Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

joe7770
Adept I

gpu freeze on every game after 20-40 seconds

Hi,

I got a new build , ASUS H370 Tuf Pro Gaming wifi, mother board, 16 GB ram. Clean install windows 10 and install all drivers.

I have card ASUS hd-7770-2gb GHz edition. It was working fine on my previous  intel core2dou with win 7. I installed it in my new pc. ASUS website do not have driver for this card for win 10. SO I downloaded latest drivers from amd website and installed. Desktop works fine but if I start any game it started and works fine for  20-40 seconds then game freezes. Desktop still worked. I can terminate the game from Taskmanger. I also run Furmark but same thing happened that it freezes after few seconds. I have tried few old versions of amd drivers 15,x , 17,x 18.x but same problem in every driver. Windows is updated and have latest updates and patches.

GPU temp remains under 60-65 Centigrade during this time when it crashes.

Please help if anyone know how to solve it.

0 Likes
1 Solution

elstaci​ Thanks for the help. My issue is resolved. It turns out that it was not a software issue. Just some loose connections.

With your suggested tool OCCT I found that 12 v goes to 11.6 and some times upto 11.4 when game start. MY PSU is corsair vs550 and it was working fine with my previous rig.

Either it was bad CPU or some loose connections. I removed the card from PCI connector, clean its contacts with a soft cloth and put it back, Reconnect the power connector to card. Now t worked perfectly. 12 v line still goes below upto 11.7 but it remains steady at this point .

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies

What is the Make & Model of your PSU?

Download this free diagnostic program called OCCT. : Download

First run the GPU Test in Full Screen with the "Errors" Box checked. See if the test causes your computer to freeze. If it does stop the test (task manager or Esc) and go to Documents folder. There you will see a folder created by OCCT called OCCT. Look inside and check the Graphics to see if you see anything strange in its data. (low voltages, high temperatures. etc)

Then run the PSU Test and see if it does the same thing. If it test starts, keep a close eye on it while testing. Check the PSU Outputs 3.3 vdc, 5.0 vdc and especially the 12 vdc outputs. Make sure they are all within tolerances while the test is running.

If it crashes when the test starts. Then go to the folder in Documents and see what may have cause the crash. (power, temperature, etc).

If the PSU Test starts and immediately the computer shuts down, it may indicate a bad or failing PSU.

This is just to eliminate hardware issues.

Try installing the latest AMD driver : AMD Radeon™ HD 7770 GHz Edition Drivers & Support | AMD

By using this basic procedure:

install AMD driver:

1) Download the correct AMD Full Set of drivers from AMD Support. Make sure your Windows is fully updated via Windows Update. Windows Must be fully updated because the latest AMD Drivers requires all the latest "Optional" and "Recommended" updates to be installed.

2) Use Windows Uninstall to uninstall current AMD driver and software and disconnect the internet from your computer. Then use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from Wagnardsoft  Forum in Safe Mode. This will eliminate all traces of the AMD driver and software from your computer.

Delete C: \ AMD folder from the Root Directory. Reboot

3) Go to Device Manager and click "Display Adapter" and make sure you are on the MS Basic Display Adapter. If not, uninstall the AMD driver using Properties.

4) Try reinstalling the AMD FULL SET OF DRIVERS that you have downloaded manually. Make sure you disable the Internet to prevent Windows from installing a newer version. So configure windows to prevent it from updating drivers via windows update. So it has been mentioned to disable any anti-virus programs before installing AMD Drivers.

5) If the new AMD drivers installs and works correctly, delete again the C: \ AMD folder from the root directory. To save space on the HDD.

6) Enable both the Internet and Anti-Virus program (if applicable).

elstaci​ Thanks for the help. My issue is resolved. It turns out that it was not a software issue. Just some loose connections.

With your suggested tool OCCT I found that 12 v goes to 11.6 and some times upto 11.4 when game start. MY PSU is corsair vs550 and it was working fine with my previous rig.

Either it was bad CPU or some loose connections. I removed the card from PCI connector, clean its contacts with a soft cloth and put it back, Reconnect the power connector to card. Now t worked perfectly. 12 v line still goes below upto 11.7 but it remains steady at this point .

0 Likes

11.4 VDC is still within tolerance so it should be okay. If it goes below 11.0 VDC and you start having problems under full loads than the PSU may need to be replaced.

Best way is to check with a Multi meter on one of the 4 pin Molex connectors while the computer is under heavy load (game playing as example) If it verifies you have less than 11.0 vdc than you need to replace the PSU.

Do me a favor. Unmark my comment from "Correct" and mark your last comment as "Correct" so people will know the real reason how you were able to fix your problem since it wasn't software related.

First, Thanks for changing the "Correct" to the proper comment.

Second, you PSU voltages is still within the 5% tolerance (11.4 VDC). If you notice the 12 VDC goes below 11 VDC may indicate your PSU is failing to supply the proper voltage under stress and may need to be replaced.

Otherwise it is working fine by your voltages.

0 Likes