cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ddmeltzer8
Adept I

good board for Ryzen 2700x???

Hello! (I hope this is the right place for this question)

This is my first posting on this forum so be nice!

I am planning to upgrade from an i5-7500/PRIME b-250 plus/2x8gb ddr4 2133mhz(cl14) to R7-2700x and a mobo in the low-mid range.I'm not planning to oc.I dont need there to be wifi,I already have a pci card.I need at least one slot for M.2 and 6 for sata.And I dont care about rgb/looks.

I also wonder about RAM,as I would prefer using what I already have.But it would also be nice to have the opportunity to upgrade ina year or two.I'm planning to use this new setup for several years.I will be using it for gaming mostly.I am running a gtx 1070ti and a bunch of samsung 850 evo's.

I also have a Fractal Celsius S24 240mm liquid cooler and all this is built in a Fractal Define C.My monitor is 1440 res.

Please let me know yr thoughts.Nothing is set in stone for me and I have money for whatever I need but I'm not spending more than necessary.I know I could get a better gaming CPU in the 8700K but since AMD finally has a contender of sorts,I will support everything non-monopolistic.Tell me if theres anything else I can answer!

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
11 Replies

The problem with requiring 6 SATA ports is you will lose SATA ports on most boards when you use an M.2 drive. Your best cost efficient option would be the ASRock AB350 Pro4 AM4 AMD Promontory that I can see, https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157761&ignorebbr=1 you can use one M.2 drive and only lose the lower PCIe x4 slot while retaining all 6 SATA.

As far as RAM goes, you really need to use DDR4-3200 or faster due to the way Ryzen works, and can result in several percentage points of difference compared to DDR4-2x00.

0 Likes

Thanks for the response!

I can do with 6 sata + 1 m.2.Its not nvme.Do y by any chance know if an nvme m.2 drive uses more pcie than x4?

Would that board be able to fully utilize the 2700x?I dont mind spending whatever money I need to rule out any bottlenecks,no matter how small.

Would I gain much by getting 3466 or even 3600 ram?

Thanks,again.

0 Likes

No M.2 NVMe drive uses more than PCIe x4. See below for a summary of the chipset features, though how the manufacturer configures their board you can lose different features. Honestly, if I were you, I would go high end with the ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119097 Yes I know you said you didn't want a board with all the bells and whistles, but there are advantages to it. You don't sacrifice anything, you get a backup WiFi card just in case yours fails, you get the ability to squeeze every last megahertz out of your 2700X that you can if you choose, you get the ability to do P-state overclocking so you retain the energy savings features while not gaming or using intensive programs, you get additional hardware on the board for more stable power delivery, you get BIOS updates sooner (and usually more frequently) than lower end models, and, one of the most important things, the resale value is much higher. Yes there is a $200 difference between the two, but it's worth weighing the cost against the pros.

On a side note, what are your 6 SATA SSDs?

0 Likes

What y say makes sense...I need to make a decision,though.

I have an Intel 540,480gb m.2,

a samsung 850 evo 1tb,

2 samsung 850 evo 250gb,

and a samsung 860 evo 500gb.I know thats just 4 but future proofing.

Thanks for yr input.

0 Likes

Flash is crashing, and a 1TB Samsung 860 Evo can be had for $177 http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76E1T0B-AM/dp/B078DPCY3T/ref=dp_ob_title_ce wouldn't be a bad idea to replace your 2 250GB and 1 500GB with a single faster and higher endurance 1TB, sell those lower capacity drives while you can still get some money for them (SECURE ERASE them first), and use Windows 10's capabilities to tie both 1TB Evo drives together into a soft RAID0, much easier than dealing with hardware based RAID since your OS is on an NVMe. It's what I did. The future is NVMe, so with a long lived socket like AM4, which will be used through at least 2020, having multiple M.2 slots and PCIe capabilities is where it's at.

0 Likes

My m.2 isnt nvme and I run win10 from a 250gb samsung.

Is there a reason for selling and getting new drives?Also,what is the gain

by raid0?Is it really necessary?I dont want to complicate things if theres

a way around it.

I also have a 1,5 tb hdd and a 120 gb ssd but none of them r in my rig now.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Higher capacity drives have higher speeds and endurance. RAID0 also increases speed.

0 Likes

Oh,I didnt know.What could I expect by going from 250gb drives to 1 tb

drives in %?

Thanks,again.

0 Likes

0 Likes

Thanks but what am I looking for?

0 Likes

Higher capacity drives feature more RAM and a larger write cache, meaning you can write more to the drives before the speed plummets, and the endurance is much higher meaning it has a longer lifespan. Random read and write performance also increases on larger capacity drives as they have more flash chips to work with.

0 Likes