cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

azzkickr
Journeyman III

Vega compatibility on X58/Z68 under Win10 ! Pleeeease help AMD !

Dear AMD, community,

It is widely known in the community by this time that the Vega cards have driver issues when used under Windows 10 on an older platform like X58 or Z68, specifically (but not limited to) Gigabyte brand boards.
I too suffer from it as my recently purchased Vega64 will not install on my Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 under Windows 10. This forced me to downgrade my OS to Windows 7/8 and thus no longer have DX12 functionality.

The driver install (no matter which version) will always result in a BSOD. It doesn't matter what card it is, it doesn't matter what Windows 10 version it is, it doesn't matter if it's a clean install or not, those have all been ruled out by the community. So far there is only one success story of a Vega card on an X58 platform under Win10 and that's on an Asus Sabretooth motherboard. But since it's only one it can be considered as unconfirmed still..

I already filed an official support ticket but it was closed rather quickly.

The community (and me in particular) are really desperate. I understand there is only a really small user base for this specific combination, but as loyal AMD fans we kinda hope it would get sorted still somehow

If only you are able to take a brief look at it; install a Vega card on an X58 or Z68 board under Windows 10 to reproduce the issue for root cause analysis, that would mean so much.

Thank you.

A fan.

0 Likes
2 Replies

You are directing your question to the wrong company. Intel is who you should be talking to...won't do you any good though, as they make it clear the motherboard does not meet the requirements for Win10 and haven't supported it in years. I have the DX58SO and am completely happy with Win7.

0 Likes

Thanks for your reply kingfish. Any attention to the issue is welcomed.
I don't fully agree with you though. My X58 board ran absolutely fine under Win10 when I still had my R9 390. The Windows 10 compatibility checker reports 100% OK. Having official active support and being compatible are separate things in my opinion.

I could downgrade even further towards an older chipset, in which the Vega runs fine again under Win10, but that's just silly.

I do recognize the fact that the X58/Z68/.. platforms really are old and running one of the world's most powerful GPU's in such would seem odd. However, as most tech-Tubers are agreeing with, is that these are still very powerful and offer an insane performance to cost ratio, hence the user base still.

I could do, like many others have done in this situation, switch to the competitor's side where all is fine in this regard, but I'm still a too big fan to take that step myself.

0 Likes