Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

avi07
Adept I

My switchable gpu giving very poor performance

I have  recently bought Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42. The specs on the PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx, 2000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Radeon RX 560x

8gb memory

256 gb ssd

Software: Radeon Crimson Relive 17.7

Even with these specs i get poor performance. First I thought my PC could be bad, but then I noticed something.

I played with the Radeon Vega 8 integrated graphics, and got around 20 fps on 1080p, fortnite. Then I forgot that

I had to go to Switchable Graphics and add fortnite on high performance I did that and I still get same results on

the game. I go into task manager to check, how much gpu I was using, and My radeon Vega 8 was around 40%

and my RX 560x was on about 18-20%. My question is how do I make it so get better performance. Because I

know that it's not using full gpu capability. I've tried the following:

Going into nitro sense and enabling cool boost.

Going into nitro sense and check high performance on AC and battery.

Add fortnite on switchable graphics and enabling high performance in radeon settings

Connecting AC adapter when playing

I disabled Vega 8 graphics in device manager and still get same performance on rx 560x

please help me with a solution or give contact number so I can get help.

If you need any additional info please reply and I'll do my best to get to you.

Appreciated anything you can do.

P.S. this a screenshot of my Radeon settings overview

0 Likes
1 Solution
avi07
Adept I

aandrei, I actually found the solution. What I did was I updated my bios. I found the update on my Acer laptop page, Or go to your laptop page and install the bios update. Then carefully follow the steps to update it, and then you can access full gpu performance. I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
aandrei
Journeyman III

I have the exact same issue. No idea what to do and I tried absolutely everything, but nothing helps, plus there are no drivers on the RX 560X page

0 Likes
avi07
Adept I

aandrei, I actually found the solution. What I did was I updated my bios. I found the update on my Acer laptop page, Or go to your laptop page and install the bios update. Then carefully follow the steps to update it, and then you can access full gpu performance. I hope this helps.

0 Likes
aandrei
Journeyman III

Will I need to do anything else after updating the BIOS? I already have all the software and drivers installed

0 Likes

No, but just be careful while updating BIOS. If you are not careful your pc could be damaged.

0 Likes
nixx_aed
Journeyman III

I did something and my fps went from 30-40 to 80-90... Not sure what I did made it go higher but first I changed my power options to high performance. Still nothing happened then I went to my Global Settings in AMD radeon settings found in gaming category. Made some changes on the rx 560x by override application settings on anti anti-aliasing mode and etc. Still on radeon settings, clicked the system category and went to switchable graphics.. I then added my games on the installed profiled applications then set them to high performance. Not sure if this helps 'cause I dont know if this would cause overclocking to the gpu..

0 Likes