Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • AMD Radeon 530 Series
  • Laptop System
    • HP Notebook - 17 - by0053cl
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 x 64
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Version 17.7 (Newer Updates seem to crash and revert)

• Driver Packaging Version:  17.40.2815.1008-180223a-327636C-HP
  • Display Devices
    • Listed as Generic PnP Moniter @60 Hertz. Likely HP Display Panel: HD, BrightView, SVA, touch-on panel (TOP) L22563-001 as it is the only manual listed panel with touch capacity.
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • L22747-601  (From BIOS, System board ID: 84CB, uncertain if this is simply used for system identification)
    • BIOS Version F.11     Vendor: Insyde
  • CPU/APU
    • Intel Core i5-8250U processor
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • HP, HQ-TRE, 71025      HP Part NO:854055-003    65W
  • RAM
    • 12GB

Describe your issue:

I have read a lot of posts on this forum of people curious about an Identification change when updating the radeon software to this card series, That is not what I'm here to inquire about as the question has been addressed. As I understand it as the architecture of the 530 series is Identical to another, this is why the software is changing how it sees it.

My problem is I have been reading up on the type of graphics setup this is as it's listed as "Hybrid". Support is fully permitted to correct me, but as I understand it concerns of energy consumption has pushed manufactures to consider how to set up graphical performance in laptop systems. This has created the hybrid concept where if the laptop is plugged in and in performance mode software will determine the graphical processing load required and automatically switch to pushing work overload onto the Dedicated GPU as needed to assist in performance.

I have manually updated drivers for both the Intel Graphics and AMD Graphics, flashed my BIOS to the latest I could find, had the laptop plugged in, all power settings that I could find set to High Performance, adjusted the settings in the Intel UHD software to maximum performance, made sure the Radeon Software was set to high performance, but it seems no matter what I do the AMD GPU will never be utilized.

The first game I attempted to play, and has been the benchmark for this claim, is the "Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy" distributed through Steam. I've come to understand that due to this system setup the detected graphics setup will always be "Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620" as it is working hybrid with the dedicated GPU (The game Shows this). However, using the understanding that past a certain windows and Radeon update I can monitor GPU performance through the Task Manager, the Radeon 530 Series (GPU1 in my system) never registers activity. From the game's default lowest settings to it's highest.

Currently I'm running the game at:

• Windowed
  • 1280x800
  • Max FPS 60
  • VSYNC on
  • Motion Blur off
  • Preset Low
  • Anti-Aliasing off
  • Shadow Resolution Low
  • Ambient Occlusion off
  • Bloom off
  • Depth of Field off
  • Fur Blur off

Game Version Current as of 08/22/2018

Now, I'm not expecting fantastic performance from this system as it is entry level. However if it can run Fortnite (advertised) at lowest fidelity with no stutter it should run quite a few modern titles at lowest settings with no stutter or lag. I experience similar problems with other games I have tried to play on the laptop.

Are there known issues with this system?

Are there known issues with the Radeon 530 series?

Are there known issues with Intel UHD 620?

Is this issue resolvable, or contingent on a future AMD or Intel software update?

HP provided me with no answers other than telling me it was a hybrid setup and suggesting I call a paid service hotline. I'm hoping the good people on the AMD forums here can help more than they did. If any of the information here is lacking I would be more than happy to supply more. The solutions found through this forum post may help to resolve these issues in the future for people paying for this computer and receiving less than they paid for. I eagerly await a reply.

Message was edited by: Geoffrey Wright
Edited Line "BIOS Version F.11 Vendor: Insyde" to enhance clarity.

3 Replies

I am not familiar with that game, but laptops will not use the discrete graphics for any OGL application or game.

Are there any yellow marks in Device Manager?

Did you use the monitor to check graphics usage, as outlined here:

Configuring Laptop Switchable Graphics on a Windows® Based System | AMD

As stated in my original post, yes I utilized the Task Manager to look at the GPU activity. I'll supply some imagery here:

Device_Manager_Clip.jpg

Task_Manager_Analytics.jpg

However I'll need you to explain the "OGL" in OGL application, but worth noting this game came to PC this year (2018) on July 6.

A game that more people would be familiar with that I'm also encountering the same problems with is Guild Wars 2, another Warframe.

**********Discovery as I was posting this**********
The error with this particular game was a shortcoming of the Radeon Software to create a profile for the game. After I created a profile I've begun to detect activity!

Settings.gifActivity_detected!.png

However, something interesting of note, I had to go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Edit Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings and ensure the following were changed:

• Intel (R) Graphics Settings
    • Intel (R) Graphics Power Plan
      • Plugged in: Maximum Performance
  • PCI Express
    • Link State Power Management
      • Plugged in: off
  • Switchable Dynamic Graphics
    • Global Settings
      • Plugged in: Maximize Performance
  • AMD Graphics Power Settings
    • AMD Powerplay Settings
      • Plugged in Maximize Performance.

I will attempt launching the other games mentioned above to see if I manage activity for those applications as well. Thank you to the moderators for approving this post and to kingfish for responding. If everything works out we have our answer for people buying this model of HP.

0 Likes

Everything is registering clear on GPU activity.

Guild_Wars_2_regestering.jpg

Warframe_regestering.jpg

To get it working:

1. Have the laptop plugged in so that it can run at peak performance, and to ensure power for updates.
  2. Get the updated BIOS and Intel Graphics driver from HP's  HP Notebook - 17-by0053cl support page​ and install them.
  3. Ensure the Radeon software has set up a profile under System > Installed Profiled Applications for the games/applications you are trying to run. (As referenced by kingfish​ : Configuring Laptop Switchable Graphics on a Windows® Based System | AMD )
  4. Ensure that the Windows Power management settings, as described in my previous post, are actually permitting the GPU to be used.

A quick and dirty method could be to right-click your system tray battery icon and select Windows Mobility center

System_tray.jpg

Once there, under Battery Status select High Performance.

Battery_Status.jpg

0 Likes