cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

proxyx99
Adept I

Crashing video driver Ryzen 5 2500U Vega 8 HP x360 laptop

This ia a brand new laptop: HP ENVY x360 15.6" 2-in-1 Laptop - Silver (AMD Ryzen 5 2500U/1TB HDD/8GB RAM/Windows 10) purchased 2 weeks ago at BestBuy.

More Information (BestBuy page)

• 2GHz AMD Ryzen 5 2500U quad-core processor and 8GB RAM deliver solid and reliable performance for everyday computing and smooth multitasking
  • 1TB hard drive provides tons of storage space for your most important files, photos, music tracks, videos, and more
  • 15.6-inch IPS micro-edge WLED-backlit edge-to-edge glass display with 1920 x 1080 resolution is multitouch-enabled allowing you to create and compose with a stylus pen
  • AMD Radeon Vega graphics ensures optimal performance for all your gaming marathons

details:

HP ENVY x360 - 15-bq108ca - HP Store Canada

Well, truth is its performance is everything but solid and reliable. Forget optimal performance as well. From day 1 video driver is nothing but trouble. This is my 4th laptop (3 exchanges) all for display and video related issues. Original video driver crashed continuously on all 4. Disappearing desktop, auto changes in resolution, flicker, black and white screens, random reboots.

Driver package is marked 17.7 in Radeon Panel. Driver versions are 22.19.655.0 Oct 5. HP website lists a (newer?) video driver 22.19.655.2 Rev.A dated also Oct. 5. Updated driver from MS (via Win10 update) is 22.19.655.1 dated Oct. 9 (!?). Which one is the latest??? The one with the latest date or higher numericals?

Anyway, I tried them all. All equally unstable, all displaying the same erratic behavior, all having video playback issues (YouTube and local) with pixelation (pink and green), freezing, stuttering, rebooting... I've had them all. Updated to latest BIOS v.13. No change. Uninstalled drivers in normal way as well as using AMD cleanup utilities... no change. All 4 laptops factory installed drivers and all crashing for the very same reason and in exactly same scenarios. Performed full HP recovery on one to start totally fresh, factory setup again, noting gets better.

All video related stuff, YouTube behave the same... or rather misbehave in every imaginable way. Never had a comparable piece of junk software (read: video driver) in my hands before. This is totally unpredictable. Blows up any moment. Original driver 655.0 showed also terrible banding. 655.1 improves on that that but video playback and stability is no better.

I'm wondering what AMD is going to do to fix this problem. Laptops are out there, sold and waiting for any sign of support. But there's nothing coming so far…

How is this possible that new freshly release CPU and chipset has so many problems, yet no effort has been made, no announcement of any kind of upcoming fixes?

Are we supposed to cook our own drivers...? Complaints on HP support forum result in HP sending to AMD... Where will AMD send me now, back to HP?

106 Replies
shabbo
Adept I

New problem. Enable virtual super resolution 5K on an external display, then try to play an x

HC265 encoded video on VLC. BSOD

0 Likes

CONFIRMED WORKING METHOD

Download the following files:

Step 1: Scrub AMD drivers from system

• Boot into Safe Mode
  • Run DDU v17.0.9.1.exe
  • Follow "recommended" prompts
  • Restart PC

Step 2: Install AMD Chipset Drivers

• Install and run amd-chipset-drivers18.10.c.0601.exe file
  • Follow prompts to clean install
  • Restart PC

Step 3: Install Graphics Driver

• Install and run win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.7.1-july19.exe file
  • Follow prompts for express install (If you get 182 Error, that's fine. Continue with next steps)
  • Open Device Manager
  • Go to Display adapters -> Microsoft Display Adapter (AMD RadeonTM) Vega 8 Graphics, whichever shows)
  • Right click -> Update Driver -> Browse computer for driver software
  • Click "Let me pick from a list of available..."
  • Click Have Disk..
  • Open C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-18.7.1-July19\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\CO331246.inf file
  • Scroll down large list to AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics, and click Next
  • Install driver and Reboot

Step 4: Install Radeon Adrenalin Edition Settings

• Open Windows Explorer
  • Navigate to C:\AMD\.. folder
  • Search "ccc2_install" and click on found exe file
  • Follow prompts to complete install.
  • Done (Restart Optional)

This Resolves..

• Discoloration while playing back footage. (Adobe Premiere Pro)
  • GPU Acceleration Enabled Successfully (All Adobe CS Apps)
  • Windows crashes with video playback after waking from Sleep State (Windows 10)
  • "Application blocked from accessing hardware" bug (Windows 10)

Final Cleanup

Now that everything is stable, another Windows Update may try and rollback all the hard work you've just completed. You'll need to turn that off.

• Go to Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> System
  • Click on Advanced System Settings
  • Under Hardware Tab, click Device Installation Settings
  • Change Automatic Installation Settings to No
  • Save Changes

From this point on, you will be solely responsible for any Hardware Driver related downloads. I'd recommend a software, like DevID, to accomplish this in the future.

Just followed these steps it worked GREAT!  I'm running 18.9.3 as that was their last stable release until Adrenalin 2019, everything in between was beta drivers.

One question for you or anyone else viewing, regarding the final cleanup step.  In your experience has Windows actually done that?  I ask because I hate to turn it off as this is mostly my wifes laptop so the less I have to maintain it the better.

0 Likes

Final Cleanup

Now that everything is stable, another Windows Update may try and rollback all the hard work you've just completed. You'll need to turn that off.

• Go to Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> System
  • Click on Advanced System Settings
  • Under Hardware Tab, click Device Installation Settings
  • Change Automatic Installation Settings to No
  • Save Changes

From this point on, you will be solely responsible for any Hardware Driver related downloads. I'd recommend a software, like DevID, to accomplish this in the future.

Guess what Windows update did to me this morning despite setting this.  I  then reloaded the driver, rebooted, and update immediately overwrote it.  Once update completed I did it again and it stuck, but I'd imagine upon the next update release it will do the same.  UGH

AMD does not yet have Adrenalin posted that works with all laptops despite announcing it.

0 Likes
gsoul5005
Adept I

Guys.. Everyone can go here and share your product experience -> Executive Team: CEO email | HP® Official Site

1. GPU Driver not being updated.
2. No BIOS update with AMD newer Agesa code.

Envy x360 Ryzen 2500U 2017 version is being neglected, updates are now only for Envy x360 Ryzen 2018 version only.
BIOS needs user selectable GPU memory upto 2GB as some apps refuse to run.

Dell Ryzen laptop have Configurable cTDP and advanced menu enabled, HP should do the same. If they are worried about users damaging laptop with advanced features accessible in BIOS. They can have an option/switch or warning that enabling the advanced menu in BIOS with void warranty.

0 Likes
kata995
Adept I

After a Windows update I get crashes again...I´m losing my patience with HP

0 Likes
hazonfire
Journeyman III

I spoke with HP service center who first remotely reinstalled the BIOS and updated drivers but it didn't take away the problem and they asked to send the device to the service center which - which I did. Came back formatted but with the same problem Will follow up with them on another call or I am selling this garbage - my warranty ends in 2 months.

0 Likes
pricerc
Journeyman III

So there's a new driver in the Windows Update catalog that has not crashed on me in days:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Vega%208%201803

There's a driver dated 30 August 2018, targeted at Windows 10 1803 and later, V 23.20.826.8704 which includes a Vega 8 Mobile driver. Although curiously, it detects the 'Vega 8' as compatible, not the 'Vega 8 Mobile'. I loaded the Vega 8 Mobile, and have had no crashes or screen flickering (which I had with the Adrenaline drivers).

There a thread over @ HP that discusses the same topic: Windows will not boot when Virtual Technology enabled - HP Support Forum - 6495110

0 Likes

When I try to unpack I get some errors from 7Zip. Installed but unfortunately I still get crashes..

0 Likes

If it unpacked with errors it might suggest you have a corrupted installation file. Your download could have been corrupted.

EDIT: Just downloaded the MS .CAB from previous link and right clicked my mouse and used 7Zip to unpack it without any errors.

0 Likes
tullerrin
Journeyman III

Had the same problem on a HP-17z-ca000. After the first crash I opened the Radeon Settings and noticed the update button was not in it's usual place at the bottom left of the home tab. After taking a flyer on clean installing the 18.9.3 drivers (had to try), I hit a point where 18.9.3 was partially installed but not fully (error during install), but wouldn't allow overwriting by the hp 17.7 drivers direct from hp, and windows was loading the basic display drivers and not recognizing the hardware. Ran the AMD driver uninstaller and removed all amd drivers, still wouldn't install the 17.7, didn't recognize the hardware. Re-installed Windows so it would load the drivers from the recovery media, and now 17.7 works as it should with no crashing or flickering. Did have a looooong black screen time on first login (about 5 minutes), and radeon settings took some time to load up the first time, but since everything runs fine and the update button is back in it's usual spot. Only thing still not right is world of warcraft not noticing it's direct x 12 compliant, but i'm guessing that's on blizzard's end. So, if you have a new laptop with 17.7 driver issues, or one you don't mind trashing the files on, try using the amd uninstaller and re-installing windows from the recovery pane on boot up (hit f11 repeatedly as soon as you start the laptop).

0 Likes
rami93
Journeyman III

A couple of days ago HP has released the F.19 BIOS update, which also updates the AGESA version to 1.1.0.5, and changes the dedicated video memory allocation to 1gb instead of the 256mb the old bioses allocated. I managed also to install the latest Andrenalin 18.9.3 that was crashing before this BIOS update.

0 Likes

Great news, will try tonight and post results. Thanks for sharing.

0 Likes

This is good news. With the new BIOS, suspend seems to work now as expected.  I will keep an eye on this, but as far as I can tell, no random freezes either.

0 Likes

I have updated the bios, and it is all stable so far.  Even the brightness adjuster works after waking from sleep (a rarity).   Tested with CS:GO, very smooth so far.  Tested with Metal Gear: Phantom Pain, medium settings at 1080p, surprisingly playable and smooth.  Will post numbers when I have time.  I'm just happy to play 1080p now on the laptop.

0 Likes
marianof
Adept I

Updated to BIOS F.19, force installed 18.10.1 display driver via device manager. Tested youtube in firefox, netflix app, and rise of the tomb raider benchmark. Works beautifully, this is great.

0 Likes
rogueleader
Adept I

FINALLY AMD has addressed this.

AMD Launches 3000-series Picasso APUs, new H-Series and A-Series Processors

The important part:

AMD also addressed recent customer complaints about drivers for existing Ryzen Mobile parts, which currently only come from OEMs. Now all Radeon software updates apply to all Ryzen Mobile Laptops, even the previous-gen Ryzen models. That should allow customers to get their bugfixes and day-zero game drivers directly from AMD as they are released.

Haven't tested it yet, but its promising.

0 Likes
proxyx99
Adept I

F19 BIOS from HP proved to be the last nail in the coffin for many, in that number me.

Unending crashes, white screen of death.

May be okay for those who spend more time fixing than using their laptop.

It's either the display driver, or BIOS, or back to display driver... and so on.

What a piece of junk Ryzen has proven to be, for me or others on AMD and HP forums.

This is not what I envisioned buying Ryzen laptop. No drivers, BIOS issues, zero support... some call it neglect, lol. Want to know the right word for it?

Massive, historic f#÷k up, by AMD and HP. No more Ryzen or HP for me. Didn't buy it to have something to fix. I'd like to be able to use it someday...

0 Likes
carl1986
Journeyman III

Hi, I have solution for problems with yours HP Envy X360, Amd Ryzen 5 2500u and BIOS F19.0 look at this link please:

Solution 2019 for HP X360 ENVY WITH RYZEN 5 2500U - YouTube 

0 Likes
maximus_465
Journeyman III

Not sure about the rest of your case, but I experience green screen while watching video streaming full screen on Chrome, and sometimes green glitches on YouTube, or white static with black top and bottom vignette video frame (not full screen). So here's also to get it on the internet because I haven't been able to find this -that turns out to be a very simple answer- anywhere in addition to spending a night and day updating Windows and drivers -.-

So I finally found something via HP Support Assistant, it opened a Virtual Agent chat on my Chrome browser, and turns out the problem already has a preset answer. O.O

pastedImage_1.png

The answer is as simple as:

Disable the hardware acceleration for video in your Web Browser

Disable hardware acceleration (sometimes referred to as GPU rendering) in the browser or video player.

Steps for disabling GPU rendering in Internet Explorer version 9 or later are provided below. To disable hardware acceleration in other browsers, search the Internet for instructions to disable hardware acceleration in Chrome, Firefox, and other browsers.

1. Open Internet Explorer.

2. Open the Tools menu and select Internet Options.

3. On the Advanced tab, click Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering, and then click OK.

Figure 1: Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering in Internet Explorer

1. Restart Internet Explorer to apply the change.

Green screen no more.

0 Likes

After almost 4 months of back and forth calls, repairs etc. HP decided to

buy back my device and I will receive a full refund. I could not handle

that pixelated screen.

0 Likes
jamduv
Adept I

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! 

AMD finally released a driver download that actually recognizes our 2500U chips and it actually installs WITHOUT ANY FORCE INSTALLS TO BE DONE!

Yes, it now install like a regular install. 

Enjoy!

Woohoo!

pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes

Thank you!!

0 Likes

It works !!! Amazing ... thanks AMD after 2 years we have finally working

and up to date drivers ....

0 Likes
marianof
Adept I

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

No issues. Now waiting for an updated AGESA BIOS from HP.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Please try using the 19.3.1 Adrenalin driver which has support for your graphics card. 

AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500U Drivers & Support | AMD 

0 Likes