cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

wettis
Journeyman III

R9 fury unstable with latest drivers

Hi! Since I updated my drivers last week I've been experiencing frequent crashes on startup and while browsing the internet.

Ever since I built the computer about half a year ago I've been getting short freezes and the screen sometimes going black for a few seconds and then recovering. This has been occuring only when browsing the internet (especially video pages I think) and steam. While playing games everything has been running smoothly.

The crashing started when I updated to 1.8.8.1. Going to 1.8.8.2 a few days ago has not made any difference. The most frequent crash is right when logging into windows, after that it happens seemingly at random while browsing, maybe every two hours or so. Games still run fine (I've been playing starcraft 2 and sniper elite 4).

I run windows 10 pro (version 10.0.17134 build 17134)

Processor: i5-8400

Motherboard: ASRock z370 m-itx/ac

16 gb ram

graphics card is the ASUS strix r9 fury 4 gb and the display is an acer xf240h running at 144hz via display port.

Everything is updated to the latest drivers, everything is stock, no overclocking or other tinkering. Any ideas as to what is causing this and what I might do to fix it (or is the driver simply bugged)? Any other information I could provide that might help?

0 Likes
2 Replies
shadowflare
Journeyman III

Im using the R9 390 and im kinda having same problem as you(random black screens).Im 100% sure that are the drivers doing this and at this point we can only wait.

0 Likes

Downgrading to 1.8.5.1 seems to have stabilized things. Still very disappointing that a driver upgrade could be so crash prone.

0 Likes