Journeyman III

UNEXPECTED_KERNAL_MODE_TRAP error installing windows

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

RAM: Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC

PSU: EVGA Supernova 550 G3

SSD: DREVO X1 PRO 1TB SSD

I've been putting together a new build and am getting an UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP error when I try to install Windows 10 Pro from a flash drive. I could really use some help finding the source of the error.

Looking around the internet the only relevant advice that I've found was that I may have a bad memory stick, so I've tried both 8 GB sticks individually with no change in behavior.  I've also verified that the processor is installed correctly, double checked the seating on all power cables, made sure that there were no extra standoffs shorting connections on the motherboard, and reformatted and redownloaded the windows 10 image to the flash drive.

0 Likes
2 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

janech, quick guess: not enough power.  Can you borrow, say, a 750 Watt PS and try it?  Where are you getting your Windows and what version is it.  Is that a 7F stop code?  Is there a dump file anywhere?  Unfortunately I cannot speculate where it would be.  Can you post the trap code - should be on the screen - picture.  The MS comment on this error is: "The UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP bug check has a value of 0x0000007F. This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap."  Weird, MS does not even know you have an AMD processor.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Make sure you have the CPU Power connector (8 pin connector) connected on the Motherboard.

This User explains how to install Windows 10 on a SSD: Clean install of windows 10 OS on new SSD-best procedure for - Microsoft Community

Once you have the bootable installation media created:

1. Shut down your system. remove the old HDD and install the SSD (there should be only the SSD attached to your system during the installation process)
  2. Insert the Bootable Installation Media
  3. Go into your BIOS and if SATA Mode is not set to AHCI, change it
  4. Change the boot order so the Installation Media is top of the boot order
  5. Save changes to BIOS and Reboot your system
  6. The Installation should start
  7. During the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC', and activation will not be an issue, your PC will have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Servers
  8. During the installation process, your system will reboot, at that point, you may need to go into your BIOS and change the boot order so your system boots from your Hard Drive, otherwise the installation may start all over again - do not remove the installation media at this point
  9. When Window 10 has finished installing and the desktop appears, shut your system down
  10. If you have a second HDD bay install the old HDD into it and start your system
  11. Make sure you can see both drives in Windows File Explorer, if not you may need to restart a couple of times for Windows to recognise both drives
  12. Install any required drivers (can be obtained from the support page on the Website of the manufacturer of your system
  13. When your system is up and running,
  • copy your data (files, images, music . . . etc.) from the old HDD into a temporary folder in the SSD
  • format the old HDD and name it Data Drive
  • copy the files back onto the old HDD
  • Delete the temporary folder from the SSD

This is how to install Windows 10 using UEFI BIOS: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/bios-uefi-setup-guide-boot-from-cd-dvd-usb-drive-sd-card/

0 Likes