete GPU when using the Dynamic Switchable Graphics feature. To enable discreet GPU support for OpenGL applications, enable Fixed Mode Switchable Graphics in the BIOS.

0 Likes

On laptops with switchable graphics, OGL applications will use the integrated graphics by default. To use the discrete graphics for these applications, go into the bios and change the "primary" graphics/display to the PCIE (discrete) graphics. This could be listed as ' fixed' mode...different than the default 'switchable' or 'dynamic' mode.

I can't see any options in the BIOS settings to do with anything display related.

0 Likes

Something like this:

0 Likes

There is no such option in the BIOS.

0 Likes

I've reinstalled the BIOS from the HP web site. Still no graphics related option.

I've gone through and removed the AMD drivers again, such that I was back to the basic windows drivers.

Then I've installed the graphics drivers from the HP web site. The device drivers are now reporting that they're okay and OpenGL is working.

Many thanks to everyone who has helped me to get this far.

Now I just need to figure out how to keep the system from replacing these drivers with updated ones.

0 Likes

If you have Windows 10 Pro installed and not Home version, you can use Group Policy to disable Windows Update from installing Drivers on your laptop.

This website instructs you on three ways to disable Windows 10 from updating Drivers including using Group Policy (best method, IMO): https://www.itechtics.com/disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows/

You could also be trying to install the wrong driver. You have a APU. The only driver you install is this one. It supports the integrated and discrete graphics..Laptop graphics update...How to

0 Likes

Followed this and it downloaded the same driver file I was already trying to use.

0 Likes