cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Well, the GeForce 2000 series is here...

And as expected, with zero competition from AMD expected for another year if not more, they priced them, which are up to 50% faster than the 1000 series, well above the 1000 series. Everyone loses, except for nVida's stockholders...But even as things stand, AMD's still price handicapped against the 1000 series with Vega...

0 Likes
12 Replies

And the 1000 series clearance starts

0 Likes

That's actually good for AMD.  Since NVidia tends not to maintain stock of the previous generation, users will have to shell out at least $600 to go NVidia once the existing stock clears.

0 Likes

Not true as nVidia has not revealed prices or official specs for the 2060 and 2050, and with the 2070 and 2080 being so much faster than the 1000 series, it is entirely plausible the 1060 and 1070 are rebranded as the 2060 and 2050, we will find out the closer it gets to October, but it is certain they will be priced lower than $500. As the bulk of sales come from the sub $300 range, the midrange, nVidia will not abandon this market, though it will put AMD in dire straits. Also remember that nVidia has hundreds of thousands of GPUs collecting dust in a warehouse because the cryptocurrency bubble burst, so at the minimum they have more than enough to supply the midrange market for the next year while AMD flails.

0 Likes

You were kicking yourself in the rear for not getting a GTX 1080 a year or so ago (maybe two years?) when they were on sale. Just after Vega was released I think. Maybe this would be good time to replace that Fury. Before it dies.

0 Likes

If it dies I'll get either a 1060 or RX 580, high end cards are too expensive right now without competition from AMD.

0 Likes

It will also depend on how much faster the 2000 series cards are that the 1000 series in traditional workloads.

Don't Buy the Ray-Traced Hype Around the Nvidia RTX 2080 - ExtremeTech

0 Likes

I don't think ray tracing is a gimmick but it's definitely not ready for prime time. And unless the RTX 2080 is significantly faster than the GTX 1080 I can see alot of people hanging onto their older cards. The problem for AMD is the bar is even higher for them to compete now. Who knows. By the time they come out with their next high end card Intel might even have something out. Maybe. But if your one of those people who were waiting for the crypto bubble to burst I'd jump on a card right now. None of them will fall in price much.

0 Likes

It's not the people with 1000 series cards that nVidia is targeting, most people don't upgrade every year, it's the AMD crowd with RX 480s, 390s, or older who are not able to wait until 2020, or the uses of the 900 or earlier Geforce series who want a card with double their power or more while consuming the same or even less power.

But this is August, never the time to buy a new graphics card.

0 Likes

Just because the crypto bubble burst doesn't mean it can't rear it's ugly head again in one form or another. Some people just won't learn. Then the price of a mid range card could jump up to what you can get a high end card for now. Or close to it. Spend a little extra money on something that's more than what you need and you'll be good for 3 years.

That's why I bought my Fury, but there is very little reason to buy a high end card until at least 2019 when RAM prices are projected to decrease. Also remember AMD has yet to respond to the GTX 1000 series price cuts, and currently Vega 64 still sits 25% more expensive than the 1080, a card it is on par with .

0 Likes

It would be nice to see a price drop in those Vega cards to match the 1080, at least until they sell out.

0 Likes

I don't think it is a gimmick either, I just think it will be a while before it is actually used.  What is incredible, is how closely gaming performance tracks with the fill rate in each NVidia generation in the Extreme tech article.  It is also interesting the the fill rate on the GTX 2080 is actually lower than the 1080, while the GTX 2080 TI is only 5% faster in that metric than the GTX 1080 Ti.

If performance tracks with fill rate again, we may have cards that perform almost identically in current games vs the previous generation but at a substantially higher cost.

0 Likes