cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Why does AMD constantly seem make it difficult to find older GPU Drivers?

Hi,

I constantly find it difficult to find old AMD Drivers for the AMD GPU's I work on.
Is there some reason that AMD is deliberately trying to make life difficult for people who need older AMD Drivers?

I understand that AMD will likely want to point people to the very latest available Adrenalin 18.8.1 drivers, as there may be some new fixes or new features that work.

It is also probably useful to push people to newest drivers so more "testing in the field" is done.

However there are cases where people will need a specific AMD Driver, for older hardware or testing reasons, or because the latest drivers crash or have a problem.

I constantly seem to have to go on an internet  hunt to find old AMD drivers.

The following links used to work for me:

Previous_Win10

Previous_Win8.1

Previous_Win7

Using the above links I used to be able to get older Adrenalin, Crimson ReLive, Crimson, and Catalyst Drivers for R9 FuryX and Nano cards and below.

The new link for R9 Fury Series Windows 10 64 bit is now found here:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-fury-ser...

Now I can only go back to the last Crimson ReLive Driver for Windows 10 64bit for example.

Is it possible that this could be fixed and you could populate the list with all of the old drivers including Catalyst Drivers please?

Thanks.

0 Likes
25 Replies

Yes I found  that out also with the new AMD Download Website. I needed an older previous AMD Driver than the one listed for the GPU card I was looking at.

At the top of the new AMD Download Page, click on the Search icon. Input the exact previous driver you need and it will show various links at AMD Download to that driver. I just did it and it worked successfully.

Good to know about the search, I would prefer the list as it was myself. I saw and already mentioned this that the the legacy crimson driver for the HD 4xxx series isn't even shown as a download anymore. And that was the last driver however a beta.  I get them wanting a better interface but they didn't need to eliminate so many helpful links and choices. I have never been a fan of their Website team. The site is terrible IMHO. I have built a lot of websites and don't get why a big company like AMD doesn't do way better in this regard, it just isn't that tough. I find Guru3D to have a decent repository of older drivers too. They could have easily also still given a link to the old page as it was with all the old links being noted that only the new page would be updated moving forward. In the past you saw that a lot on hardware driver pages of various sites. Kinda covers you in both ways while you sort out the change over.

Hi,

I already tried that.

See what happens if you look for AMD Crimson 16.1

I see this:

pastedImage_0.png

OK, then click on the top one:

pastedImage_2.png

It takes me back to here:

pastedImage_3.png

Not very useful.

AMD have removed or moved the old drivers to somewhere else.

Bye.

0 Likes

Your right. Same thing happened to me right now with the driver you posted.

I guess it depends on what type of AMD Driver you are trying to download.

I inputted this driver in search : Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1. Went to the same type of web page with the links and clicked on the link. I was able to download the driver.

Maybe, in this case, the AMD driver you are trying to download is a Non-GCN Driver rather than a regular GCN AMD Driver which is why is referred you back to the original Download page.

It is possible that Non-GCN Drivers would be installed by Windows Update and AMD felt it was no longer needed to be downloaded from AMD Support. Just guessing though.

0 Likes

Hi,

I selected the GCN driver. I should still be able to get non GCN as well.

I should not have to search these old driver release notes.

I should be able to go to the old drivers page and see a list all the way back to pre-GCN drivers as well.

RE: It is possible that Non-GCN Drivers would be installed by Windows Update and AMD felt it was no longer needed to be downloaded from AMD Support.
Windows Update cannot be relied on at all to install the correct drivers nonGCN or GCN hardware, see my recent post about that or look at problems people have had with mixed GCN and non-GCN GPU. Microsoft removes existing drivers and installs wrong drivers, leaving them with bricked laptops... 

Bye.

there is also 16.1 for non-GCN

btw - AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta for Non GCN Products Release Notes is latest non-GCN (but BETA)

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS

So most likely the reason why it doesn't download the driver colesdav​ wanted was because it was a Hot Fix .

How did you find that driver webpage download? Through AMD Download Search or did you google it?

0 Likes

i know that site because i used that driver on my A10-5757m + HD8750M laptop

there is also a newer modded driver (not by AMD) that could help you - if you want i can provide link

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

It was another User here at the Forum that was trying to get Vulkan DOOM to work but couldn't. Riddit thread mentioned about that particular AMD driver to use its Vulkan version to use with the latest AMD Driver Package as a workaround. Didn't work though.

Thanks for the offer though!

0 Likes

16.101.X [Pre-GCN driver pack] | guru3D Forums

here a more modern version
and yes, you can create a driver chimera - i also did when crimson didnt had ability to change brightness in driver

0 Likes

Hi,

There is another reason why AMD may not want Microsoft installed Drivers on your machine.

The AMD Adrenain 18.8.1 installer does not see them, on machines I have tested at least.
So if a user lets Microsoft install an AMD driver (perhaps by mistake) and then runs the AMD Adrenalin 18.8.1 Installer it does not detect or report the Microsoft installed driver and runs the installation anyhow.

Bye.

0 Likes

If what you are saying is true about AMD and Windows Update then why does AMD say to let Windows Update to install the correct Drivers for GPUs HD 4xxx and older.: Driver Support for AMD Radeon™ HD 4000, HD 3000, HD 2000 and older Series

The last operating system supported using the AMD drivers was Microsoft Windows® 8 with the AMD Catalyst 13.1 driver package, which can be downloaded from the AMD Driver page : http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Driver support for these products under Windows® 8.1 and Windows® 10 is only available via Windows Update. Please enable Windows Update to allow it to automatically detect and install display driver version 8.970.100.9001

0 Likes

Hi,

It is true and I will create a post to show it. I have the pictures.

Note I made sure to run Windows search for any  pre-existing WU-CCC2 folder or WU-CCC2 folder contents or C:\AMD anywhere on my systems.
I found nothing.

I have no idea why AMD recommend running Windows Update for those older drivers, maybe in that case it works and they checked it.
They, like everyone,  are not always right.

Bye.

0 Likes
benman2785
Big Boss

click here

see - its easy

0 Likes

I found if you use the drop down there are more versions listed:

Hi,

More versions of what? Drivers for R9 FuryX or Cards?
I can't seem to find more R9 Fury X drivers unless I search for specific known drivers from old AMD release notes.

First one I searched for Crimson 16.1 at random came up with nothing.

I think the Previous Drivers page needs to be very easy to find and needs to have a list of available drivers downloaded from there, extending all the way back to earliest Catalyst Drivers for the R9 Fury X for example.

I still think the new Previous Drivers page needs more drivers added. I cannot see how or why that should be a problem for anyone.
It seems so obvious I do not know why I have to report it.
It just makes life difficult not putting them where they should be.

Bye.

0 Likes

I agree..I haven't found the 'previous driver' link yet. Normally it was on the driver download page.

0 Likes

Hi,

You have to search for the latest drivers for you card first.

It will take you to a list of drivers, and on that page there is a tiny "Previous" Link on the lower l.h.s. side of the page.
Clicking on that link will take you to the now very limited set of previous drivers.

There must be many people with older hardware looking for older drivers for many reasons.

I am sure it would save many people time if the Previous Drivers page was made easy to find and populated with all previous drivers for a GPU card.
Links to the release notes should also be listed, but at that stage I am likely in the realms of fantasy.
I will post you a few screenshots if you cannot find the Previous Driver link.

Bye.

0 Likes

Seems like any old AMD Download websites that had been deleted, its link automatically takes you to the new AMD Download page.

Found this website that has most of the old previous AMD Catalyst Drivers to download. Don't know how reliable the site is but you can download the AMD Driver 12.1 from there. Version history for AMD Radeon Catalyst Software Suite (64-bit)

Click on the tab that says "All Versions". It will give a list similar to AMD old Previous Driver website.

There is a CATCH though. Copied from download site to download Catalyst 12.1 driver:

Downloading using download assistant

Your download will be completed using a download assistant, which ensures that your download will originate from AfterDawn.

You will first download the download assistant. After you have downloaded it, run the small executable to start the download.

Depending on your location you may see 3rd party sponsored offers during the installation. You may opt out of the offers by clicking on Skip or Decline during the installation, or by unselecting the un-wanted software options from the installer.

The download is bundled with sponsored offers to cover some of the costs of maintaining our download servers. If you prefer a non-installer version, please click here to download the software without the installer.

NOTE: Both of my browser security extensions (Web of Trust & Mcafee) says the website is safe.

0 Likes

Hi,

Yes, not really good though is it? Having to rely on some 3rd party site to get your drivers...

Guru 3D used to have a list of working drivers but they were taken down, then back, then down again.

I just stopped looking there.

The Previous Drivers situation needs fixed.
I do not know how i report an issue like this to AMD, other than using a feedback form on the web page itself or reporting this issue here.

Bye.

0 Likes

This Forum is run by AMD Moderators, so they are aware of your concerns by just opening this thread. I guess they are the ones that can answer you questions as to why certain download sites have been deleted.

0 Likes

I don't know about they see every thread. My experience would be maybe a tenth. If so so many things wouldn't go unanswered unless they don't care. The only reasonable explanation IMHO is they don't see them all. Plus Matt is on vacation so I doubt he will catch up on every thread when back. Ray doesn't respond here even a tenth of what he used to. I myself just keep submitting blind submission reports that I think go off into the void somewhere. I am only saying this not in an attempt to really correct what was said, but I don't want to perpetuate the already believed by so many new people idea that they get help from actual AMD in these forums. That is an exception not the rule at best, at least since I have been watching. I certainly get the feeling it was better at one time.

Hi,

Since we are on here lots, giving plenty of "customer support" for free, testing and reporting Game and Driver issues, you would hope someone would listen to us. Or else maybe they think we are stupid for spending so much time here on these AMD forums for free?
I don't know.

Bye.

0 Likes

Many times the AMD Moderators are aware of the thread but don't answer for various reasons. I have posted several comments in threads in various AMD Forums that the Moderators haven't replied in but then out of the blue one of them will make a comment.

I imagine that JIVE checks all new threads being posted and alerts the Moderators. Many comments JIVE flags for Moderator's approval. If you Mention one of the AMD Moderators or someone else in your comment, I believe JIVE, alerts the Moderators and other persons through the Alert button or for the Moderators maybe in a more direct way. just theorizing .

pokester​ you are correct that many new Users believe that by opening a thread here they will be helped by AMD Support. They don't realize that this a User to User Forum moderating by AMD Employees.

0 Likes

Ok..I found it..thanks.