cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mfabian
Journeyman III

Programs start Blank Screen with lates update Radeon RX 540

Yesterday, Windows 10 installed the latest driver update 18.8.2 for my Radeon RX 540 on my HP Elitebook 850.

The consequence was that some programs started up with a blank screen. The programs did work (in fact, clicking on areas where a button supposed to be, caused a reaction) but everything in these programs was white.

Programs affected: SSMS (SQLServer Management Studio), Windows Power Shell ISE, ServiceTierAdministration.

However most programs still worked fine. Namely Excel, Word, Outlook, Firefox, Edge.

I tried to downgrad to driver version 18.5.1 but that didn't solve the problem.

Solution: In Device Manager I disabled Display Adapter "Radeon 500 Series". Using the default Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 instead.

(Wondering, why my Laptop has two Display adapters in first place).

As I use my Laptop for work and not for gaming, the solution with the deactivated Radeon works for me.

Nevertheless I wanted to bring this bug to the attention of AMD to help you avoid a bunch of frustrated gamers out there :-)

0 Likes
1 Solution
mfabian
Journeyman III

I guess I need to apologize for the above post, blaming the Radeon drivers for my "White Screen" problems.

I found the culprit: it's duetdisplay (www.duetdisplay.com), a software which allows to connect an iPad via USB to the laptop.

After uninstalling duet (and re-installing Radeon 18.8.2) everything works fine.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
mfabian
Journeyman III

I guess I need to apologize for the above post, blaming the Radeon drivers for my "White Screen" problems.

I found the culprit: it's duetdisplay (www.duetdisplay.com), a software which allows to connect an iPad via USB to the laptop.

After uninstalling duet (and re-installing Radeon 18.8.2) everything works fine.