Thread stuck in device driver

Sys Info:

hp 15 pavilion notebook pc

intel core i3 @2.4 ghz

bios:insyde F.28

Amd radeon hd8670m-2gb

software-adrenaline 18.5.1

win 10 64bit(4 gb ram)

Started as a crash while playing fifa15. Then, after a few days it got to TDR FAILURE and finally after another week, system started the THREAD STUCK IN A DEVICE DRIVER error.

System constantly restarted and failed to start windows. so, did a complete recovery to factory settings but, still the problem persisted.

so ran sfc and dism twice(no violations found)

uninstalled the  amd software from control panel and also from device manager(checking the box)

ran amd uninstall tool and DDU in safe mode

downloaded adrenaline 18.5.1 and started install process and everytime system crashes in the middle of the process

i tried disabling the gpu but laptop gets very hot and enabling it, gives error

need my laptop to study

CAN ANYONE HELP?

0 Likes
12 Replies

You have a laptop..and what processor? APU? Intel? INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

Laptop graphics update...How to

laptop:hp pavilion 15 notebook pc

intel core i3 @2.4 ghz

0 Likes

before starting this discussion, i already went through all of the forum and looking for all the info i can gather

I already installed the intel driver first and then the amd driver(sorry, i didnt mentioned this before)

but for the sake of trying, i did it again. these are the steps i followed

-removed amd software from control panel and device manager(checking the box)

-ran amd uninstall and ddu in safe mode

-deleted the folder c:/AMD

-uninstalled intel graphics software

-ran sfc

-installed intel graphics using intel DSA

-ran sfc

-started installing adrenaline 18.5.1 and in middle of the process, the error started again

i dont understand what i am doing wrong. please tell me if i am doing something wrong

is there anything am i missing?

0 Likes

You must be disconnected from the internet while uninstalling the drivers/installing the drivers. Do not reconnect until it is all completed and you hae rebooted your computer.

DDU has new instructions..make sure you have the latest version

ok , so i turn off wifi till the restart after the installation is complete.will it solve the problem?

and also previously the adrenaline 18.5.1 seems to change the drive name from radeon HD 8670 to radeon HD 8600m series. is that normal?

0 Likes

Yes that is normal. The key word is "series".

so, i tried one more time

did everything as before and also turned off wifi and installation was succesful.

then, after the restart, i turned everything back (wifi and windows update) and the AMD software seem to work but, the amd settings is

missing in the window, which appears after right clicking on desktop.

should i reinstall?

0 Likes

Disable "fast startup". Then reinstall the drivers again.

How to Enable or Disable Fast Startup

Deciding whether to bother with Fast Startup actually takes longer than turning it on or off. First, open up your power options by hitting Windows+X or right-clicking your Start menu and selecting Power Options. In the Power Options window, click “Choose what the power buttons do.”

power options

If this is the first time you’ve messed with these settings, you’ll need click “Change settings that are currently unavailable” to make the Fast Startup option available for configuration.

available options

Scroll to the bottom of the window and you should see “Turn on fast startup (recommended),” along with other shutdown settings. Just use the check box to enable or disable Fast Startup. Save your changes and reboot your system to test it out.

fast startup

If you don’t see the option at all, it means hibernation is not enabled on your machine. In this case, the only shutdown options you’ll see are Sleep and Lock. The quickest way to enable hibernation is to close the power settings window and then hit Windows+X and open Command Prompt (Admin). At the Command Prompt, type the command:

powercfg /hibernate on

After turning hibernate on, run through the steps again and you should see both the Hibernate and Fast Startup options.

At the Command Prompt, use this command to set a reduced size:

powercfg /h /type reduced

Or use this command to set it to full size:

powercfg /h /type full

And that’s it. Don’t be afraid to turn Fast Startup on and experiment with it. Just keep the caveats we mentioned in mind and see whether it works for you. You can always put things back the way you had them.

If you don’t see the option at all, it means hibernation is not enabled on your machine. In this case, the only shutdown options you’ll see are Sleep and Lock. The quickest way to enable hibernation is to close the power settings window and then hit Windows+X and open Command Prompt (Admin). At the Command Prompt, type the command:

powercfg /hibernate on

After turning hibernate on, run through the steps again and you should see both the Hibernate and Fast Startup options.

At the Command Prompt, use this command to set a reduced size:

powercfg /h /type reduced

Or use this command to set it to full size:

powercfg /h /type full

And that’s it. Don’t be afraid to turn Fast Startup on and experiment with it. Just keep the caveats we mentioned in mind and see whether it works for you. You can always put things back the way you had them.

just read your message.will deal with "fast startup" after i am done with this message.

so I reinstalled and this time, I got the amd settings on the right click window.
Everything was running fine, the fans were not making any noise and machine was not heating up.

Then after 20-25 mins, I restarted the machine and it went to the blue screen error but successfully recovered to windows.

Then I went to windows update and saw windows downloading a 2015 version of amd radeon hd 8670 software.

immediately, i tried to stop the download-turned off wifi and restarted(thinking it may stop the download) and

the error came back and this time windows could not recover.

I think windows did not recognize the adrenaline edition(or could be anything else-I DONT KNOW)

This is very frustrating.Why is this so hard?

Thank God, kingfish​ you are helping.

Windows 10 users must prevent/delay Microsoft from automatically installing/changing drivers using one or more methods > https://www.tenforums.com/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7156303416008077%3A205v6qk06j2&cof=FORID%3A9&i...

And disable fast start.

so I did everything as before and this time I also disabled fast startup.

installation was succesful and everything was perfect for 15-20 min and then i got the error while restarting computer. windows update was not turned on.

mostly, I am getting the error while turning on, off or restarting the computer.

0 Likes