Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jaybonaut
Adept II

2600X temperature hits 95°-96°C transcoding video - with included Wraith Spire

Is this the design intent?  Please help:

I haven't owned an AMD product since the original Athlon (no, I am not kidding.)  I wanted to build a transcoding machine as a Plex server for movies and such and due to all the hype around Ryzen I thought I would toss them some money and check it out.

When I finish ripping a DVD of mine I use Handbrake to transcode it down to a more reasonable size.  This can take varying lengths but to give me time to test it out for this particular thread, I took a 4K video and set up Handbrake to use my DVD preset and go at it.

I hit the temps listed in the title within a little while and it will float from 94°-95°C for a good 40 minute offline transcode.  I have everything but the RAM set to Auto in the motherboard bios.  Bios, Windows 10 64, AMD processor/chipset driver are all up to date as of today.  Windows is set to Windows Balanced power settings and not the Ryzen one - lowest CPU is allowed is 5% with that power plan and 100% is highest.  The Wraith Spire is locked on there pretty tight - it won't move and is flush with the included TIM.

Even idle this thing will sit from 38°- 41°C with the included cooler.  Is this thing designed to not be used for this kind of stuff?  Transcoding via Plex is easier on it and doesn't get near that temp unless a person transcodes a 4K stream to a lower rez, but I prefer offline transcoding that kind of file for obvious reasons.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X using Wraith Spire cooler (3.6-4.2 GHz)

16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz Ram

ASUS ROG Strix X470-I AM4 mini-ITX motherboard

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 2GB Graphics Card

Thermaltake Toughpower SFX 600W 80+ Gold Modular PSU

Cooler Master Elite 130 mini-ITX Case

XPG ADATA SX8200 NVMe M.2 2280 480 GB OS drive

Seagate Barracuda Pro 8TB 256MB Cache media drive

https://i.imgur.com/MGisZKh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/H1bboCK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9Go79Sc.jpg

Included some pics.  Am I going to damage my processor?  I am not overclocking it manually at all - it supposedly does it on its own.  I believe they call it XFR.  It does lower the clock as it gets hotter but I can't imagine why it won't go even lower with that kind of temp.

Is there a built-in temperature offset or something for the 2600X?  What can I do?  etc.

0 Likes
46 Replies

Is he running the computer with the sides off? If so, that would eliminate poor air circulation.

0 Likes

yes, this will help a bit but good air circulation is always fan forced (intake/exhaust combined airflow in closed case)

However, in his case a decent heatsink, like the Hyper 212 or similar, is a key factor to better temps.

0 Likes

Yeah because the fan that can be seen directly next to the CPU doesn't count and stuff right Noodles?

0 Likes

If it would count your temps would be much better, no?

0 Likes

No.  Perhaps you haven't read the thread.

0 Likes

if the metal of yor case (behind mobo) gets hot you should improve airflow. if i dont clean my dust filers my case top gets hotter and hotter. remove filter, nice and cool again.

but i also think the airflow should be fine for such a small case.

0 Likes

The rear where the PSU is seated and the IO is for the mobo does not have the capability of additional airflow.  The mobo sits horizontally and not vertically like in a typical ATX midtower.  Both sides however can.

0 Likes