cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya Discussions

shrisha
Adept II

no sharp shadows with sun&sky or directional light.

Hello,

Just downloaded and tried prorender 2.4 for Maya 2018 and so far I quite like it. There is few thing that I don't understand and can't find any info regarding it.

First when you just create sun&sky in very simple scene like just plane and cube or sphere or whatever to simulate outdoor lighting it is coming out very dark. Then even if you increasing intensity scene start lighting up but  there is no sharp shadows how it is suppose to be with a sun light. Okay. I deleted sun&sky and create directional light and again there is no sharp shadows. Could someone explain me what I'm doing wrong? I can upload scene if it's necessary. But it is pretty straight forward, new scene, few objects, create sun&sky, position camera, hit render.

Thank you.

0 Likes
23 Replies
rprforyou
Adept I

Hi shrisha,

thank you for the message.

1. Sun and Sky system of the plugin is under construction and supposed to be improved in the near future.

2. A softness of the native Maya's directional light will be adjusted to provide sharp shadows by default.

3. As a temporary workaround you could use Radeon ProRender's Physical Light (plugin's native light type). It provides an extended set of parameters for fine-grain tuning.

rpr.direct.light.png

0 Likes

Oh! I see. Ok, thank you. What about portals? This is also not implemented yet?

0 Likes

It will be implemented in the next release.  Portals info is in the guide:  Radeon ProRender for Maya User Guide

0 Likes

Ok, thank you.

Yes that's why I'm asking about portals after reading the user guide. There is no dropdown menu in Sky attributes panel to apply plane as portal.

Clipboard01.jpg

0 Likes

That's what confused me in a first place. Why all this features is in user guide for 2.4? If this is not implemented yet.

When is next version scheduled for release? I really like the ProRender and just surprised to see not much activity here.

Was playing around yesterday with materials, just to see how they are. And I'm happy and want to  use ProRender more often.

cubes2.jpg

Thank you.

0 Likes

Looks great!
New material library will follow soon, btw.

0 Likes

Thank you!

Any time frame for the next build, or can I do the beta testing?

0 Likes

A new release will be issued in a week

0 Likes

Great! Waiting impatiently!

Can I report a bugs what I facing periodically?

First is if I use IPR with Pro Render it's quite often crashing Maya.

Second, the material library is glitching if Maya interface scaled more then 100%. I use Maya at 200% since I have huge 4K monitor and when I open material library the line of shaders is not braking at the end. So I can't see all of them. Also when I trying to adjust info or categories panel they start jumping all over the window.

Here is screenshot of 100% scaling, so how it should be.

Screenshot_1.jpg

and here is how it's look at 200%

Screenshot_2.jpg

Try to change Maya interface to 200% and try to adjust categories or info panel to see what I'm talking about.

Thank you. Hope you already aware of it and it will be fixed in a next build.

0 Likes

Ok, I just checked bug report guide and have to add some info.

Windows 10 x64

Maya 2018

ProRender 2.4

Ryzen 2700

Nvidia GTX 1070

Please let me know if anything else I have to add.

0 Likes

Hi shrisha, thank you for reports. You definitely should share issues with the community. It'll help to make software better.

One hint, please don't combine issues in one thread, create separate ones.

0 Likes

OK, Thank you.

Should I make two more threads for this two issues? Or they already noted by devs?

0 Likes

Hi shrisha, that's ok for now. IPR crash is a bit hard to reproduce, additional info would be helpful.

0 Likes

You are right I just figured that all Maya IPR crashes was related to Sun&Sky system, when I was trying to adjust intensity and etc. Was playing around with  IBL and didn't get even one crash. Since it's related to Sun&Sky you probably aware of it. But I notes-ed another thing with area light please check link below.

MEGA

I don't know to me it looks like wrong IPR behavior. Moving around area light shadows wasn't updated by IPR properly. Or may be ProRenders area light acts differently out of my expectation.

0 Likes

Hello,

Did you manage to reproduce area light IBL thing? Also was wondering about next build if there is possibility to release it for Maya 2018 for linux?

Thank you.

0 Likes

Just to get your attention 

I tried use direct light as sunlight.

200.jpg

Hi shrisha, yeah, this is a workaround. Sun&Sky and IBL stuff are in progress. Not sure about Linux build but there is one for osx.

0 Likes

Hi,

Sorry to bother. Any news on next release?

0 Likes

Hello. A new release should have been issued. Sun and Sky is still under construction though...

0 Likes

Any new renders with RPR?

0 Likes

Oh! Great! Is it on official download page? There is still 2.4

0 Likes

Ok, I installed latest build. 2.4.199 from August 31st.

teapotrpr1.jpg

Sadly material browser window scaling not fixed yet .

Also can't manage normal and displacement maps works with a RPR pbr material. Here, in this render applied to the floor.

Screenshot_3.jpg

What am I doing wrong? With simple RPR material it's working fine though.

Thank you.

0 Likes

Normal maps have to go through a normal map node.

Displacements might not work with PBR, you have to use the Uber shader instead.

0 Likes