Vega 64 Black screen on boot after CPU overclock

My Parts list:

i5 4690k

ASROCK z97 Extreme 3

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 2x4

Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 (non le)

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 120-G2-1000-XR 80+ GOLD 1000W

My Problem:

Recently Purchased the vega 64 for my build. And everything was going great and running smoothly. Undervolted nicely, handled everything I had thrown at it. But yesterday I was going to overclock my CPU, and after going with a modest overclock (4.2ghz @ 1.2 volts) my pc booted up, but then froze and went to a black screen. I shut down the pc manually via the power button, but when I went to turn it on again, it would only show that there was no signal detected on my monitor.

After doing some quick research I thought it might be a problem with a bios setting or with the overclock, so I unplugged everything, opened up my case and reset the CMOS by removing the battery for an hour. After plugging it in though hover, it still have me the same message, nothing but a black screen. After playing around I've figured out that:

* It WILL turn on and boot if I plug in an HDMI into the motherboard and use the onboard graphics.

* The GPU LEDs and fans still come on and spin and normal speed.

* The GPU Does not even show up in device manager at all when plugged in and connected, but am using onboard to see.

* Re-seating the GPU into a different PCIe slot did not work.

* Plugging in an old GPU (280x) boots normally.

* Re-seating the RAM did not help

* Using HDMI instead of DisplayPort did not help

I am completely lost at this point. I don't think my GPU is dead because it was performing perfectly, slightly above average even, for about a week now. Is it possible my Motherboard is having problems and is on its way out? It is an older board and VEGA is new so maybe a compatibility issue that is starting to show? Or others have said maybe the PSU is not supplying enough power and is failing since vega is rated for a base 750w, and the 280x is much less (about 500w). OR is god forbid, my GPU dying/dead somehow? How would this happen from overclocking my CPU? This is whats making me think it is my MB, CPU, or PSU causing the problems rather than my GPU.

Any and all help is appreciated.

TL;DR: After doing a modest overclock on my i5 4690k, my vega 64 has stopped displaying on monitor, even after cmos reset and other troubleshooting steps. I believe it may be my motherboard, cpu, or PSU.

0 Likes
0 Replies