cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

samslug9
Journeyman III

2700x gaming - my games run at high frame rates but every once in a while my game freezes... HELP!

my games run at high frame rates but every once in a while my game freezes for 3 seconds and on rare occasions it crashes. Does anyone know what i could do to fix this or what the problem is?

0 Likes
3 Replies

Nowhere near enough information to diagnose this for you, but I can take a stab in the dark.

1) Driver. Windows will install default generic drivers for things like the chipset, but these won't always be a good match for the hardware. Install the latest drivers from your motherboards support website. All of them.

2) BIOS. The platform's still new and your motherboard may have BIOS updates available that resolve issues like this or improve performance or hardware compatibility.

3) Data corruption. Games today are typically downloaded, sometimes data gets corrupted in transit. If it's only one or two games that do this, try verifying the game files in Steam/Origin/etc.

4) Background activity. The problem could be a rogue background process or virus. Shutting down background tasks and unused services might help with the former - an offline virus scan like the Avira rescue CD will catch the latter.

5) Memory corruption. Easy but time consuming to check; run memtestx86 overnight. If it reports errors, try backing off your RAM timings or stepping down a speed tier.

6) Disk corruption. Windows stores some live data on disk in a process known as "swapping". This is more frequent on machines with less memory. A bad disk sector could cause data corruption if something gets stored in the bad sector, eventually leading to a recovery or crash. Windows has a built in tool to check disks for bad sectors - this article​ give a good run down on how to use it. Just be aware that this is a long process, so should probably be done overnight.

7) Final possibility is that PSU is underpowered for the hardware it's driving, causing voltage drops. This is the least likely option as most good power supply units have protections against it, but I've seen it once or twice.

0 Likes
lilith5th
Adept II

I still didnt get to try it out since I have a similar problem, but try setting your windows power profile to "performance", and disable any sort of standby option in windows and bios. give me an update how it goes if you try it out

I think its safe to assume that the problem is not your mbo, ram, PSU and GPU, since the main page of the forum is full of reported 2700x freezes... and AMD keeps ignoring it.

samslug9, please post your complete system specifications including power supply, OS version and UEFI version.  I recommend at least a 750 Watt power supply and a fresh install of your OS.  Do not use a cloned or copy of a boot disk.  I do not work for AMD as most here.  I recommend the Ryzen Balanced power plan and if you do not have it, then you do not have the AMD chip set drivers and must DL and install the latest AMD drivers from the AMD driver website - use the manual option.  I think it is not safe to assume that your problem is not your MB, RAM, PSU or GPU.  Is your RAM on your MB's QVL list?  Are you OCing or running an XMP?  Enjoy, John.

EDIT:  Please DL, install and run Ryzen Master and post the CPU temperature.

0 Likes