cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

slayer071680
Adept II

so....i bought a acer nitro 5 an515-42 laptop and the cpu runs at 100%.

i shut off as many programs as possible. still has issues. so i installed windows on a secondary ssd. so far it doesn't run at 100% but the problem is there is no drivers i can download. the laptop has a ryzen 2500u w/vega 8 gpu and an rx 560x gpu. there is no driver i can find for this combo, let alone for the 560x. i tried dl'ing regular 560 crimson drivers but does not work on my 560x.....so if i boot into ssd that came with laptop, i suffer from the issue of 100% cpu usage on normal simple tasks. if i boot into second windows, i can't get drivers for system.....i am on second os right now. i will have to log into first os and take some screen shots of it constantly running 100%. if i open a browser, it will consume 20 to 30% usage just from that alone. i am not 100% sure, but i think it maybe acers bloat ware. although, there is several windows programs that pop up and hit 50 to 60% usage. i turned off as many windows programs as i could and problem still persists. i also turned off every program that windows uses to spy on you (so that windows wasn't uploading stuff. i thought that might be the cause of usage), also edited regedit and made a change to that so windows would not upload stuff, still peaks....
so my conundrum is this, i bought this laptop for work and to game, i cannot game without proper drivers. so if i boot into second os, i cannot game, if i boot into first os, i can game. just one big hassle. i could simply boot into second os to do work and first to game, but sometimes i run programs and wait for them to complete and while running them i like to game. i cannot do that on first os cause it will peak system and cores maxing out will cause extreme lag.
i ran tests on first ssd, as i thought that might be the cause of cores peaking, but was not that and ssd is brand new and scans came back negative on it having any issues.

0 Likes
7 Replies

You do not 'upgrade' the RX560...you upgrade the APU. One driver supports the integrated as well as the discrete graphics. Laptop graphics update...How to

The Mobility drivers for the Ryzen chips are too new...AMD does not have generic drivers for them. You must get them from the laptop manufacturer....Download Drivers and Manuals | Acer Official Site

there is no drivers for the apu. so in other words, i am kinda screwed until drivers are made? they have drivers for ryzen apu 2400g, but not for my 2500u.....no drivers apu.pngno drivers apu 2.pngsystem info.png

Unfortunately you have to wait ..

0 Likes

forgot too mention, acer doesn't have a download either for drivers for apu.

0 Likes

I figured it out. it was the vga drivers from acer. i'm not used to installing from secondary place. i have several amd systems and always got drivers directly from amd. honestly would not have been able to figure it out with out you. thank you for posting that information.

0 Likes

oh, and @kingfish so far the issue is fixed. pretty sure it was either acers bloatware or something was wrong with the graphics drivers. not sure. i am going to enter first os and reinstall graphics drivers and see if that fixed the problem. if that does not fix it, i am simply going to reinstall windows over the other os, i'll delete and format the ssd and create a clean install. so far, on second ssd, the issue is resolved.

Raven Ridge APU's..(the desktop versions, so I am going to assume Mobility versions as well) are updated on a quarterly basis and all are WHQL. No 'betas'.

AMD will offer 'generic' driver updates...generally after the manufacturer has stopped furnishing them. Most laptop manufacturers forget about you after 2-3 updates.

0 Likes