cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

omega13lives
Journeyman III

Trouble with drivers for 7790; flicker / blue screen / lock up

I have an R series 2xx graphics card (can't remember if it's R7 or R9) which I believe is an upgrade from the 7790 but my 7790 has 2Gb ram and the R has only 1Gb so I switched back.  My video game had a lot of short-term freezes which made it difficult to play.  I originally installed the AMD_VGADriver_Win7_Win8_Win8_1_VER13_152 driver and I seemed to get a little better results, but then I found the win7-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.5.1-may23 driver which made the game run much better with just minor freezes but then I had 2 Blue Screen incidents.  I then upgraded, doing a clean uninstall, to the win7-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.8.1-aug17 which ran great with no Blue Screen, but twice the PC just locked up and I had to hard boot.  So since then I have reverted to the previous AMD_VGADriver and no blue screens, no lock ups.  I just tested the video game (Tomb Raider) and it seems to work better than before I upgraded.  Still wondering why I can't install newer drivers?  I played this game a few years ago with 3 monitors and it worked great, and now I'm only using 1 of 2 for the actual game.  Would love to have 3 again.

0 Likes
7 Replies

Need to post your exact Windows Version you have installed.

Download GPU-Z or SPECCY to find out the Make & Model of your AMD GPU Card.

If you have Windows 8/8.1 installed. AMD doesn't support that Windows OS anymore so there won't be any updates for your GPU card except those already posted.

Once you find out the Make & Model of your GPU card, need to go to AMD Download site and download the correct AMD Driver: AMD Drivers and Support for Radeon, Radeon Pro, FirePro, APU, CPU, Ryzen, desktops, laptops .

Then follow this basic AMD installation procedure to install your AMD Driver:

install AMD driver:

1) Download the correct AMD Full Set of drivers from AMD Support. Make sure your Windows is fully updated via Windows Update. Windows Must be fully updated because the latest AMD Drivers requires all the latest "Optional" and "Recommended" updates to be installed.

2) Use Windows Uninstall to uninstall current AMD driver and software and disconnect the internet from your computer. Then use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from Wagnardsoft  Forum in Safe Mode. This will eliminate all traces of the AMD driver and software from your computer.

Delete C: \ AMD folder from the Root Directory. Reboot

3) Go to Device Manager and click "Display Adapter" and make sure you are on the MS Basic Display Adapter. If not, uninstall the AMD driver using Properties.

4) Try reinstalling the AMD FULL SET OF DRIVERS that you have downloaded manually. Make sure you disable the Internet to prevent Windows from installing a newer version. So configure windows to prevent it from updating drivers via windows update. So it has been mentioned to disable any anti-virus programs before installing AMD Drivers.

5) If the new AMD drivers installs and works correctly, delete again the C: \ AMD folder from the root directory. To save space on the HDD.

6) Enable both the Internet and Anti-Virus program (if applicable).

7) Go back to Device Manager and check your GPU card driver is working and identified correctly.

Sorry.  I have Windows 7 64bit.  According to GPU-Z the card is a ASUS HD7790 Series, but when I click on the Lookup button, it opens a web page that says AMD Radeon HD 7790.  The link you gave me sends me to the exact place I downloaded the 2 radeon adrenalin editions which gave me blue screens and lockups, which is why I reverted back to an older ASUS driver for this model.  I do have the latest Windows updates and will try the procedure mentioned.

Ok, I did all that.  I'll let it run for a few days or a week and see if I have any lockups.

0 Likes

keep up Post one way or the other.

Cross you fingers.

0 Likes

No such luck.  It just locked up today on the 18.8.1 driver.  Going back to the older driver again for testing.  If it doesn't lock up on that, I guess I'm stuck with it, unless I buy a different card.  OR I could re-swap out to the R(7?) card that only has 1GB ram.  If it does lock up on the older driver, then maybe there's something wrong with the card?

0 Likes
xv4xv4x
Adept II

Have you tried the drivers from the Asus website here? HD7790-DC2OC-1GD5 Driver & Tools | Graphics Cards | ASUS Global

Since the card you have is the Asus variant, their drivers might be more applicable.

It also may be better to install the driver directly from device manager instead of the executable file.

0 Likes

Thanks, that is the first driver I mentioned, the VER13_152.  So far no lockups or crashes but if it does, I'll go back to that one.  Or consider a different card.  Not sure if the decision is right to use an older card with 2GB or the newer R (270?) with only 1GB.

0 Likes
omega13lives
Journeyman III

Ok, I'm going to reply to my original post to keep it clear.  Since I removed the newer AMD drivers and reinstalled the older ASUS driver, I have had no problems at all.  Haven't played any newer games since then but will probably have to reduce the graphics to smooth out the gameplay, which is annoying since I don't remember having to do that before, even running 3 monitors.  I have a decent, slightly older quad core processor and 16 GB of RAM so it should run ok with either video card.  Maybe there is something else eating CPU.  I'll try killing any programs and processes I don't need.  I might try AMD's GPU Tweak again but when I chose the Optimal (highest) settings, it made the computer unusable.

0 Likes