cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jeffr
Journeyman III

Cannot install AMD Radeon HD 8970M drivers on Windows 10

After the most recent Windows 10 update, my 8970M has effectively become useless, causing my OS to hang within a few seconds of logging into my Windows 10 account. I've tried to do a clean install of its drivers, but Windows 10 always hangs about half way through the installation, preventing the drivers from being installed correctly, which has forced me to disable the 8970M in device manager. Has anyone else experienced similar problems? If so I'd greatly appreciate some possible solutions.

0 Likes
31 Replies
georges
Challenger

Did you close internet connection during the installation of the driver ?

0 Likes

Hi georges, nope I was connected to the internet during driver installation.

0 Likes

Thx

0 Likes

Need alot more information > INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

0 Likes

Hi kingfish, here are my system specs:

GPU: AMD Radeon HD8970m

CPU: Intel Core i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz)

Laptop model: Clevo P150SM

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

Driver version: tried installing the latest drivers (Adrenalin 18.8.2)

Display devices: Not sure, just a 15.6'' laptop screen

PSU: Not sure, came as part of Clevo P150SM purchase

RAM: 8GB

0 Likes

Did you check for a update from Intel? If there is a update it must be installed first..before the AMD drivers. Use the link here > Laptop graphics update...How to

Also, you must be disconnected from the internet during the whole process. Do not reconnect until you have uninstalled, installed, and rebooted the laptop.

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

DDU has new instructions..make sure you have the latest version

0 Likes

Hi kingfish, I used DDU to perform a clean uninstall of both my onboard Intel HD 4600 and discrete AMD Radeon HD 8970M drivers. I then re-installed the Intel drivers, and once that was complete I tried installing the 8970M drivers. Alas, Windows 10 still hangs during the 8970M driver installation (I also uninstalled my anti-virus just to be sure that it wasn't causing any problems, and also ran the AMD driver installation as an administrator)

0 Likes

It's very important to disconnect from the internet while doing all this. After you have downloaded the AMD driver you want to install there is no need for the internet. Turn it off. Do not turn it on again until you have completed a clean install and rebooted your computer.

0 Likes

I made sure I was not connected to the internet, unfortunately still no joy.

0 Likes
sky36
Journeyman III

Welcome Jeffr,

I use an Alienware 18 it has X2  R9 M290X's....its a rebraded 8970M.... Good luck with this issue! Every time I update my drivers it crashes to a black screen. I have literally tried everything! Im stuck with drivers from 2015.

0 Likes

Hi sky36, what drivers are you currently using? If I could use old drivers that actually worked I'd be happy with that

0 Likes

Hello jeffr ! It's great that you posted here, I found a temporary fix using older drivers. I've tried downloading every driver from April-present.Nothing has worked.

18.3.4 from March 2018 has been the latest driver working on my legacy cards.

On a trial basis I did install drivers from December 2017 before installing 18.3.4

Let me know how it goes

I've downloaded drivers 18.3.4

Videocards - ATI Catalyst Windows 7 | 8 | 10

0 Likes

Legacy Cards? 8970M its not legacy

0 Likes

Thanks for the link to those older drivers sky36. I tried installing the AMD Crimson 16.3 driver, which states that it's compatible with Windows 10 64-bit and the HD 8970M, but I unfortunately got a BSOD.

0 Likes

same for me.... i've alienware 18 dual with 290x

0 Likes

Thanks for that link kingfish. I gave it a try, but it couldn't find any potential installation issues

0 Likes

With regards to manually disabling ULPS in the registry, it seems that I don't have any "Enable ULPS" entries at all in my registry. Would such entries only exist if I was using a crossfire setup with multiple discrete GPUs?

0 Likes

No...a single card is the same. If your drivers were installed, you would have it.

0 Likes

I gave that a go but unfortunately no problems were found.

0 Likes

I tried the method given by ax7, using his "EnableUlps Watcher Service", but unfortunately that didn't work for me. I performed a clean driver uninstall using DDU in safe mode, booted Windows 10 up again normally and ran install64.cmd. I then made sure I was not connected to the internet, enabled my HD 8970M in device manager, and tried installing the AMD Adrenalin 18.5.1 drivers. Alas, my system still hung during installation.

I'm running Windows 10 version 1803 if that's useful.

0 Likes

Hey Jeff,

I feel your pain.  The latest drivers I can use are 18.3.4.

I've tired everything and I have given up.

0 Likes

according Clevo Download Support  for your Laptop there aren't any Windows 10 drivers. There is VGA Driver for your GPU card 8970m but it is for Windows 8.0: CLEVO Driver Download

VGAAMD HD8970M VGA card driver (12.103.0.0) for Windows 8.HD8970M.zipUSA
ASIA
EUROPE
2151862013/6/18

It is possible your Laptop is not compatible with Windows 10. Need to contact Clevo Support and see if you laptop can be upgraded to Windows 10 since they have no drivers for that particular laptop model.

Windows 10 should work since the requirements are similar to Windows 8/8.1, in my opinion.

0 Likes

Hi elstaci,

My HD 8970M worked fine with Windows 10 up until the most recent Windows 10 update. It also says that the 8000M series is supported by Windows 10 on AMD's website (Windows® 10 Driver Support for AMD Radeon™ Graphics Products | AMD)

0 Likes
games123
Journeyman III

can't install latest AMD 18.9.3 drivers black screen and all

0 Likes

Hi games123,

What GPU do you have?

0 Likes
chiragv
Journeyman III

I have exactly the same issue with my HD 8970m. I have a clevo chassis as well from a custom building website. The issue started about a month ago suddenly when my laptop froze and windows kept hanging after reboot. Since then I have had to use the laptop while disabling the graphics card to prevent window's hanging. I have tried all fixes and nothing has fixed it. I even installed windows 7 which did prevent the windows from hanging after driver installation however windows 7 itself disabled the graphics card straight away and gave the code 43 error on the graphics card in device manager.

0 Likes
nicktork
Journeyman III

Annotation 2019-06-27 223504.pngI have finally solved this and am happily running 19.6.2 on my Alienware 18 with dual m290x cards.  You basically have to buy a mini-DisplayPort to HDMI cable and feed the mini-DP output back in to the laptop's HDMI-In port.  The black screen issue goes away immediately.  You don't need to continue using the HDMI port forever: once the drivers are installed you can link/unlink the displays within the Radeon software, unplug the cable and use the laptop screen normally.

0 Likes