spacedrone808
Adept II

Anyone tried 2990WX with Windows 7 x64?

Just want to know

0 Likes
11 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

spacedrone808, not that I know of and ONLY W10 is officially supported by AMD, so I strongly recommend against it.  If you are willing to fight all the dragons, it may well work.  Several have gotten 1950X to work on W7.  Be sure to ask your MB vendor.  Enjoy, John.

Thanks, but i am interested in real life experience, not just theoretical stuff.

Currently using Ryzen 7 1700X with windows 7 x64 without any hassles, in spite of official not supported status.

0 Likes

Real life--Win10x64 is way, way better than Win7x64.  Surprised anyone is still using it these days--slow and clunky--ugh...;)  But to each his own, etc.

0 Likes

Way better? Win7 Slow? On my 'puter it is a rocket thingie.

Win10:

More security holes comparing to Win7 [check bulletin board].

Privacy dangerous [Not all telemetry can be turned off].

Full of bugs, but situation is better than in 2015.

More than 2/3 services you are running is not needed, waste of ram.

Atrocious interface with to separate control panels.

I can continue.But enough of off-topic.

0 Likes

Windows 7 used to be a rocket ship on my PC but not any more .

It runs pretty slow now on my @ Opteron 185 2.6GHz 4GB DDR400 RAM

0 Likes

Suggest you to turn off unneeded services and rip off bloat.

Add 4gb ram stick. These should fix the problem.

0 Likes

I couldn't add more RAM because my board was from 2006.  Max RAM was 4GB. 

But I managed to tweet the memory timing settings a bit (2.5,3,3,7) and got the system running back up to performance again.

Then stuck a Geforce GTX 980Ti in it together with a Radeon HD8490, and the system is going along quite fine.

0 Likes

No, Threadripper requires Windows 10 or Linux (ideally Linux). If you're talking security, Microsoft blocks updates for Ryzen and Kaby Lake and newer processors on Windows 7, and since it only has 15 months to live, you're going to need to use Windows 10 eventually anyway.

0 Likes

Wrong. Guys on Hardforum already reported that 1950X is fully compatible with Win7.

0 Likes

spacedrone808, I strongly recommend you give it a try!  As long you are aware that even if it works, W7 does not have a scheduler for Ryzen architecture and other short comings pointed out here.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
spacedrone808
Adept II

Confirming that 1950x/x399m is working fine in Windows 7 x64.

If some one interested I have solution.

0 Likes